1,072 Reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle!
Published on 4 Mar 2007 by Isaac Frankle

3.0 out of 5 stars Short term fix; not a long term solution
Given that this book proudly states that it's sold nine million copies, you'd be forgiven for assuming that within its pages is a magic, instant cure to your smoking woes. The truth is, if you read the numerous reviews, many successful quitters seem to think there is. But it's not as simple as that.

I first read this book when I was seventeen, and abstained...
Published on 10 July 2011 by Paul Eccles

5.0 out of 5 stars Miracle!, 4 Mar 2007
I am a 23 year old male. I had been smoking since I was 14 years old. For about the last two years of my smoking, I was constantly trying to quit - by the end, I was trying to stop every Monday. Sometimes I would go an hour, sometimes a day, maybe even four or five days, now and again. Almost inevitably though, some reason, some excuse for me to smoke, would crop up that left me absolutely no choice in the matter, I just had to have a cigarette.

I'm not sure where I heard about this book, but I did, and how grateful I am too. This is the point where you who are reading this, start to feel sceptical of what you are about to read, much like I did when reading the reviews before me. Not that I questioned the truthfulness of others, but I seriously doubted my own capability of being successful like other people had. Here's what happened...

I read the book over the Christmas period of last year, 2006. By New Year's Eve, I was going over the last chapters, preparing for the 'final' cigarette. I tried to cram as many cigarettes into those concluding few hours of my smoking life, as I could possibly stomach. With mixed emotions, I read one of the penultimate chapters, instructing me to smoke my last cigarette, and end the slavery. I say mixed emotions because there was some fear of the unknown, some trepidation there, but I must stress that I really wanted to be free and was completely clear on my decision. I think the key for me, was really believing and desiring a life free from smoking. I had to want it.

So, that was a little over two months ago as I write, not a substantial amount of time, yet not insignificant considering the longest I ever went was 6 days and that was an absolute battle every minute. So far, I have been in pubs, had some very stressful moments, been to places that I wholey associate with smoking... yet I've not even been close to smoking. It just doesn't have the same hold over me anymore.

Now, I can't guarantee you the same success as I have had, or even quarantee myself the continued success that I've had. What I can tell you, is that if you genuinely want to quit smoking, and have not yet been able to find the necessary way to do so, then this book is, at worst, an interesting read that will set you back a few pounds. At best, it will bring about a change in attitude and thought that will strengthen you to no longer smoke and enjoy all the many benefits that brings. Personally, I would recommend this book to anyone who has a desire to stop smoking - give it a try and enjoy the ride.

I am extremely indebted to Mr Carr, as without this book, I'm certain that I would still be smoking, yet somehow despising every filthy inhalation of it... right now I'm not living that tortuous paradox, I'm just getting on with life.

I wish you all, and myself, all the best of luck. Our bodies are wonderful but fragile things, and if we don't look after them ourselves, who will...? Make the leap of faith.

Best wishes all

3.0 out of 5 stars Short term fix; not a long term solution, 10 July 2011
Paul Eccles (Tamworth, UK) - See all my reviews

I first read this book when I was seventeen, and abstained from smoking for three days. Since then, I've re-read it perhaps five or six times - but to no avail. For me, the core problem with Allen Carr's method is this: There isn't, in fact, a method at all. Rather, it is a brainwashing session in which the author plants reoccuring messages into your head in the hope they will penetrate your subconscience and curtail any further need for cigarettes. Much of what he says is true; it makes maddening common sense. But I've come too realise that common sense alone, no matter how liberal its application, will stop you from lighting up. Nicotine addiction's just more complex than that.

The trouble with this book is that there is no nucleus, no core message that drives home. When a cravings hits - and it will - trying to use the book's diffuse dogma doesn't work. The author is adamant that, provided the instructions are followed, cravings will be moments of pleasure. But for me that didn't work, and I became miserable that the 'magic key' wouldn't open my cell. The writing is so unflinchinly jolly that I was drawn in by its promises - empty ones, it transpired. For whatever reason, Carr's doctrine didn't move me.

However, it's not all bad news. The nuances and sheer madness of tobacco addiction made me think hard, and have altered my perception. One day I'll quit, and I daresay Allen Carr's words will have played a significant role. I'm genuinely sorry the book didn't work for me. I wanted it to, badly.

