5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book
Published on 10 Sep 2010 by Penny Farthing

2.0 out of 5 stars Not exactly fit for all cases
Frankly, I was expecting something more from this book.
What I found here were basic concepts, don't waste money, avoid borrowing and shopping, and invest for the future...
Probably there is a category of people that could find this useful, but I suppose they are just a minority of us.
Published 20 months ago by CarloT

5.0 out of 5 stars A life-changing book, 10 Sep 2010
This review is from: Your Money or Your Life: 9 Steps to Transforming Your Relationship with Money and Achieving Financial Independence: Revised and Updated for the 21st Century (Paperback)
I had seen this book listed on many US blogs as an absolute classic of personal finance. However, to my surprise it is much more than a personal finance book. It says many things I've thought about work, and personal fulfilment, as well as financial priorities, but been unable to articulate, and much more. Although I haven't followed the book religiously, and won't do so in every respect, I have undertaken several of the steps so far. Calculating my lifetime earnings and net worth felt good, as did tracking every penny. I would heartily recommend this book to anyone, especially anyone who feels trapped in a high earning but unsatisfying job.

4.0 out of 5 stars Essential - if you can stick with it, 22 Sep 2010
Miss Anne Thrope (Halfway between the gutter and the stars) - See all my reviews
This is definitely a good book if you really need to get a hold of your finances. Don't be fooled, though: it takes a lot of commitment. I started doing the steps and then stopped half way through. However, I am determined to go back and do it properly. The authors are honest with you: if you don't have the commitment it won't work. This includes doing things like tracking every penny you spend for a few months. Yes, every penny. VERY boring for a carefree, numbers hating, lets-go-and-have-fun-instead person like me, but necessary if you really want to see change.

If you are anything like me (enough money, not in massive debt but can't be bothered to open bank statements so whoops, I'm in my overdraft again and hmm, where did that payrise go..?) then you probably know that you need to change your behaviour. This book does a good job of giving you the tools to do it...whether you follow them is up to you.

So, this is not a get rich quick thing. It's about understanding how you relate to money and addresses fundamental issues of the way we live today.

Buy it: it's good!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Way To See Where You've Been And Where You Could Be Headed In Your Financial Life., 13 Dec 2012
Brizdaz (Brisbane,Australia) - See all my reviews
A very good,but sometimes painful way of reviewing your life (not just financially)to see where you've been and to get a handle on where you would like to be heading with your life.
I got a lot out of reading this book,even if I never end up going through with the financial planning side of the book.
Possibly not a book I would give a suicidal friend to read,but a sobering book to read for sure.
Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Book, 14 Feb 2010
H. T. Breen - See all my reviews
This book enables the reader to put money and work vastly into perspective. The table that lists how many life energy hours that are left from a certain age is especially poignant.
A highly recommended read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book to give you focus and determination!, 29 July 2012
As soon as I received this book, I tore through it! The other reviews helped me choose this book, and I'm glad I did. I needed to put my finances into order and give them a direction, and it has helped me in so many ways. I can't apply everything that is advised in this book just yet, you have to pick and choose what is adaptable to your personal situation in that moment, but I am sure to go back to it many times to give myself a refresher course and keep my finances on track! Something that I was already doing was writing down income and expenses every month, but this book gave me great advice to go further with the monthly chart, and I am pleased to see my savings go up every month, even though I don't earn a lot! Because of this, I have managed to pay off all my debts in 6 months. It has given me lots of confidence and determination aswell. I have never been a big spender, but this has helped me have more control over my financial situation, and not have any nasty surprises.

I have recommended this book around me, and my copy is already in the hands of a friend!

5.0 out of 5 stars change the way you understand money, 4 Aug 2010
I borrowed this book from the library as a frugal method and was then convinced that it is worth a place on my fairly selective shelves so I bought a copy to refer to. It makes you view money in a new way. Whilst I haven't followed all the steps yet, I have started to reconsider my relationship with money. We know that it costs to work, but this book brings home the real cost of your job on your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars It Works - even in the UK, 28 Jan 2013
Originally bought this in the 90's and then this updated version.

Don't pass this by because it is an American book.

Quite simply if followed intelligently (you need to think through the financial sections that refer to US things like bonds etc and adopt them to UK financial vehicles) and by following some of the reference books in the bibliography and getting your head around the concepts - this can work. (A good companion volume is "Getting a life" by Blix and Heitmiller which covers real life examples in the US).

We practiced the principles in this book for a number of years - not slavishly, sometimes straying off the path, but we adopted what worked for us. For some aspects we've even done it a little bit differently.

But by cutting out the slack, thinking about how we spent, why we spent and what our future plans were, we even worked part-time at one point and paid more off the mortgage and saved more than when we worked full time. It never felt like deprivation at any point.

We were able to give up work at the age of 49, buy a house out of the city and now spend our time as we want to.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 17 Dec 2013
A great tool to guide your life, I highly recommend it for both people who want to become rich and those who want to live an average income life with lots of freedom.

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth Reading. Interesting and makes you think, 10 Dec 2013
This book is worth a read, especially if you can get a decent used copy.

Aims to change your attitude to money and does so to some extent.

It is going to be worth trying some of the processes and I may update this review after six months to see how they have worked out.

4.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 14 Aug 2013
Probably one book I would say everyone should read if you are looking at how money is affecting the quality of your life. It is simple to follow and makes complete sense.