5.0 out of 5 stars Mia's review age 9
This is the best book ever because it is all about a little girl who goes on loads
of adventures with the B F G [the big friendly giant], and the adventures are really imaginative.

I am only nine and I read this book when I was about 7 , but even now I could
still read the book over and over again [ thats how good it is].

If I were you I...
Published on 28 Jan. 2010

3.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic book; Kindle Edition could be better.
I'll leave comments on Dahl's fantastic story to others, but I will comment on the Kindle edition.

The good: The pictures are well presented and clear.

The bad: There are quite a lot of errors in the text. Pretty much every chapter has a word or two that has been incorrectly entered. It's not enough to spoil one's enjoyment of the book but it is...
Published on 10 May 2011 by T. J. Aidley

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars THE BFG, 1 Sept. 2009
L. Hopper "the barron" (Reading, England) - See all my reviews
I just love this book! I picked it up while on holiday with my 8 year old niece. But as she was reading it at the time I couldn't have access to when I wanted. I didn't flumwaddle a minute more and ordered it from Amazon.
Why I haven't read it before I don't know. I'm 53!

5.0 out of 5 stars The BFG, 17 May 2009
Spider Monkey (UK) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: The BFG (Paperback)
`The BFG' is another simply delightful book from Roald Dahl. This follows the adventures of the orphan Sophie who sees the BFG one night as he blows dreams into children's bedrooms and is taken to live with him in his cave. They are surrounded by nasty, children eating giants and the rest of the book looks at how they capture them and rid the world of their tyranny. Although that is a brief snapshot of the storyline, this book has all of Dahl usual charm and imaginative writing that is a delight to immerse yourself in. From small touches, like the foul snozzcumber the BFG eats, to how the Queen builds a giant sized table when The BFG comes for breakfast, it is the details that make this story as rich and engaging as it is. There are wonderful illustrations from Quentin Blake throughout and these only add to the charm of the overall book. If you're a fan of Roald Dahl this shouldn't disappoint you and if you're new to his books then this a good first one to try. I also heartily recommend `Danny the Champion of the World'.

Feel free to check out my blog which can be found on my profile page.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best of Roald Dahl's creations...!!!, 16 Jan. 2002
E. K. Mackay "stargazing4eva" (birmingham, UK) - See all my reviews
This is a magical story for people of all ages and reading abilities to sink their teeth into.
It tells the story of a little girl, befriended by a giant who run off into the night to save the world from the bone-crunchers and the child-chewing giants.
This book will make you smile, if you missed reading it as a kid, then read it! If you've read it before, what the heck, read it again, a fabulous book!

5.0 out of 5 stars G-Mae's BFG review, 8 Jun. 2006
Mrs Thayer's class (Letchworth, England) - See all my reviews
If you want laughter, entertainment and excitment, then read the BFG, by the fabulous Roald Dahl. When you start reading it, you can't put it down. You never know what will happen!

My favourite characters are Sophie, who is taken in the middle of the night, by my other favourite character, The BFG.

Sophie is taken to Giant Country...in the middle of the night! Sophie and The BFG then battle to save England....from Her Magesty The Queen..to old grandmas! But can they?? I won't tell you anymore, it spoils it!

The language Roald Dahl uses is fantastic, especially "Gobblefunk." The text is very funny, especially when Sophie corrects The BFG.

I would recommend this book to magic-lovers.

4.0 out of 5 stars a brill book, 12 Feb. 2008
Plot: The kind BFG is the only giant who does not eat children like all the other giants but actually horrible snozzcumbers. He catches all the dreams and gives them to children. Sophie caught the friendly giant at his lovely act but she had to be taken because no one was to know of his kindness or even his existence!

An amazing fact about the book connected with the author: The BFG's friend Sophie was named after Dahl's granddaughter, the real Sophie. She was the only member of Roald Dahl's family whose name was mentioned in one of his books.

