I would never have thought that I would enjoy the poems of "12 Sacred Voices from East and West"; I am not that clever.
I picked up this book at a friend's house and couldn't put it down!
The way these poems have been written is deceptively light, even at times sexy and funny; yet with a dazzling impact of gently delivered philosophy.

The "12 Voices"...
Published on 6 Nov 2007 by Mrs. Janet E. Hine

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and dishonest.
You might or might not like the poems; but they are NOT by the twelve authors to whom they are attributed. Unfortunately I didn't realise something so fraudulent could be published without a lawsuit so I bought it in all innocence.
Published 2 months ago by Kawena

5.0 out of 5 stars A breathtaking collection. Profound and easy to read; Funny and sensuous, 6 Nov 2007
Mrs. Janet E. Hine "ponyrider37" (Cumbria, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
I picked up this book at a friend's house and couldn't put it down!

The "12 Voices" are both male and female, range over time from 717AD to 1649AD and geographically from India to Spain and back again yet share similar thoughts about this world and our relationship with God. I feel this book has a universal truthfulness which cuts straight through the things which sometimes divide us from each other - religion, gender, nationality, history, language.
Now we have to trust that Daniel Ladinsky has translated truthfully and chosen carefully from the wealth of material he had access to. I am not qualified to comment on that but I can say that this book has the feel of being lovingly forged and it feels true in every way.

There are surprises at every turn.

"Since no one really knows anything about God,
those who think they do are just
troublemakers" Rabia of Basra (717 -801)

"The words Guru, Swami, Super Swami, Master, Teacher, Murshid,
Yogi, Priest,
most of those sporting such a title are just peacocks.
The litmus test is:
hold them upside down over a cliff for a few hours.
If they don't wet their
pants
maybe you found a real
one. Kabir (1440 -1518)

I have never been so mentally stretched and transported by joy simultaneously before; that is what this book did to me. I find myself looking at this world and the people I meet differently and more kindly having read this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing Collection, 14 Oct 2009
S. C. Hope "Book Lover" (Chew Magna UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
A wonderful book, a "must have" to keep by the side of the bed to dip in and out of. It is deep, thought provoking, touching, but also at times very funny and not at all sanctimonious! I highly recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love Poems from God, 10 Dec 2011
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
This is a truly inspirational book. Its poems go straight to the heart. Truly marvellous. Consequently I have bought it several times to give as presents to those who are special in my life.

Love Poems from God is a great 'tool' to use in meditation and one which you can dip into at any time. The writings of the mystic are so alive and full of love.

5.0 out of 5 stars An absolute delight, 5 Dec 2009
Jon Freeman "jon2910" (Hampshire, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
Just because it has the G-word in the title, don't think that this is dull, heavy or serious. It is full of lightness, humour, and tenderness. It's much more earthy and human than might be expected and translations use modern, accessible idioms. A real treat!

1.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing and dishonest., 21 May 2014
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
All twelve -- VERY DIFFERENT --- 'voices' sound identical, like New Age american poetry borrowing imagery randomly but mainly from Sufism. Like a bad taste version of Coleman Barks' Rumi translations. They sound nothing like Thomas Aquinas, Catherine of Siena, Meister Eckhart, etc.
I say 'dishonest' because I can't find an admission by Ladinsky in the book that he has churned them out himself. His words are weaselly and in my mind unethical. Why couldn't he just say he wrote poems as 'tributes' to these twelve great thinkers??
Again, if these poems are to your taste, fine. (They clearly are for some other reviewers.) Enjoy them! But if someone has reached a great spiritual stage of evolution, doesn't the truth matter? And fair treatment of others, 'identity theft' of spiritual masters, even if they are dead?

5.0 out of 5 stars Inspirational, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
A beautiful book, perfect for personal use and as a gift. Challenges our traditional view of God and is truly inspirational.

5.0 out of 5 stars Food for spiritual seekers, 20 May 2013
This is a must read book for all spiritual seekers. Each page is food for thought for at least a day!
What a wonderful collection!

5.0 out of 5 stars Total Inspiration from a community of Wisdom, 6 May 2013
Such fun!

Uplifting and inspiring, with heart and guts and
dancing, soul and spirit.

An insight into the wisdom of such teachers - over many
centuries - translated most beautifully and sensitively by
Daniel Ladinsky

2.0 out of 5 stars nice book, 22 Jun 2011
W. Chapman (Leics,UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Love Poems from God (Compass) (Paperback)
The book is nice and somewhat inspirational but I had not realised that it took it's influences from many religions and backgrounds

Love Poems from God (Compass)
Love Poems from God (Compass) by Daniel Ladinsky (Paperback - 1 Nov 2002)
11.04