5.0 out of 5 stars As good now as when I was 8!, 1 Jun 2011
S. Lake - See all my reviews
This review is from: My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I was a bit worried about reading this again after so many years. It was one of my favourite books when I was eight, and I really wanted to re-read it because I couldn't remember the ending.

I shouldn't have been worried, it is still a great book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I read this countless times as a child, 21 Nov 2010
F. Jordaan (London, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
I bought this out of nostalgia for a book I dearly loved as a child (the same edition). Between the age of 11 and 14 or so I must have read it a dozen times. I have not yet re-read it as an adult as I fear the Suck Fairy (google it) might have visited. But I'd recommend this to any young reader. Its evocation of the call of the wild not far from urban sprawl is thrilling; it's realistic and unsentimental. The introduction to the philosophy of Thoreau is subtle and may well plant a seed in a young mind.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Side of the Mountain, 5 April 2002
This is a brilliant book about a youth who lives on his own in the wilderness. In this diary, he explains all the survival techniques he learns, the animals he meets, and the anventures he encounters. A book suitable for all ages, I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A nice return to a childhood memory, 13 Jun 2013
R. H. Minchin "Bol" (Yarmouth, England) - See all my reviews
I remember reading this book when I was a young lad and am now enjoying reading it to my son 40 years later. I believe he is enjoying the tale as much as I did at his age.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful., 30 May 2013
A wonderful book which was delightful to read. As someone who is very interested in living a more natural way of life, it was inspiring to read Sam's adventures as he embarks on a life in the mountains.

5.0 out of 5 stars My Side of the Mountain, 29 April 2010
Paul C. Wiggins "Wiggs" (SW London, UK) - See all my reviews
A real boys own adventure - could not put this down. It's too short, I wish it had been longer. Jean George's observation and detail entwines beautifully with the thoughts and trepidations of this young boy and his life alone in a beautiful wilderness. A great read for all types and all ages - I watched the film straight after and was not so impressed - the book stays with me.

4.0 out of 5 stars beautiful and valuable, 29 Dec 2011
Baught thiis for my seven year old, for whom it is too advanced. But it is a beautiful book from 10 years onwards, highly recommended. The nature description and what you learn is great.

5.0 out of 5 stars Childhood book, 27 May 2014
I read this book as a child 45 years ago and have always remember it, so when i saw it on amazon i thought i would read it again and was just as i remembered it. Still an excellent read

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent book for junior age children, 3 April 2014
My wife bought this book. This is what she says...
My mum, who was also my teacher read it to me when I was a top junior. I have subsequently read it to many classes of children, from all sorts of backgrounds and it has always been received with unanimous interest and joy. It has timeless appeal. I would thoroughly recommend this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars My side of the Mountain, 12 Jan 2014
I think this book is amazing everyone should read it. I read it to my three children, my grandchildren, and when I was teaching English to foreign students they were given it to read! Greatly loved by all who read it in our home.

My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics)
My Side of the Mountain (Puffin Modern Classics) by Jean George (Paperback - 1 April 2004)
4.07