Another cool comment about the book: BFG was Roald Dahl's favourite character that he created due to his wonderful qualities including his kindness. Which of Roald Dahl's characters are your favourite?

Rating and recommendation: 7/ 10; to all Roald Dahl fans.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Delightful, 17 Mar. 2006
I was first introduced to this book when I went to my library and they didn't have the fantastic Mr fox, and the librarian suggested the audio tape of this. It was so exciting I listened to it every night until I had to return it and then continuously pestered my mother until she bought it for me, and now 13 years later it is still one of my favourites. Roald Dahl's ability to scare and delight is incredible. Sophie's adventures with the BFG will stay with me and my children forever.

5.0 out of 5 stars The BFG, 13 Jun. 2010
A Kid's Review
This review is from: The BFG (Paperback)
It was exciting because giants do not exist or do they? I liked the story. I thought the story was quite funny and quite scary and I liked the bit where the giant grabbed Sophie. I am going to give it five stars because I liked it a lot

5.0 out of 5 stars Great! If you're 5 or 105, you'll be sure to love this book!, 7 Nov. 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: The BFG (Puffin Books) (Paperback)
I read the BFG when I was aged 9. Even now, at the age of 21, I still frequently think back to the wonderful piece of "imagination food" I digested all those years ago. Roald Dahl choses his words to cultivate young imaginations, stimulating thought (and laughter!). Dahl's stories are all so refreshingly lively and colourful, especially this one. Children, you'll love this book, and parents, you'll probably love it more than your little ones. I know that I shall always have a part of my mind dedicated to Sophie, BFG, and thier not so scrum-diddly-umptious Snozzcumbers.....!

5.0 out of 5 stars Gloriumptious!!! reviewed by Danae - 7 years old, 4 Dec. 2011
*The BFG is written by Roald Dahl and illustrated by Quentin Blake

*It is one of the funniest books I have ever read and I really enjoyed it. It is about a girl named Sophie who lives in an orphanage. One night she wakes up during the "witching hour" and sees a tall dark figure in the distance. As it comes closer, she realises it is a giant! The giant sees her too and though she hides under the covers in her bed, he carries her away to have her for breakfast - or so she thinks! But when he gets to where his home is she discovers he is a Big Friendly Giant (the BFG) who blows dreams through his trumpet into sleeping children's minds. In his land there live another nine, evil giants who eat human beings (or "human beans" as the BFG calls them). This is just the beginning of Sophie's friendship with the BFG and their adventure to save the people around the world from being eaten by the mean giants. Together with the help of the Queen of England, they capture the mean giants and punish them. Sophie, the BFG and the Queen live happily ever after.

*My favourite character was the BFG. He was kind, funny, friendly and very fair.

*I loved the funny made up words that the BFG used when he was speaking. Now I "is speaking to my the family like he is do"! I even used one of these words in my title!

*My favourite part was when he was having breakfast in the palace sitting on a chest of drawers on top of a grand piano. And when he wanted to drink "frobscottle" and "go whizzpopping" in the Great Ballroom while he was sitting next to her "Majester"! I also liked the bit when the maid dropped the Queen's breakfast on the floor!

*One thing I didn't like is that some of these made up words were very long and difficult to read. Otherwise the book was GLORIUMPTIOUS!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant !!, 23 Nov. 2013
This review is from: The BFG (Audio Book) (Audio CD)
I bought the BFG audio book for my daughter. I have to travel a far distance to pick her up for the school holidays and she gets bored in the car.
She has seen the BFG film so I knew she liked the story. The audio book is brilliant, we listen to it together in the car and then another four times in the week she stayed.
Brilliantly read by David Walliams, he was the perfect choice to read the book. My daughter now picks fault with the film saying bits are missing !
I highly recommend this audio book to all BFG lovers !

‹ Previous | 1 2 322 | Next ›

The BFG (Dramatised Recording)
The BFG (Dramatised Recording) by Roald Dahl (Audio CD - 3 Mar. 2005)