4.0 out of 5 stars To rethink about the nature of terms advantages and disadvantages
“David and Goliath” by Malcolm Gladwell is not only what its name is suggesting - the book about how small can beat big, those that are considered to be less capable those who are the stars – but also a book that convinces the reader that there are no unbridgeable obstacles, and strange nature of our advantages and disadvantages that can easily become...
Published 10 months ago by Denis Vukosav

3.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't quite pull it off
Gladwell has a formula: he picks a grand thesis - in this case that what are ordinarily perceived of as disadvantages might not be wholly negative - and then carefully arranges around it anecdotes of such simple humanity that one is forced, between dabbing the tears away and spontaneous rounds of applause, to swallow the damn thing whole.

There's a circle of...
Published 6 months ago by boggisbitesvampires

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable but flawed, 4 Jan 2014
I am a big Gladwell fan generally, but, while I found this book to be a good read, it is not without flaws ( in my opinion).

On the plus side, Gladwell has yet again delivered a book that is so well written that it us difficult to put down. Its upbeat, easy tone makes easy work of what could quite easily be a dull read at the hands if another writer. The book is full of interesting anecdotes and covers numerous topics, from the birth of Impressionism to aspects of the civil rights struggle.

However, I found it lacking in a number of ways. (Spoiler alert). I found a lot of the section about Goliath himself to be pure speculation. He claims scientists now believe that Goliath suffered from a growth disorder and may have been partially sighted. I think he would have better made his point if his arguments were based on facts and not speculation about events thousands of years ago. Secondly, while a lot if the topics covered are fascinating, the book is a bit disjointed and jumps back and forth between anecdotes. I found some of his remarks distasteful and flippant also. In a chapter relating to resistance against the Nazis, Gladwell notes 'there are real limits to what evil and misfortune can accomplish' . Try telling that to the families of the six million people who were slaughtered. He also cites a lady who felt se had to forgive the paedophile murderer if her child, because her best friend is into S&M and it would be hypocritical to forgive her frend's fetish for bondage but not to forgive the murderer's. This seems like a ridiculous statement. How are the acts I two consenting adults comparable to the kidnapping and murder of a child. On a lighter note, a Spanish saying is both spelled and translated incorrectly.

Overall it was an enjoyable but flawed read, in my view. If you like Gladwell , I think you will like this; just maybe not as much as his voter books.

3.0 out of 5 stars good stories but tries too hard with flawed reasoning, 6 Dec 2013
I'm a big fan of Gladwell especially his short stories and articles in The New Yorker. David and Goliath is a compelling analogy for the world in which we live today and had the making of a great book but I feel Gladwell fell short of the book's (and the point he set out to prove) true potential.

The premise that the small can take on the big and mighty and win in today's fast paced and rapidly changing world is compelling. But his book fails to inspire and that is a disappointment. The premise had been well laid out early in the book and I expected it to progress to great current day learnings but the entire book labours a point that most readers will get and agree with early on. Gladwell would then have done better to show the learnings and pitfalls of the analogy rather than spending chapter after chapter proving a point that had already been proven.

Some good stories, well written and easy to read but could've delivered so much more. A decent book but from Gladwell I expected something more.

3 1/2 stars.

1.0 out of 5 stars Very repetitive, 18 Nov 2014
The writing is rather tiresome. As with his other books, after the first couple of chapters are sufficient to read since key messages and quotes are replayed over and over again. It was actually shocking how he included a very inaccurate and naive account of Northern Ireland. That ended it for me.

3.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as some of his previous books, 25 Aug 2014
I was a little disappointed with 'David and Goliath' having really enjoyed some of Malcolm Gladwell's other books. Not really news that some people come through adversity stronger. What I was missing was some analysis of what makes those people succeed while others fail.

4.0 out of 5 stars A study about asymmetries, 28 July 2014
Dr. Peter Davies (Halifax, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This book is about asymmetry. Goliath may not be as big and strong as he appears. And David may not be as small and puny as he appears. This is a book that encourages us to face our challenges- and realise we may be stronger than we realise, and that our opponents may not be quite as forceful or opposed to us as we think.

