5.0 out of 5 stars For the young James Bond fan!
My Son, who is 8 years old, has recently become enamoured with the James Bond film franchise since I introduced it to him when I bought the blu ray movie collection.
Since then he has watched most of the films and thoroughly enjoyed them so I thought this series of books would be fun for him.
He read them in a matter of days and thought they were fantastic and...
Published 19 months ago by M. Crossman

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but I prefer Alex Rider
From Rowan (age 9) I enjoyed the story but found Charlie Higson's voice a bit monotonous. Not as good as Alex Rider so I'll probably only listen to it once.
Published on 3 Nov 2009

5.0 out of 5 stars For the young James Bond fan!, 20 Dec 2012
M. Crossman (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Young Bond: SilverFin (Paperback)
He read them in a matter of days and thought they were fantastic and I'm happy because the subject matter in the films is sometimes a tad too dark for a pre-teen whilst these books are perfect.
My Son highly recommends them.

5.0 out of 5 stars Silverfin., 26 Dec 2010
This review is from: Silver Fin (Kindle Edition)
I am twelve and I think this is a great book for those ten to adults as it contains action mystery and romance. The story was written about James Bond in the years between the two world wars. James hates his schooling at Eton so when the summer holidays come he travels up to his aunt and uncle's lodgings up in Scotland. A mystery unfolds as a murder is discovered and strange coincedences occur.
This book is perfect for those who cant bear another story of fairys and talking animals.

3.0 out of 5 stars Quite good, but I prefer Alex Rider, 3 Nov 2009
A Kid's Review
This review is from: Silverfin (Young Bond) (Audio CD)

4.0 out of 5 stars The essence of Bond, 18 Dec 2010
A. Brown "oneexwidow" (Bristol) - See all my reviews
It's James Bond's first term (or rather, his first half) at Eton and things take a bit of getting used to. Odd rules and customs seem incompressible and some of the older pupils can be, well, bullies. Soon, however, it's the Easter holidays and a chance to rest at the home of his Uncle in the highlands of Scotland, near Loch Silverfin. Little does he know that things are about to take a dark twist and he will find himself drawn into an adventure he never expected...

This is the first of Charlie Higson's Young Bond novels, which are fully authorised by Ian Fleming Publications. In it he begins to construct a back story for Bond' and his early life as a child in post World War I Britain.

Higson has cleverly taken the essence of Bond's character - grit, courage and determination - and transposed it to into a younger, more naive vessel. He has also taken the best loved elements of the films - the manic villain, the chases, the Bond girl - and worked them into the plot, thus enhancing the authenticity of this as a part of the Bond canon.

Despite being set between the wars, he has given the characters - and their dialogue - a current feel in keeping with his young audience. Although slightly odd, from the perspective of an older reader, this approach does work and the target audience (11-13 year old boys, I'd say) will take it for granted.

There are a couple of places where, for me, he does misses the mark, though. For instance, I thought naming the girl Wilder Lawless was fun but naming her horse Martini was a bit much. Such squabbles were minor though and did not detract from my enjoyment of the book. Indeed, I liked it so much I have already added the next, Blood Fever, to my Amazon wish list.

I'd thoroughly recommend Silverfin to any fan of James Bond, young or old.