My thoughts on smoking, or rather quitting smoking? It can be done. I went for three months recently with very few horrendous moments. And although much of Carr's writings underscored the attempt, I accepted that at times cigarettes had appeared enjoyable - an illusion, but a powerful one. I found this helped. All-out rejection of tobacco was overkill, in my opinion. And there is the main issue with 'Easyway'. The author wants you to reject the idea of enjoyment completely, but I, for one, just couldn't do that. I don't like being told what to think, and I found myself desperately attempting to agree with notions that, deep down, I rejected. Perhaps stubborness really will be the death of me!

In conclusion, I recommend the book, but not because I agree with the 'method'. Buy it because, when all is said and done, you'll be wiser about this terrible addiction once you've absorbed the words. If you don't quit, it may provide the springboard for a successful attempt.

Good luck.

5.0 out of 5 stars A STUNNINGLY EASY WAY TO STOP SMOKING, 8 Dec 2002
Allen Carr has made stopping smoking ridiculously easy. My only complaint is that the author makes it far too easy to quit without the need for will-power or need for gimmicks or substitutes. Through logic and observable facts he dispels the illusion of pleasure that smoking provides. He doesn't even ask the reader to quit until they are happy and ready to do so at the end of the book.
I smoked for 18 years and am now a very happy non-smoker. Thank you Allen Carr! I cannot tell you succinctly enough of the utter joy I received on realising that I no longer had to continue to poison my body day after day, never being allowed to stop, as the addiction to nictotine enslaved me. Freedom is very sweet!
The author also provides two compact discs for after you have quit. They alone are worth the price of the book. Here is one happy customer and you will be too! Buy the book, GO ON! It will be the best decision you have ever, ever made. What have you got to lose? If you don't quit you will be no worse off than you are now. Remember Allen Carr will not ask you to quit until the end of the course. The course itself is so very easy that it is difficult to understand why we continued to smoke for so long. I now regard Allen Carr to be the only expert on nicotine addiction. Do you have a good enough reason not to buy this book?

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Allen Carr!, 27 April 2000
By A Customer
This book truly changed my life! After 3 failed attempts (one lasting for 4 years) to stop smoking, I was starting to think I was doomed to being a smoker forever. I was scared to try again! Then I read this book - very sceptically, it has to be said. I continued smoking whilst reading, and by the end I was looking forward to stubbing out the last filthy fag and chucking all the ashtrays, lighters and matches in the bin!
That was 18 months ago, and I have never had the slightest desire to smoke since. I can quite happily go into pubs, clubs, restaurants, where people are smoking, and it doesn't bother me in the least. In fact I feel very sorry for them, rather than envy them, just like Allen said I would!
I wholeheartedly agree with an earlier reviewer that this method would be heaps better than the one the BBC used. Scaremongering tactics just don't work, nor does cutting down, using patches, any of those "usual" methods.

5.0 out of 5 stars it works, 2 Dec 2006
R. Jones "rebeld0g" (UK) - See all my reviews
I confess I didn't buy this book from Amazon - I was given a copy by an ex smoker. I had tried to quit smoking loads of times using every stupid technique known to man, but nothing seemed to work. Carr's book unravels all the myths and brainwashing and makes quitting so easy it is almost amusing! I now laugh at how dumb I was before trying to do something so ludicrously simple. It worked. I no longer smoke, nor do I want to ever again. As Carr puts it in his book, I am a "happy non-smoker". Genius... pure genius.

If you want to quit then this technique is THE way to do it. Don't use patches or replacement therapy. Don't replace nicotine from cigarettes with nicotine from patches. Just get rid of nicotine completely without any suffering. I promise, as someone who has benefitted from this book, the method REALLY WORKS.

I have nothing to gain from plugging this book except the satisfying thought that I might convince a smoker to try and and quit the habit easily.

