on 4 May 2015
This is the most amazing story about rowing. It captures the very heart and soul of the sport. If you row you will empathise with it on every level and feel the highs and lows as if they're your own If you don't and wonder why rowers are so passionate about their sport, this will show you why.
on 19 June 2016
I loved this book from start to finish - the history of the time both in America and Germany, made simple but interesting, the insights into the incredibly tough world of rowing and the guts of the nine boys in the boat, and the deeply moving personal story of Joe. A brilliantly written book.
on 10 July 2015
Was not sure after a few pages I was going to like this book, but glad I stuck at it, really grows on you. The book captures the era very well ,through
it covers some harrowing events in history, by the finish it very much has a feel good factor. Good over evil always a good storyline.
on 29 July 2013
If you've ever raced in a good eight you'll understand, this book will evoke memories of your crew and captures really well why we do it. If you've not yet been that lucky, it will inspire you to continue. Also paints a good picture of Seattle in the depression & the Berlin Olympics.
on 5 November 2015
After a number of recommendations from an old friend (we rowed together 50 years ago!) I bought it and was surprised by how moving I found it.
It's not just about rowing but is nicely contextualised in both 'dust bowl' America and nazi Germany. A very satisfying read.
on 22 August 2014
This is such a good book. Fantastic story, told remarkably well. The author captures the times effectively and the tension and emotion continually build towards a climax. As an ex rower I thought the author captures the exhaustion and exhilaration of rowing perfectly.
on 10 March 2015
As someone with no knowledge of rowing, apart from the Oxford and Cambridge encounter, I found. this book enthralling. The efforts these young men made to acquire the funds to stay in college in order to row and gain an education is remarkable. Highly recommended.
on 19 April 2015
The description of the life story of "the boat" and the American history of the just pre WW2 was amazing. A natural insight in to the world at that time.
An interesting read for historians, sports lovers (especially oarsman), boat builders and lovers of life
on 24 August 2015
I was not interested in reading this book but as it was chosen by my book group had to dig in. I am thoroughly enjoying it as it is so much more than a story about rowing. Fascinating insights into Amerca in the depression and life in Germany under the Nazis
on 15 August 2014
Quite a surprise this,I couldn't put it down even though I knew the ending. The journey was fascinating, American history,simple courage, endeavour against the backdrop of World War 2 - thank you I am better educated and informed by reading this. And humbled.