Format: Paperback|Change

VINE VOICEon 28 June 2004
"Kidnapping children is not a good idea. All the same, sometimes it has to be done."
These are the opening words of "The Island of Aunts" and they set the tone for the wry, gentle humour of this charming book. If you'd love to be whisked away to a hidden island and help look after amazing creatures like: Krakens, boobrie birds, selkies, stoorworms and mermaids - then this is the book for you.
The writing is both magical and poetical - and manages to carriy a wonderfully uplifting conservationist message with such subtlety, that the reader is hardly aware of it. The child characters are a delight - and the aunts ... well, the aunts are as all good aunts should be: utterly dotty!
A wonderful book by Eva Ibbotson. However, if you are an Ibbotson fan, make certain you haven't got a copy already; it's also sold on amazon with an alternate title : "Monster Mission!"
on 25 April 2002
This is a wonderful book. My 9 year old loved it. From the opening sentence "Kidnapping children is never pleasant but sometimes it has to be done" this book is enchanting. This is the story of three eccentric and loveable aunts living on a magical island and caring for a host of fantastic creatures who's existence is threatened by a wicked developer. To ensure the creatures existence they hatch a plan which requires the kidnapping of two children for it's execution (only they accidentally end up with three!) The children (who's homes, in the best fairytale tradition, were not entirely happy)learn to care for a disgruntled mermaid family, a depressed worme and a baby narwahl and ultimatly discover hidden resources within themselves to save the island. Funny and magical. Well worth reading. I loved it almost as much as my daughter.
on 16 June 2014
My daughter is nine and luckily for me still enjoys being read to at night. Eva Ibbotson is a wonderful writer who will in the future become one of the best loved writers of children's literature for sure. This book is on a par with Journey to the River Sea and demonstrates the authors’ ability to reach out and engage with the imaginations of the children she is writing for. Her storylines are always engaging; at one moment my child is aghast at the possibility of disaster and in the next sighing with relief as disaster is averted.
In this book I will never forget the joy of my daughter suddenly shouting "he has a ###!" out loud as I read to her. Superb.
on 2 December 2014
Haven't yet found an Eva Ibbotson my 9 year old and I haven't enjoyed but this one perhaps even more so, imaginative and great fun!
on 9 October 2015
Brilliant book. But beware - the same story is also published with different title - Monster Mission. So, we ended up ordering two books - because we love Eva Ibbotson so much. This version has great illustrations.
on 23 January 2006
My son (aged 10) and I have just finished reading this book. My son is usually a reluctant reader, but this book really grabbed his attention and he actually WANTED to read!! We liked it so much we've just started Dail-a-Ghost also by Eva Ibbotson - another great book!
on 13 October 2015
Great
on 31 December 2001
I loved this book. It is both touching & funny with an inventive & unusual plot.
on 24 February 2001
This is a Wonderful book I read after a friend loaned me "The Secret of Platform 13" which was also great! I think that everyone who likes magical creatures and a good story should read this book!