It raises some interesting questions about peer groups and how we compare ourselves to others- without realising how the others compare to a wider sample- such as other colleges- or the whole country. Are you better to be top student in a lesser college? or to get to a highly prestigious college but sit around middle-bottom of that class?

There's some good stories and points in this book, and some helpful thoughts about asymmetries of power and resources

5.0 out of 5 stars Gladwell's stories of 'disagreeable' people, 28 Sep 2014
More than any of Malcolm Gladwell's previous books, in David and Goliath he focuses on telling personal stories. This adds a stronger sense of narrative to each section and to the overall text that ties each story into the wider theme. I really enjoy Gladwell's books but often feel that he has contrived links between his subjects for the sake of his argument. With this book, I felt differently as the narrative hangs together more consistently and the result is actually hard-hitting (for example when describing death by leukaemia or oppressive military action) and also quite moving - the stories are all of everyday heroes. It also as really made me reflect on and rethink the idea that the strong or large always dominate the weak or the small. A pleasure to read and highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Really, well worth a read. It will make you rethink things that you've always just accepted. Maybe it's not always that obious., 16 Oct 2014
I have never read any Gladwell books but, after hearing him interviewed on the radio, thought he sounded interesting and thus would give one of his books a try. I really enjoyed it. It was easy to read and, at least on my part, made me rethink things that I'd always accepted; 'Well, of course that has to be right' - but does it? Was it, necessarily, a great surprise that a small, well trained protector of livestock would loose a battle against a weak, poorly sighted acromegalic? Does the smaller class increase the productivity of students exponentially? Do some 'disabilities' actually increasing some people's ability and success? Whether you accept all the facts Gladwell pulls on in his book or not I'm quite sure that it will make you think about things - it did for me anyway.

2.0 out of 5 stars A little disappointed., 23 Aug 2014
I was a little disappointed with this book. The title led me to believe that the book would give lots of insights and guidance on how to run a small business and help it to compete with the bigger boys. However, its just a series of stories about people who have overcome personal challenges. I suppose for those that like to read stories of other people it will be a good and interesting read. Personally, I found myself skipping pages quicker and quicker in an attempt to glean something I could learn and apply to my situation, only to be left wanting. Not convinced about the claims that Goliath had a severe disability either. You don't become a fighting champion in the first place if you cant see!

5.0 out of 5 stars Remember it can be much better for you to be a big fish at a ..., 19 July 2014
Gladwell writes as well as ever and the chapters offer really engaging vignettes - and it's very enjoyable reading.

As to the content of course it's memorable. In playing sport adapt tour strategy to your skills. Remember class sizes can be too small as well as too large. Remember it can be much better for you to be a big fish at a second tier university than just to squeak in to a top one...some chapters have less of a takeaway. We won't any of us be using prams to take in supplies to a town under curfew by the British army; or interpreting or misinterpreting the testimony of captured Vietnam Cong in the Vietnam war.

Sometimes the story touches on larger themes explored more scientifically by others. The dyslexic story on Thinking Fast And Slow. The story about three strikes and you're out on The Better Angels Of Our Nature. This points to the limits of this book.

But it's still a great read.

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read that proved getting the K was a darned ..., 31 Aug 2014
My first ever Kindle book. A good read that proved getting the K was a darned good idea. Buying "The life of Mahatma Ghandi' in paperback at the same time illustrated one of the major differences between trad and digital- the paperback arrived five days later, whereas D&G arrived within ten seconds. Malcolm Gladwell is well known to my friends but not to me- I'll be getting another title, probably 'Blink'. This book gave examples of good thinking, great actions.

‹ Previous | 1 2 314 | Next ›

David & Goliath
David & Goliath by Malcolm Gladwell (Paperback - 5 Jun 2014)
Used & New from: £3.69