5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gift
Published on 4 Jan. 2012 by S Carwood

3.0 out of 5 stars kinda
not as good as expected although great for someone who has a great imagination and a creative mind :) would recommend for people who enjoy messy creative things aha
Published 9 months ago by amy

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic gift, 4 Jan. 2012
I bought this as a Christmas gift for my girlfriend and she was absolutely delighted with it. I would definitely recommend this as an ideal present for a friend or loved one who is a bit of a 'doodler' or often finds themselves at a loose end. One word of warning though...I was sitting minding my own business when the book was sent rushing centimetres past my head. Apparently the page my girlfriend had opened instructed her to do something spontaneous and unexpected with the journal. You have been warned

5.0 out of 5 stars Sisterly bonding, 21 April 2014
This review is from: Wreck This Journal: To Create is to Destroy, Now With Even More Ways to Wreck! (Paperback)
I bought this as a birthday present for my younger sister, as she'd mentioned a few months ago that she wanted it. When I gave it to her, along with another present, the result was half an hour sat on my bed with the book, looking through it and trying out some of the activities suggested. I was surprised - and briefly annoyed - at one point when she suddenly threw the book at me, thankfully not very hard as we were sitting quite close, and then amused once she showed me the page she had been reading, which fully justified her actions!

I would definitely recommend this book and would like to point out that it is even more fun with a friend, so consider buying it as a present for someone close to you, and completing it together.

5.0 out of 5 stars To create is to destroy, 23 Nov. 2012
So much fun to take part in, it allows creativity and something to do. I would recommend it to anyone who is easily bored.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good fun, 22 April 2014
Miss Fuller - See all my reviews
I bought this because I had seen photos of completed pages and they looked really good. This version is good, but lots of the pages are things like 'rip this page out' or 'loose this page' or 'throw the book off a high place'. It's fun, but I'd prefer a version with more sticking and making a mess.

4.0 out of 5 stars destructive creativity a great way to beat a block, 6 Nov. 2009
Austin (Stockport, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wreck This Journal (Paperback)
I bought the 'wreck this journal' showed it a friend and she's going to get one for herself and each of her daughters. What it isn't, is a model for an art journal e.g. day pages, representation of an event, scrapbook etc. For me this is more about breaking the normal rules of what you do with a book, see pages on 'flickr'for examples/ pictures of what other people have done with their journals. You can also go on the authors website to see ideas/ examples. Each page has an instruction on a way to alter/wreck a page/ the cover/ binding, for example doodle on the cover, tear a page out, put it into the pocket of your clothes and put it in the washing machine, when you've done that stick it back in the book. It reminded me of an art installation I went to see some years ago of some flowers in a case that were left in a window for weeks. The artist actually wanted to see the process of decay and how that would look. The flowers were dried up and crumbling when I saw them, but had their own kind of beauty.
If you are a bit of a perfectionist and are scared of the blank page or don't like to break the rules this should free you up a bit. The book isn't that expensive so it's kinda liberating to take it in the shower with you and see how it looks when you're done. I'm taking pictures of the process and will put it on my facebook page when I'm done. It's a fun exercise in loosening up and I would recomend it on that basis.
It's also interesting to note which instructions you are resistant to, I'm really struggling with the idea of tying a string round it and taking it for a walk - not least because the neighbors will think I'm mad LOL. And I really don't want to give a page to a friend to wreck it. Tells you a lot about yourself and what you are prepared to let go of and what you are not. It may also unblock you creativitly speaking - that's what I'm hoping for.

5.0 out of 5 stars good Buy, 26 Dec. 2012
cool idea ,great gift for both my teenage kids (16 (18) they love it .in fact they want another to do in a different way .cool keepsake too.

