5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom and Joie de Vivre
This book is a joy to read and to look at. It is wise and life-affirming, funny and moving, honest and deep. It depicts a year in the life of author Maira Kelman through illustrations, photos, notes and very personal musings about life's sorrows and endless joys.
Published on 15 Dec 2008 by Ilaria S.

1.0 out of 5 stars Objet duh
Published 11 months ago by Simon Barrett

5.0 out of 5 stars Wisdom and Joie de Vivre, 15 Dec 2008
Ilaria S. (Trieste, Italy) - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite book, 19 July 2013
I loved this book so much that I bought it again as a gift for my friend as I wanted to share it!

Maira Kalman's work and thoughts are an absolute inspiration - I have since bought other titles in her name.

5.0 out of 5 stars Irresistable!, 25 July 2011
This review is from: The Principles of Uncertainty (Paperback)
This book was saved for me by my local librarian and, when I had to return it, I missed it so much I had to buy it.
I had seen Kalman's illustrations from time to time but not a thematic collection of them which is what makes this so special. She combines photographs, text, and paintings to record a whimsical, affectionate observation of the everyday and a real appreciation of the things we so often miss in our rushed lives.

"Perhaps Kalman's greatest gift is that her work embodies both the ironic and the earnest at their best, at the place where they come together and create lyrical, personal truth. She is such a magnanimous artist. She invites us, welcomes us, into the most intimate, unprotected place of all: daydreams."
Cathleen Schine

Irresistable indeed!

1.0 out of 5 stars Objet duh, 12 Sep 2013
Simon Barrett "Il penseroso" (london, england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Principles of Uncertainty (Paperback)
Penguin USA (or a subset thereof calling itself grandly The Penguin Press - no sign of their oh-so-undignified logo on the hardback) have done Maira Kalman proud with this livre d'artiste that thinks it's a comic book, somewhat weightier in the hand, alas, than in its self-regarding content. To quote from amazon.com, <the book is very unfriendly to the person who loves the feel of a "good read": it is unwieldy and inappropriately proportioned for a comfortable, cosy read. Why wasn't this "famous designer" more involved when it came to designing a great product to her customers? I think she'd lost interest long before the book came out> probably because it was originally a blog, which might explain why it's written in greetings card prose. Back to the kooky cult kids' books, Maira!

NB Of the four reviewers that gave this five stars, and were no doubt what induced me to buy it, one, Leo McMarley, was Kalman's British publisher (actually this is wrong; see my note to his review), two have reviewed no other book (always suspicious) and the only other book the fourth has reviewed (apart from another Kalman) is one on binge eating - make of that what you will

5.0 out of 5 stars A rare (and gorgeously produced) and wise book, 10 Jan 2008
Maira Kalman's book is a one-off, unlike anything I have come across and studded throughout without her distinctive and beautiful illustrations and a narrative that is both mad and sane in equal measure (just as we all are!).

The production is stunning and everything about this book makes it a joy to behold and lose yourself in.

Highly recommended for anyone who takes real pleasure in a book's physicality but also enjoys offbeat, quirky but genuinely wise women. Maira Kalman is all of these things

The Principles of Uncertainty
The Principles of Uncertainty by Maira Kalman (Paperback - 23 Nov 2009)
11.94