1 Review

5.0 out of 5 stars A Book I Would Recommend To Every 90s Nickelodeon Fan In History, 11 Dec 2013
This review is from: Slimed!: An Oral History of Nickelodeon's Golden Age (Hardcover)
If there was ever a network in the 1980s and 1990s that was truly groundbreaking and changed the face of kids television, that channel would be called: Nickelodeon.
Having been a 90s Nickelodeon nostalgia fan for quite some time now, I knew I was in for a treat and that treat has paid me back kindly. Author Mathew Klickstein (Who I have spoken to a few times prior to reviewing and purchasing the book) goes through great lengths to give his fellow readers what they truly wanted to know about, even going as far as to review the very people behind the curtain, the cast and crew, voice actors/voice actresses and writers of the old school Nickelodeon shows we have come to know and love.

The "Behind The Scenes" facts in this book is not only astounding, but very informative and I can't help but feel a bigger appreciation for these shows than I did before. From learning about the behind the scenes of Ren and Stimpy (Already covered in Thad Komorowski's "Sick Little Monkeys", but some things not covered in that book are seen in "Slimed") to learning about how Brenda Mason felt about adding laugh tracks in "You Can't Do That On Television".

What sticks out for me is the behind the scenes footage of the original 3 Nicktoons. I won't give out too much but we find out how Doug came to be and how the man behind Doug felt working at Nickelodeon, in addition to Jim's opinion on Disney's Doug (Which may please some fans of the show) and John Kricfalusi's relationship with Nickelodeon from Ren and Stimpy being the channel's biggest hit to John and the studio being fired (The reasons I will not say here to avoid spoilers) from the channel and being a huge fan of Ren and Stimpy, it was fascinating to read the opinions from people who worked on the show in the book. The Rugrats section may shock people as not many people know this story, but (One of the creators of Rugrats) according to many writers on the first 3 seasons, had an issue with the writing staff for writing in certain jokes and lines into scripts, because she didn't want her children at the time to be influenced in the wrong way. While not as bad as Ren and Stimpy, this story (covered in The New Yorker back in 1998 but this gives out some more information) is still shocking and sad to say the least.

Also includes quotes from Vanessa Coffey, Geraldine Laybourne (The woman behind the Nickelodeon that so many fans love), Marc Summers, Toby Huss and many more. This book is to quote Stewie from Family Guy: a "thumping good read" and gives insight as to why people came to know and love Nickelodeon and I couldn't agree more as to their opinion of Nickelodeon today. I myself personally prefer Gerry Laybourne's Nickelodeon due to the creativity and mix of syndicated and original shows (You won't find Looney Tunes on Nickelodeon nowadays), though I enjoyed a few shows from the Herb Scannell era (1996-2005).

Mathew did a fantastic job and I definitely recommend it to every 90s Nickelodeon fan out there and even if you didn't grow up on these shows, these quotes are a great history lesson to how the phenomenal network. Here's hoping that he or someone else covers the next chapter in Nickelodeon's history. This book deserves the praise it's getting.

Slimed!: An Oral History of Nickelodeon's Golden Age
Slimed!: An Oral History of Nickelodeon's Golden Age by Mathew Klickstein (Hardcover - 24 Sep 2013)