Format: Paperback|Change

on 13 July 2013
Came across this book by accident. If anyone likes this genre of book then definitely check it out. Totally hooked from first page and I read it in one day because I literally couldn't put it down. Can't wait to see what happens to Gordon next!!
on 29 April 2016
Having read the other reviews on this book, I have to say I do wonder if it was the same one I read. It is. An EMP attack renders America ruined. So far, so good. That is pretty standard for this type of book - we then wait to see what happens to the country as a result and how the people will deal with it. I am a big fan of this genre and generally enjoy well written books in it. However, this book does not fit that description. I found it to be over written in places and the dialogue did not flow - it felt stiff and unreal, almost forced. But what I really did not like is the casual assumption that because there has been a disaster, everyone will descend into barbarity and killing. This book falls into the trap of being a stereotype - the "hero" is as ex marine, his brother is a marine, his friends are mainly ex marines, marines mutiny and take over ships and nearly everyone in it is obsessed by guns, the more powerful the better. One would think, hope rather, that if there has been so much disaster that life would be precious and preserved. Not in this book or others like it - gangs, cannibals, killing of all type goes on and appears to be almost celebrated. It reads like a video
game. There just does not seem to be any end to it. The President of the USA orders a full scale nuclear attack on countries who are the "enemies" of America - that is the rest of the world scuppered then - without knowing who was responsible for the EMP attack (sound familiar? 9/11? The war with Iraq, perhaps?), ending his announcement for this to those who are left with the words "God Bless America". Jingoistic, ridiculous and a sad assessment of the American people if Mr Hopf really thinks that they would really behave as he has depicted them in this book, I gave it two stars because of the work that went into writing it, not because of the plot, and in my view that is generous. If you really want to read a good and well written book about the aftermath of an EMP attack, try "One Second After" by William Forstchen, a military historian who really knows his stuff and more importantly, can actually write. Otherwise, you may just as well play a violent video game as read this book.
Net Galley and Penguin kindly provided me with a copy of The End

If you have looked at my list of books that I'll be reviewing this month you would have seen that it was very heavy on the whole end of the world theme. So what better way to start June off by reviewing one of the many dystopians that I have laid my grubby paws on this year.

The End is book in the New World series by G. Michael Hopf, you will be glad to know I have books 2 and 3 ready to go in the coming months as well.

So what is The End about, the tell tale mushroom cloud on the cover, which always gives me a shiver, tells me that nukes are going to be involved but how did it come to this?

It starts of in the year 2066 where we meet Haley the daughter of Marine Sergeant Gordon Van Zandt, she is telling the story of her father and the events that lead up to the destruction of the USA and many other parts of the world. The story is told from many different view points, Haley we hear from at the end and the beginning, we also hear from Gordon POV, the POV of his Marine brother Sebastian and Brad Conner the future President of the United States.

Gordon Van Zandt we first meet during his brutal tour of Iraq in 2004 where he shoots an unarmed Iraqi in a Mosque, when then move forward ten years where he is living in suburbia in San Diego with his wife and two beautiful children, living an idyllic life away from the terrors that have been striking Europe attacking innocent people, the US has been safe so far but that is about to change.

Seattle is attacked, then the worst happens to the rest of the country the power goes out, cars die, planes drop out of the sky but still nobody seems worried, nobody except Gordon who fears and knows the worst, an EMP has been set off. but as news starts to trickle out he finds out its much worse, Washington DC has been destroyed by a nuclear bomb, The US is under attack.

His brother Sebastian is away on a tour with the Marines at this point and when word of the attacks get to him, they are instantly recalled to make their way back to the States but their superiors want them to go to the east coast, they shouldn't disobey their orders but the Marines are thinking of their families, their families on the west coast, what help would they be on the east coast where nobody is able to be saved.

Brad Conner has just watched his son die, helpless as the power is dead, he is in bits, it is about to get worse as he discovers Washington has gone and he is about to become the next POTUS, is he up to this horrific challenge especially as he has his finger now on the button of the USA's nuclear arsenal.

This book is horrific, but I mean that as a compliment, it is really close to the bone because of the possibility of this happening in our life time, terrorists are out there, it could happen to any of us. Not wanting to sound all doom and gloom but this book also shows us how awful people become, take away their mobiles, their televisions, their McDonald's and their fancy cars, chaos descends quickly and this book highlights just how chaotic, greedy and just plain murderous people become when all their modern amenities are taken away from them.

All of the stories in this book inter mingle, and at all times I could feel the pressure building up inside all of the characters, especially Brad to suddenly become the president and to have to deal with the aftermath of the attacks but of course the question on his mind is has it finished?

I really enjoyed this book, there is a lot going on, if you are not familiar with military jargon or indeed maybe some political stuff you may struggle but at the end of the day all of the POV's are doing them same thing, they want to be with their families, they want to survive by any means. A thrilling but all too real read!

The End is awarded 4 out of 5
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 18 October 2013
For the last few years, many people have discussed the scenario that would happen after an EMP attack. After reading this first book in this story, it seems the author is almost too well informed. We see what happens to a country after such an attack and how even a gated community can turn into everything they feared, which caused them to shut themselves away in the first place.

This is eerie. Frightening. And there's still book two to read!

Brilliantly written.
on 14 September 2013
I was a bit shocked by this book which is unusual for me as I read a lot of post apocalyptic, dystopian end of world books. This one is different in that it covers real issues and real problems with what I think of as real characters. Possibly a manual in what to do if we are ever hit by these situations, but definitely a good read. No editing problems, and more importantly no obvious spelling mistakes.
There is also enough information about the military aspect that comes through from the author's background and experience to give the book the realism it needs, only one point - I had to look up what a SAW gun was, (squad automatic weapon) basically a machine gun I think, but then I have no experience of guns.
Looking forward to the next one.
on 8 February 2016
This is a book that I totally resented having to keep putting down! I loved it from the first word on the first page and was sad as I started to realise I was coming to the end!

Its a genre that I havent really tried before - that said, I do like sci fi and also diaster type stories, so this book wasnt difficult to get into. It was so believable that it makes you wonder how prepared we are now in real life for an event such as this and certainly got me thinking!

I now NEED to read the next book to follow the next part of the story :)
on 22 November 2013
...was a little unsure with this one to begin with, the writing was a little stiff and the story did not flow to well - BUT I persisted and was very happy I did, style loosened up, story started to flow and I enjoyed reading it.....
on 21 June 2013
Easily one of my favourite books! Was gutted when I found out I have to wait for the next one!
on 27 August 2013
Great story. It reminded me a bit of the 'Endworld' series of books from a couple of decades ago.

The book is un-putdownable. Can't wait to read the next instalment.
on 29 November 2013
Not a bad read quite liked the fast pace of the action.
Didn't warm to the main hero figure and found the overall negativity a bit depressing