4.0 out of 5 stars Not Dessen's best, but brilliant all the same!
It's no secret that I love the wonder that is Sarah Dessen. I've never been disappointed by one of her books, and I don't think I ever will be.

Published on 28 Jun 2009 by Jenny, Wondrous Reads

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough
I didn't dislike this book, but it didn't really evoke any strong emotions in me. It was nice enough
and I did relate to a lot of the subject matter, parents divorcing, remarrying, and all that goes with
that, so I did enjoy it. Like I say, it was nice and easy to read, but not amazing.
Published on 29 Nov 2011 by Ms. J. Clarke

4.0 out of 5 stars Not Dessen's best, but brilliant all the same!, 28 Jun 2009
Jenny, Wondrous Reads (UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)

Characters are the most important part of a story, and this woman can certainly write real, emotional people that I always find myself wishing I could be friends with. That Summer includes a mix of likeable but flawed personalities, and although it's shorter than most of Sarah's books, it's still an engaging and compelling read.

Haven, along with her sister Ashley, are brilliantly written, and I came away from the book feeling like I really knew them. I loved the family dynamic and loyalty between the sisters, and the way Haven and her family all stuck together. Although there's no trademark Dessen romance in That Summer, I didn't miss it. Everthing else is so vividly described that the absence of a main male character is hardly noticeable, and it's nice to just focus on Haven and her soon-to-be-married sister.

No-one writes YA fiction like Sarah Dessen, and I always read her books in a state of excitement. I'm so glad that I finally got to read That Summer, and even though it may not be her best, it's still miles better than a lot of YA out there.

3.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant enough, 29 Nov 2011

3.0 out of 5 stars Needs more depth, 17 Oct 2011
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
A pleasant, quick and easy read. I think that the book was well written for a relaxing read without being trashy - it definitely had potential to be longer and for things to be more detailed. To be better, there could've description and history of the parents break up and Sumner's character and story could've certainly been developed more. There was certainly no depth to this book, but it was still a good read for what it was.

4.0 out of 5 stars Dessen does it again!, 15 Jun 2014
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: That Summer (Kindle Edition)
I love Sarah Dessen's books, and they're not just for teens. I'm a 21-year-old, just-graduated almost-adult, and I love Dessen's writing style and how relateable and realistic her characters are. A great, light summer read.

5.0 out of 5 stars That Summer, 19 Aug 2009
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
Another instant classic by Dessen... I have fallen in love with the author and how she perfectly captures the emotion of the characters in her book and relates to teenagers in such a way as she does.

5.0 out of 5 stars The best book I have ever read., 15 April 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
This is my favourite book. I have read it every three months since I bought it two years ago, not out of habit, but because I still love it, and it gets better every time. Though I have not gone through all of the things that happen to Haven, she seems so like me and perhaps that's why I like it. The feelings and thoughts of Haven are so realistic and any teenager, or any adult who was ever a teenager, will totally identify. The things that Haven experiences (for example her parents splitting up and re-marrying) are just a carrier to show that Haven grows up mentally from a kid to an adult, and realises that nothing is perfect, lasts forever, or what seems good for you was not a perfect for everyone else.

3.0 out of 5 stars No romance, 12 Nov 2008
ML Jensen (Bath, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
I love The Truth About Forever and Just Listen and expected another romance, cleverly written and beautifully told. Although this story was a nice and quite moving tale of two sisters and their changing relationship, it lacked the depth, and the plot of Dessen's other books. And there was no romance at all. :-(

3.0 out of 5 stars Slightly Disappointing, 31 July 2009
MY (Nottingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
I am a great fan of Sarah Dessen's work. 'Just Listen', 'Lock and Key' and 'The Truth About Forever' are some of my absolute favourites. I am a hopeless romantic and I guess I was expecting to be swept off my feet yet again in this novel.

Though 'That Summer' is a wonderfully told story about young Haven's struggle with the changes around her, the novel had a grand total of 0% romance. I was definitely disappointed, and finished the book left feeling dissatisfied. Saying that, Sumner Lee is a lively and enthusiastic character and has you grinning foolishly from ear to ear.

If you don't mind no fairy tale ending, this is a fab read. I just wish it compared a little better to Dessen's other novels that I've been priveledged to read. However, it was her first novel and gives hope to young writers - drastic improvement IS possible!

5.0 out of 5 stars u have to love it, 8 Jan 2001
By A Customer
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
this book is so beautiful. it really is amazing. the last line of the book sums it all up, i can't say what it is cos that would ruin it. i just lent my copy to my mate, and the reason i wanted her to read it is the last line. if u buy they book don't open it at the last page, it won't make sense, read it, savour it, love it, and understand it. u will, anyone could. the characters are described perfectly especially haven and sumner. when u read it u r them, u understand them, u love them. it's worth reading, it really is. it starts with a poem called at every wedding someone stays at home, which is perfect. i've never read a book like, and i never will again. it is so amazing. read it and see what i mean

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring and... Boring., 18 Mar 2012
This review is from: That Summer (Paperback)
What can I say? I don't feel like I am given an honest review as I haven't read the whole book, however I didn't read the whole book because it was so bad.

I had never tried Sarah Dessen before and this book looked like a good start.

I knew this book wasn't for me as soon as I opened it. The pointless conversations going on bored me senseless and I just couldn't read on. I think it is the plot of the book that puts me off, I like characters I can connect with and this character I felt had no personality.

I'm sure I would enjoy some of Dessen's other books as some look very interesting but sadly I will never know as I am too scared to buy another book from this author ever again.

That Summer
That Summer by Sarah Dessen (Paperback - May 2004)
Used & New from: £0.01