Format: Paperback|Change

on 30 July 2013
I had been looking for this book for ages to read. I hadn't found it somewhere when the film was released so I went and watched it. It got me even more intrigued of reading the novel.
Now that I finally I found it I read it in 2 hours non-stop. It is truly one of the best novels I have ever read: Close's foreword, Moore's style, the descriptions, the plot, the characters.... Everything is so well and carefully written. The only reason I will rate this 4/5 stars is that I didn't like the fact that is was so short a novel. Not that Moore leaves any questions when you finish the book, I just think there could be much more going on.

P.S. English is not my mother tongue so pardon me if I have made mistakes.
on 5 October 2012
Such an incredible story and so beautifully written. George Moore was such a wonderful writer and his works deserve wider appreciation. I can recommend 'Esther Waters' if this one left you wanting more.
on 7 January 2015
Watched the film again now reading the book and enjoying it.
on 19 January 2016
deserves no stars really, i should have stuck to the dvd, very short book and not worth the money, very disappointing, books are usually better than the film, this one isnt, story line is not near how the film was, dont waste your money on this book,
on 18 June 2015
Having seen the film this filled in the gaps.
on 22 May 2015
Watched the drama on TV so wanted to read the book.
on 3 February 2016
excellent - see Glenn Close in the movie. Fabulous
on 25 July 2015
Nowhere near,as,good as the film.☹
on 12 June 2013
interesting story about a woman living as a man; writing style is slightly off somehow and the ending very downbeat, not a lot of drama to the story
on 30 May 2015