5.0 out of 5 stars SIlverfin - Harry Potter for Spies, 5 April 2005
Sam Allen (Somewhere in England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Silverfin (Young Bond) (Audio CD)
Charlie Higson, like me, is a Bond aficionado and would know only too well the weight of expectation concerning this,his first 'Young Bond' novel. I must confess that I was sceptical as to whether he'd be able to come up with, what is ostensibly, an origin story for 007. I'm thrilled to report that he manages it with pace and wit aplenty.
The story follows Bond from the playing fields of Eton to the Highlands of Scotland, where he follows up the disappearance of a young local boy in the area around a loch called Silverfin. Without going into too much detail, the story does feature a mad, outsize villain, a dastardly plot and a heavily fortified headquarters. This is clearly all the stuff of Bond and, predictability being part of the Bond formula, works just fine. It's exciting whilst bordering on silly and plays out just the way you would want it to.
However, Silverfin really scores when the author gets down and personal with our young, not yet legendary hero. Using what little information Fleming revealed about Bond's background, Higson begins to weave a compelling tapestry of the characters and places that will come to shape his life. To do this, Higson takes the well-established idea that Bond was (and is) a fantasy projection of Ian Fleming himself and than proceeds to cosolidate this perception even further by making HIS Bond echo some of Fleming's life. Hence, Bond is now a keen cross-country runner at Eton just as Fleming was himself. The major change, I suspect however, between young Bond and young Fleming was that Fleming was a somewhat vain and pompous young upstart, whereas Higson's Bond is rather sweet and unassuming.
Silverfin is a terrific ripping yarn that, I believe, Ian Fleming and the Fleming estate would thoroughly approve of. Five Stars!
Not only that but that other all-important Bond family may well be impressed too:
If the Broccoli's are sharp, they seriously could have the next Harry Potter on their hands as well as a fabulous way of opening up Bond's cinematic heritage; Alan Rickman as the villainous Lord Hellebore, Celia Imrie as Aunt Charmian, Patrick Macnee as Uncle Max,Sir Anthony Hopkins as Mr. Merriot e.t.c.
If Cody Banks and Spy Kids can cheerfully rip-off what the Broccolis have successfully been doing for decades, surely they, in return, can outspy young Cody with the real deal - Young Bond!

5.0 out of 5 stars An addictive read, 12 April 2012
Osetinka (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
Charlie Higson has written this excellently - I strongly disagree with the reviewers who think that this novel drags on and has been written in a monotonous or boring style. A few reviews have also mentioned Anthony Horowitz, that he could have done a better job at writing Silverfin or that they prefer his books to Higson's.
I do not disagree (I am a MASSIVE Horowitz fan myself - he is my favourite author!), and even though the storyline is similar to the Alex Rider adventures, it did not stop me from thoroughly enjoying this spy novel.
The plot keeps you hooked all the way through, and even though there are a few technical parts describing the mechanics of a car (as a girl, I admit that during the long explanations Higson lost me for a few pages), it did not put me off at all.
I would definitely recommend this to any lover of spy stories, adventure, action and a touch of horror. This novel is not at all disappointing - I loved it!

5.0 out of 5 stars A book to get a reluctant boy of 11 reading, 20 Nov 2011
This was just what was needed to inspire my 11 year old grandson to read. He has already booked the next in the series for Christmas.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant prequel to the 007 novels, 1 Feb 2005
R. Moriarty "Roisin" (Ireland) - See all my reviews
As a fan of Ian Fleming's original Bond novels, I was eager to discover how Charlie Higson would tackle the famous spy's first adventures as a 1930s school boy. Would he be able to produce the same style of page turning adventure? Would the dry Fleming wit be present? Most importantly, would I recognise in this young boy the future hero of millions of people around the globe? Happily, the answer to all these questions is a resounding "YES!".
I'm not even going to hint at the plot as I don't want to give anything at all away. Suffice to say that fans of Fleming's novels, as well as Bond film fans of all ages, are definitely in for a treat. Higson has done a wonderful job of reproducing Fleming's style and "Silverfin" deserves a place on the bookshelf just ahead of "Casino Royale" (with space in between for future Young Bond adventures). This cleverly conceived and beautifully executed novel is an absolute must for all James Bond fans and I can give Higson no higher praise than to say that I'm sure Ian Fleming would approve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 30 Jun 2014
This review is from: Young Bond: SilverFin (Paperback)
My son has been enthralled by every page of this book.

5.0 out of 5 stars I LOVE IT, 23 Jun 2014
This review is from: Silver Fin (Kindle Edition)
This book is great!!!

It has loads of action and tension.
You could not get a book this cheap in a store.

Silverfin (Young Bond)
Silverfin (Young Bond) by Charlie Higson (Audio CD - 3 Mar 2005)
Used & New from: 6.13