Format: Mass Market Paperback|Change

on 18 June 2012
This is certainly a decent enough read, but there's nothing here to justify the rave reviews it's garnered nor to provoke any controversy or anger. It's quite good, but one you'd want to borrow from the library for a week, or order from a cheap marketplace seller.

Despite what the best rated comment said I'm certain the author was not initially unsure about France. Sure there's a few things along those lines early on in the book, but I'd bet the mortgage that although they now appear near the front of the book they were written near the end, to show 'the story' of conversion from a skeptical expat to, largely, converted 'French parent'. I'm not saying she had no qualms about having children in a foreign land but essentially she's a massive Francophile immensely pleased to be living in Paris and, oddly, somewhat star-struck by (what seems to me ordinary) parenting. She does come over as quite an oddball in a way - hopefully it's just part of the spiel to differentiate her as an American from the French parents she's about to 'study' - but she seems a little insecure about herself as a parent, someone who needs(needed) a branded parenting 'method' to follow blindly and wholesale.

Parenting is about the easiest thing on earth, that's why everyone can do it and children aren't dropping dead every second of the day, but she writes as if she needs advice on everything, that everything comes as a revelation - from the novel notion that you might actually talk to your baby even when (s)he's too young to talk back, that you should explain things to young children/toddlers/babies 'cos they may well be taking it all in even if they can't process it right now, to baking cookies on a sunday, to you being in charge (why? because I said so), to expecting your children to say hello to a guest who comes to the door, to being quiet when mom's on the phone - all this basic stuff seems to blow her mind as examples of French parenting-in-excelsis. Lord knows what kind of childhood she had that these things are so mind-boggling.

I picked this up as we had lived in Paris for a couple of years so I know the place pre-kids, and also I'm English, married to an American and raising children in New York so I thought the 'bi-cultural' investigation would be interesting, fun. It was to a point. She's right about NY preschools, right that quite a few middle-class Anglophones like to tick off milestones with as much rapidity as possible and that many see life as a race. Perhaps it is more so than in France, where so many work in the public sector, but that's another story. Those are good points, and the contrast with France is illustrative of a different - arguably better and certainly less stress-filled- approach. I wonder if Chinese Mothers can fight the system in France or if they're content to let little Jacques-Feng do finger paints until he's 5 without learning the alphabet.

There was a lot of just normal adult behavior that was manufactured as a 'thing' - the whole 'cadre' thing I thought bogus. The fact you enforce rules and make your children say please, thank you, hello, be polite, honest and fair is for most just instinctive normalcy, such that it doesn't deserve a 'name', even if you point out that it's done unwittingly a name implies it's a real thing, however ethereal. There was a fair bit that was contradictory in the first 2/3ds of the book - mainly caused by the fact that she labels so much that should fall under the heading 'common sense' as a specific designed, national, co-ordinated if unspoken approach. Fair enough you might think, she has sold the book to a publisher and you've got to put something down, even when there's not really a whole lot to say.

After a while it becomes a little more true, if basically a little pointless, in that she starts to say that 'French parents do A. Except they're not rigid, so if that doesn't work they try B. And they're not too proud to try C if that doesn't work'. You don't say!! Basically decent French parenting, except with cultural specifics like 3 course meals every day and their attendant rituals, turns out to be more or less identical to decent British parenting, or decent American parenting and no doubt decent Bulgarian and Bolivian parenting too.

She does tend to use extreme examples from America and contrast them with mainstream decent parenting from France to declare France the winner by illustration. There are too many times when (middle/upper-middle class) Americans are all neurotic crazies experimenting with vegan diets, baby sign language and golf lessons for their 18 month old, and then thrown up against just plain old sensible but attractive Mme Clothilde who turns up all sensible and firm but fair. "Aha, French Parents Win!!" as she doesn't need to say.

The comparisons are often slightly disingenuous - for example giving the nationwide average of child mortality France vs US while purporting to compare middle/upper-middle class parenting. France has universal healthcare and the best/worst is narrow, America has healthcare that is far better (than in France) for those parents the author is supposedly focusing on, the national figure dragged down by the mortality figures of poor and immigrant America. I'm sure the infant mortality rates (or indeed generalized healthcare) at Mount Sinai or Lenox Hill would be the envy of France. That might be a take on the benefits of socialized healthcare (although when she calls things 'free' I'm not sure she's accepting the link to taxation), but it's not a strict comparison on point of her argument. There were a hundred and one things like that - not comparing like and like - when I read the book, but it's not like I took notes on particulars, I just noticed them reading through.

