4.0 out of 5 stars Gwyn Rubio's Icy Sparks is an outstanding novel
I always spend my lunch break, at work, reading fiction novels. I can partially gauge how much I enjoyed each book by how often I have to work late, making up the time I lost when I couldn't stop reading. While I was reading my latest acquisition, Icy Sparks, I had to work late a lot.
I was pulled into Icy Sparks immediately by the interesting prose and became...
Published on 12 Aug 1998

1.0 out of 5 stars ICY SPARKS DID NOT CREATE SPARKS
Published on 10 Aug 1999

4.0 out of 5 stars Gwyn Rubio's Icy Sparks is an outstanding novel, 12 Aug 1998
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
I was pulled into Icy Sparks immediately by the interesting prose and became completely immersed during the sequences when Icy would struggle to control the outbursts brought on by her disorder. The excellent narration of these events is fluid and believable.
Although the narrative is excellent, a well-crafted plot is what makes Gwyn Rubio's first published novel outstanding. The novel describes the universal plight of a young girl trying to understand the differences which set her apart from her peers. The plot unfolds in a natural way, with Icy, a victim of Tourette Syndrome, trying to come to terms with her undiagnosed condition. Her search for acceptance and understanding culminates in a beautifully written scene which is charged with emotion.
I enjoyed this book immensely.

5.0 out of 5 stars a tender story that sparked my own childhood memories, 21 Aug 1999
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
Although I am neither a literary professional nor an expert on Tourette Syndrome, I am a woman who somehow made it through that awkward period of adolescence and now has a daughter of my own. I relived much of that time while reading Icy Sparks -- the feelings of embarrassment and "sticking out", the flush of puppy love, and the discovery of an adult woman who became a mentor to me and remains a confidante to this day. Of course, my experience pales in comparison to Icy's courageous journey that included a culture which couldn't accept her differences and an illness that she could not control. Icy's story is a powerful victory over a painful past and should challenge all women readers to re-kindle a vanishing tradition - the art of mentoring to our young girls.

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy Sparks' Authenticity Is The Soul of Its Truth, 17 Aug 1999
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
Icy Sparks is as unique as the place in which she lives, but unlike many of her fictional peers, she is cut of whole cloth and presented as a lovable, incorrigible, searching young girl, rather than as a predictable stereotype. So many books set in specific and unique places such as Appalachia have been written by "outsiders" who rely too much on images perpetrated by filmmakers, writers, and publishers with little or no firsthand experience of the place. The fact that Icy Sparks' creator lives in the very region (eastern Kentucky) in which the book is set lends authenticity and value to the content. Icy is not a stereotype at all, and neither are her neighbors and family and friends. She is as universally unique as is each and every reader who will encounter her. In segments where the story could have dissolved into cliche, Rubio has beautifully avoided the temptation. A good example is the tent revival scene. It would have been easy to choose to let this character with Tourette Syndrome blend and fade into a noisy background of the religiously possessed who speak in unknown tongues and contort their bodies in fits of worshipful zeal. Instead, Rubio has demonstrated a writer's maturity and excellence in chosing to allow Icy to find her own way into, through, and out the other side of the experience. The irony of how Icy uses her discoveries and the truths she recognizes along the way are testaments to this remarkable book's strengths and beauty. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Icy Sparks, 1 April 2009
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
I first thought I wasn't going to get 'into' this book, but once past the first 5 pages I was well 'into' it. I just couldn't put it down. The girl in the pages became so real to me I could touch her and hug all the hurt away from her. Its a sad, but very uplifting read

1.0 out of 5 stars ICY SPARKS DID NOT CREATE SPARKS, 10 Aug 1999
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
Read the Amazon.com and Kirkus Review book reviews before you consider purchasing this title. I did not find Icy winsome or interesting and the church revival meeting, where Icy encounters Jesus, and has an "epiphany" about loving herself was just too much. I think the book had potential, but I was disappointed not to see it realized. I would NOT recommend this novel.

5.0 out of 5 stars A ceasingly hopeful tale about growing up different., 22 Jun 1999
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
A dramatic new southern female voice makes her presence felt in her first novel. Hopeful, witty, and, ultimately triumphant, Icy Sparks (both the character and the book) will renew your faith in the power of people to overcome.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not to be missed by lovers of Appalachian Literature., 16 Aug 1999
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
The reader is immediately drawn into the strange world of Icy Sparks. From the hauntingly beautiful prologue to the last word in the epilogue, the novel is beautifully written . With vivid imagery and solid, believable characters that move you through a world of emotion as unpredictable, wild and ranging as the mountains themselves. Calling upon and trusting in her own voice and sense of place to rise above the lonliness and isolation of being different, Icy is truly a heroine. I applaud Rubio for breathing life into this unique, brave and quirky character and for giving a voice to those who have had little understanding and too much stereotyping. Definitely a novel for everyone, adults and students alike. Rubio captures a place, a people and a time in this novel with clarity, truth and astounding beauty that rings so true to me, not only as a person from Appalachia, but as a human being as well. Bravo.

5.0 out of 5 stars good read, 23 Dec 2010
J.L (Worcestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club) (Paperback)
really enjoyed this story, bought because of the tourettes link but actually is a heart warming story how society treats anyone who is different.

4.0 out of 5 stars Very enlightening - enjoyed tremendously., 10 Sep 1998
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
For a first novel I thought Ms. Rubio did an excellent job. It is a joy to read a down to earth novel that I would allow my children/grandchildren to read. It really lets one know the terrible effects of Touretts Syndrome and how one learns to cope. Keep on writing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Compassionate rendering of a difficult disease., 8 Sep 1998
This review is from: Icy Sparks (Paperback)
As the mother of a child who suffers from Tourette's Syndrome, I was amazed at the tender compassion and gentle wisdom that fills every page of ICY SPARKS. Ms. Rubio has given us a true heroine in Icy, a character so compelling and lovable despite the debilitating and embarrassing symptoms Icy and other victims of this disease endure. Thank you Ms. Rubio for a brilliant work of literature that celebrates the humanity within a person caught in this affliction.

ARRAY(0xac2be4e0)

Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club)
Icy Sparks (Oprah's Book Club) by Gwyn Hyman Rubio (Paperback - 26 July 2001)
9.56