4.0 out of 5 stars Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking, 20 Jan 2006
By A Customer
I bought this book about four months ago, after being sick of spending every winter with a cold, and not wanting to do that anymore. I can honestly say that as soon as I read this book I stopped smoking without any effort or tears. I'm not entirely sure when I stopped because I've stuck closely to the methods as instructed,(you'll understand when you've read the book!), but although there have been moments when I've craved a cigarette, I've never seriously wanted one. After being convinced that I would never be able to stop this book has totally altered my perspective of smoking. If you stick to the rules it will for you too. I would never recommend anyone to stop without this book, and if it can work for me...!

5.0 out of 5 stars I can't explain how, but it really does work., 13 Jan 2001
By A Customer
4 years ago i was desperate to give up smoking. After trying everything from patches to gum to hypnotic tapes I though I couldn't give up. Yes I managed to stop for a few days, but I always had the 'hunger' for a cigarette, until finally I gave in and bought a pack. I was shopping one weekend and noticed this funny little book, the same size as a packet of fags, on the shelf. Curiosity took over and I bought the book. It cost me ...just a little more than I was paying for a packet of 20. I started to read it a few days later. After a chapter or two, I decided that this book could not help me. Well it wasn't scaring me into quitting, it was telling me anything I didn't already know. It was nearly a month later that I thought what the hell and continued with the book. One of the best decisions of my life. I finished the book within a week. I read the final chapter on the Sunday night. I haven't had a cigarette since that Sunday, 4 years ago. Whats more I haven't wanted a cigarette since that Sunday. I recommend this book to everyone who wants to stop smoking. I know of at least 10 people who have quit after reading this book. It works....I don't know how, but it works.

5.0 out of 5 stars How to Quit Smoking- No If, Ands, or Butts, 21 Jun 2007
No need for a long review here. About the first three quarters of the book is spent exploding various myths and delusions about smoking (such as smoking relaxing you or getting rid of stress), which sets you up and gets you into the right frame of mind for actually quitting. At this point, the book wants you to continue smoking while you read it. In a nutshell, the easy way to stop smoking involves two things: one, deciding you are never going to smoke again, and two, don't mope about it anymore, rejoice. Sounds too simple, but after reading the first part of the book, this strategy will make more sense to you.

Lastly, the book cites two main reasons why you will fail: the influence of other smokers, and having a bad day. Having been around for 20 some years and being able to refine it with twenty years of feedback, I feel like this is one of the better books out there on non-smoking.

Also helpful: The Sixty-Second Motivator -short, to the point, and practical.

5.0 out of 5 stars It works., 27 April 2006
S. Itenov (Denmark) - See all my reviews
I have tried every method under the sun and tried to break my 15 year old 20-30 a day habit more times then I care to remember. The only method recommended to me by people who had actually stopped smoking permanently was Allen Carrs. They never seemed to talk about "still wanting one" and they seemed so damned happy about it, too, the bastards! So, being a smoker with a smoker's logic, I stayed away from Allen and his method, because it obviously worked and I would have to give up my precious ones!

After six years (during which time 54750 red Marlboros were sucked into my lungs!) I saw the book by chance in a bookstore and bought it, thinking that I would quit someday, but certainly not now. But I did. And it was easy. And enjoyable. And fantastic. And amazing. And now, four months later I can honestly say that have no need or desire to ever smoke again. For the first time in my adult life, I am free. And the cool thing is that so can you! Here is what you do:

1.Buy the book

2.read it and follow the instructions

3.Enjoy your (now much prolonged) life :-).

Thank you, Allen, you literally saved my life.

5.0 out of 5 stars Believe the hype!, 21 Oct 2004
Jr Lorrimer "jlorrimer" (Oakworth) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It's now 15 months since I read this book and gained my freedom from 25 years of slavery to nicotine. I laughed at how easy it was.. and then felt anger that I'd been fooling myself for so long. Stopping really was effortless, but unfortunately, the only difficulty you will have after reading this book is convincing other smokers that it is the best way to stop their habit successfully. Fortunately you will be armed with the information to explain their reasons for avoiding this book (basically the fear of "giving up" something!), but after buying several copies for friends who are now ex smokers I can assure you it is worth the effort. The only thing that can match the euphoria you will feel after reading this book is seeing the same results with others. By far the most amazing book I have ever read. A priceless investment that WILL change your life.

Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking
Allen Carr's Easy Way to Stop Smoking by Allen Carr (Audio CD - 5 Jan 2006)
9.00