4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended
Published on 22 Jun. 2010 by V. Ashford

Was supposed to be for under sixes, yet was graffic in places with a cartoon content, wouldn't recommend thought it would be better than it is to be honest. Will have to buy a more in depth one for my eight year and six year old.
Published 2 months ago by Sara H

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 22 Jun. 2010
V. Ashford "ASH1" (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Amazing You!: Getting Smart about Your Private Parts (Paperback)
I bought this book for my 7 year old following a lot of questions about babies etc. I wanted something that was clear, concise and simple and I reviewed many many books before deciding on this one. 'Amazing You' is simple and clear, without going into specific intimate details - as was the case with other books. This book gives sufficient information for a young child to deal with and understand the parts of the body of both male and female. Once read I expected to have many more questions, but it seems to have satisfied my 7 years curiosity for now. I would recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect, 24 Aug. 2013
Review originally written in 2009: This picture book as the title states is about the body's "private parts". The book is intended for children who are starting to ask questions about their own or the opposite sex's parts and what they are for. The book is written in simple language using correct medical terminology and the illustrations are simple, friendly and alternately show Caucasian and African American people.

What to expect: detailed discussion of male and female genitalia and reproductive organs, illustrations of full frontal nudity of children and full grown man and woman, description of a woman making an egg and a man making sperm, a description of an egg and a sperm meeting to grow a baby and how a mother knows when it's time for the baby to be born.

What not to expect: This book skips over s*xual int*rc*urse completely, as well as the function of breasts, and the delivery process.

This book is aimed at children coming to you with their first questions. For example my son wanted to know what his testicles were for and did I have them. When I said girl parts were completely different he wanted to know what they looked like. (He's been told girls don't have his same parts many times but he's never cared to ask any further before). This book was perfect for answering my son's questions; it contained just the right amount of information. There is a heavy emphasis on "private parts" being private which easily allow a parent to further emphasize safety issues on "bad touches" if they wish. My son only had two small questions not answered in the book, but I was able to use the illustrations as visuals to give him the answers he sought. I am very pleased with this book. It serves its purpose in an easy-to-use, friendly manner, accessible to all.

From a Christian point of view, if you are ok with the review up to this point you will find that although the book is secular it is perfect for use in a Christian home. There is one sentence that some Christians may wish to skip over which does advocate the touching of one's private parts in private. Nothing else of any concern.

4.0 out of 5 stars Amazing you, 10 Feb. 2011
really well written and very useful -I have used this with my 6 year old and it has been and will continue to be a great resource.

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfectly pitched for young minds, 18 Nov. 2013
I did a lot of searching for a 'facts of life' book for my two children (4yr & 6yr). I didn't want anything too graphic or too mature. I settled on three books Hair In Funny Places and What's the Big Secret?: Talking about Sex with Girls and Boys and this one.

This is the only one I have chosen to share with them so far (I have kept the others for when they are older as they are good but contain images and topics I don't think are suitable for this age(intercourse, masturbation, wet dreams etc.)

This book however, I felt, was just right. It mainly talks about the differences between girls and boys bodies - which at this age is what they are mainly interested in, I reckon. Please don't think the images of naked adults are in any way 'too graphic' as another review said - they are lovely and innocent in their cartoon depictions.

It does cover eggs and sperm but does not say about, or show any, sexual intercourse and my guys seemed perfectly happy without further explanation. It also only briefly mentions that their bodies will change as they get older without going into teenage issues.

Overall I think this is a great book for young children, looking at private parts without too much detail. I didn't feel embarrassed at all reading it to them. It now sits on our library bookshelf amongst all our other books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Educational book, 15 July 2013
Mostly suitable for my 5 year old this book arrived when I was told it would and was well packaged. We will look at only selected pages to help learn about bodily functions and but I am sure it will be very useful over the next two years as my son becomes more curious about bodies.

3.0 out of 5 stars wouldn't recommend thought it would be better than it is to ..., 5 Jan. 2015

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, 16 Nov. 2013
I thought the content of the book was good, however i personally feel its a bit to much information for a four year old and would say it was more for 6+

4.0 out of 5 stars curious minds!!, 9 Oct. 2013
I bought this book for my 7 year old to explain things in a simple manner. The first part of the book is great but it does go into detail about names of body parts, so I decided to leave this aside for the moment until my son is about 9. I think it would be more suitable at that age. Its is a good book though, it was just my personal choice to leave it for the moment but I still would definitely recommend this book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good, 9 Aug. 2014
Nice book . Intro says its for preschoolers .
It's bright and clearly illustrated .
Great for inquisitive toddlers but I think a little too much birds and the bees for my preschooler. I might skip certain passages about sperm etc...
However the frank delivery is to the point and simple good idea to tell the child the correct names for their bits .
Would recommend

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing (its sooooo easy now to help your young child understand basic biology and facts of life!), 11 Oct. 2014
Biology for the very young - Body parts named properly - Simple text and well illustrated - Good tool to use with Parent/Grandparent/Teacher and can also be read by slightly older child (with any 'aid' adult guidance ie. explanation and extra facts should ALWAYS be in place, so the child feels comfortable and understands facts given!)

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Amazing You!: Getting Smart about Your Private Parts
Amazing You!: Getting Smart about Your Private Parts by Gail Saltz (Paperback - 1 Feb. 2008)