4.0 out of 5 stars Itotally wrecked this journal!, 20 April 2013
I bought one of these journals last year and had a thoroughly wonderful time being outrageously silly. I even took it for a drag round a park...much to the bemusement of the people walking their dogs. I was a tad anal about journalling up to usig this book, which I found incredibly liberating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Minor Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Therapy!, 17 Feb. 2014
dmcnabb - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
I purchased this book along with Mess by Keri Smith on recommendation from a friend who had several of her books. I have been struggling for some time with obsessive compulsive disorder, but in the sense of organization and perfection. I have accepted its a bit of a problem and would like to feel more comfortable about life's imperfections. My friend is a psychology student and suggested it as a way to intentionally force myself to create something that really isn't perfect.
I had a good look through the book, cringing a bit at some of the things It was asking me to do. (cut through the book, stick gum or glue in it, draw lines and smear them etc etc). You dont have do to the book in any particular order, but I started on the first page, which was putting your name in it. It asks you to write your name in white, illegibly, in tiny letters, backwards, faintly and in large letters, which I did. After several random pages (feeling well good about myself how neat it still was) I showed it to my friend, who turned it to a page directing that I allow someone to do something destructive to the book (and not look). When I opened my eyes, my friend had dunked the side of the book in black coffee!!! Needless to say, I was not impressed.
After some discussion about it, I started to look at it differently. If I could obsessively destroy the book as instructed, I could learn to love something for its imperfections. One thing my friend suggested to me is keeping it for my son for when hes older, as there are little things I have collected in it, my thoughts and even unfinished, I feel is an accurate depiction of my personality, rather than little quirks I have of wanting to be neat and tidy, which is something my son sees everyday. It is something I have let me see and see me do, so that he knows that I am working to be less obsessive about cleanliness and a bit more spontaneous. Ive allowed him to help me, but have explained to him that we only write in this book!
Even if you don'g have some sort of obsession with being neat and tidy, I think the book is quite fun. I reckon it would be great to take on holiday (although depending on where you go and live it could get taken away in customs as you're supposed to put dirt and leaves and flowers and such in it!) The book is now a permanent fixture in my handbag, and rather than doing what is all too common nowadays looking around on a train or bus with people on their phones, I pull out a book, and write in it or draw in it! A few people have asked about it and I have happily spread the good word.
My only real comment about the book is that having purchased mess at the same time, I would say that this book is far more about total destruction but Mess focuses on some artistic techniques and I think is a bit more educational (it asks you to reference people, places, things, etc) although some of the pages in Mess are exactly the same as Wreck this Journal.
While some would argue looking at this book that they could write this book - I would say well yes, but Keri Smith actually did and it may not have taken a long time to write it or to come up with the concepts, but I think time was taken in working out the best ways to destroy a book inside of it. Originality in today's world is a hard thing to come by. Anybody could do anything realistically if they put their mind to it and worked hard, but sometimes the simpler successes are the harder ones to identify yourself, and Keri Smith got the simple attractiveness of this book just right.
I would recommend this book to pretty much anyone. It is particularly fun to do with kids. Its a good laugh and a nice way to occupy time, in comparison to constantly pulling out your phone and messing around with games or the internet. It is a sort of project and takes time, but is definitely an interesting way to spend the time.

5.0 out of 5 stars OCD recovery, 16 Dec. 2013
I bought this for myself on a whim.
I have had OCD all my life, to the point if my handwriting looked slightly off I would have to re-start the whole page.
Wreck this journal has been a lifesaver, every page asks something different of you and tells you to ignore every rule you've ever been taught about order, keeping things neat and organisation. I love the book.

Even though I am a grown woman I find great pleasure after a stressful day at work sitting down and completing one of the pages.
HIGHLY RECOMMEND.

5.0 out of 5 stars Wreck This Journal, 11 Mar. 2010
M. Williams (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Wreck This Journal (Paperback)
I love this quirky little book, it brought out the child in me again. It goes against the rules of book ownership and 'reverence' of them. I really had to force myself to throw the book down the stairs, to rip out a page, to smear a page with your tea. It is a fun book to own. I finally gave mine to my Nephew who was fascinated with it too.

Wreck This Journal: To Create is to Destroy, Now With Even More Ways to Wreck!