On a personal note it seems although the author is, rightly, trying to find a balance between her children's 'American' and 'French' sides she's not concerned at all about her children having an English or British identity. Their dad is British, as inconvenient as that may be to her. I know it's a book written to sell in the USA but to constantly describe her children as Americans born in Paris seems like she's fairly deliberately cutting out one whole half of their biological identity. The tone is ever so slightly annoyed that her one child speaks with a tinge of an English accent and positively thrilled when she was packed off to Miami and came back speaking with a fully American accent. It's not keeping me awake at nights, but it was something that out of my circumstances I noticed.

So yes, it's actually not a bad book at all, it's readable and if it's the type of book you're looking at on Amazon chances are you'll like it - but it's not great either. It's a library read or a cheap seller that you'll get through in a week, pick up a few interesting things about how the system works in France, a few interesting things that French parents do slightly differently, a few amusing things here and there. C'est tout.
66 comments| 56 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 15 April 2016
I love this book and I recommend it to all my pregnant friends and family. I read it before my first baby and now im reading it again before the birth of my second in a few weeks time. My daughter is 19 months old now and when I first read it I thought that alot of the info sounded like common sense and that I would def do as the French but reading it now, its like a breath of fresh air again, and I see that I have actually fallen into the trap of many of the non French moms, obsessing/anxious/guilt ridden- feelings that are expected of moms it appears.
Unfortunately the UK/Ireland is VERY like America now, especially when it comes to parenting, so I related to everything in those terms. I bought all the What to Expect and have Gina Fords full book collection and Baby Whisperer, but this book is the most practical and honest one and yes some argue its common sense but really, common sense goes out the window when you have small children-lack of sleep maybe?

I cannot praise this much more than telling you its a fantastic book for mommas who sometimes feel like the dont know what the hell they are doing and want a laugh and some to tell you to basically not sweat the small stuff. French mantra being happy momma is a happy baby.

I know this wont be the last time I read it :)
on 10 May 2014
I bought this book after my wife kept laughing at her foreign language version. I was intrigued what was making her laugh so much. So I bought my own version. I was not disappointed. Druckerman has written in a witty and engaging manner. As a soon-to-be new parent, I found the book contained some useful ideas on getting babies to sleep and children to eat a wide variety of foods. I discussed the book with a French friend who said that it is true many of the ideas are "accepted wisdom" in France. I liked this book so much I'm giving my copy to my brother and his wife who are also expecting a baby. I write an update once I've put the ideas into practice.
on 30 March 2014
We read this book and some academic articles about helping our baby "do it's nights". I liked the narrative style of this book although some might find it rambly. Our 4 month old daughter is currently sleeping 8 hours a night.
on 12 March 2015
I wish I had read this book seven months ago! There are so many helpful hints (particularly about sleeping). It is also really fun and entertaining to read. I am recommending it to all my friends with young children.
on 15 March 2013
This is an excellent book for new parents who are looking for a variety of ways to bring up their children. The surprise to me was that the book was written in the way of a novel, but nonetheless it contains valuable information that I will definitely put into upbringing of my child. Definitely recommend!
on 10 February 2014
I adore this book. It's fresh and personal and makes you feel as though you're having a conversation with the very smart author herself.
on 29 February 2016
I really enjoyed this book and would give it a resounding "tres bien". It's an interesting take on Anglo vs French ways of raising a child and I liked its chatty, informal style. It is smart, funny and observant and I liked witnessing the author starting as an alien in her surroundings and then slowly assimilating. The book steers away from being a baby manual and is more of an anthropological study of how the French deal with parenthood and kids. It gave me a lot of food for thought and the practical, no-nonsense approach from French Mums is to be applauded. So too is the childcare support from the State and society viewing women as women first, mothers second. As a twin mum though, I did have a wry smile at all the theory with one baby and then it going out the window when double trouble arrived!
on 22 October 2014
Well, that was same wording as in 'French Children don't throw food'. Disappointing a bit as i hoped for a different story not same copy/paste :(
on 28 August 2014
I love this book but a word of caution it's just French Children Don't Throw Food with a different title. Dur. Oh well, a friend will appreciate it x