5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent readings
This selection of CDs contains some of Roald Dahl's stories that are usually considered to be for younger children. You get four stories, each read by a differnt person and each reader brings something different to the stories.

Published on 10 Aug 2009 by Richard Kelly

3.0 out of 5 stars Three Stars
Arrived promptly but case was cracked.
Published 2 months ago by MRS AMY SARKIES

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent readings, 10 Aug 2009
Richard Kelly (Manchester, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)

The Fantastic Mr Fox is read by Martin Jarvis, who has a wonderful array of voices and his deliver is excellent - this is the one that my kids want to listen to in the car. It is a good story brought to life by the reading.

The Giraffe and the Pelly and Me is read by Hugh Laurie who again is an excellent reader. He has an infectious voice that really brings the story to life - he even sings the songs, which to be honest most readers don't do!!!

The Enormous Crocodile is read by Stephen Fry who sounds like a kindly grandfather (all be it quite a young one) reading a story to a young child. It's okay, but my kids just have never really taken to his style of delivery, most of his voices do sound the same.

Esio Trot is read by Geoffrey Palmer, who does read it like a grandfather. He does have a selection of voices that he uses and he delivers the story perfectly adequatly. Personally I don't think that this one of one of Dahl's strongest stories though and it suffers in comparison to the first two.

All the strories are enjoyable and each will while away the time whilst on a journey in the car.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 7 Feb 2009
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
I bought this cd for my 8 year old. He absolutely loves it. I downloaded it to his mp3 player and he listens to it before he goes to bed or when we go on a car journey. The stories are very funny and entertaining. Easy to understand, no difficult words or complicated sentences. I can highly recommend it to anyone.

5.0 out of 5 stars Dahl leaps off the page, 7 Nov 2010
Clurr (London, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
I couldn't agree more with Mr Kelly of Manchester. These actors have all brought these stories to life in their own way, and of the four, I would say (somewhat surprisingly) that Stephen Fry's is the least listened to by our family, and Martin Jarvis' excellent Mr Fox is truly fantastic and listened to on every car journey, whether we have time to get to the end or not! My nearly 5 year old loves the whole collection. I bought them when he was having trouble getting to sleep - they didn't help, he was too enthralled and still awake at the end! So the CDs went into the car and they have come into their own. Our 2 year old, who I'm sure still doesn't 'get' any of Dahl's stories, calls out "Mr Fox Mr Fox!" from the back seat and so it goes into the CD player and the grownups score half an hour of peace in the front seat, though I haven't yet tired of listening to it myself! Martin Jarvis is wonderful in this version. Geoffrey Palmer just makes me grin, I imagine him sucking on a Werthers Original while reading and smiling laconically... he's made me like Esio Trot a whole lot more. Hugh Laurie is the just the right amount of kooky in the Giraffe, the Pelly and Me. Great casting for all four stories.

Excellently read, wonderful character voices and scene setting which really brings these stories to life. This version will definitely appeal to younger listeners as just the right mix of dramatisation and good storytelling. A great buy and perfect for car journeys!

5.0 out of 5 stars A five year old audiobook convert!, 24 May 2009
P. Stephens "Yorkie P" (Basingstoke, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
I bought this selection of Roald Dahl stories for my five year old daughter, having being a fan of his books as a boy. She adores them all and plays them in her bedroom every night before bed, often making mum or dad listen to her favorite bits or telling us about the stories the next morning. All the stories are beautifully narrated and I appreciate the fact that they are unabridged. You can't go far wrong with Roald Dahl for children and this doesn't disappoint. Recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, even for a vegetarian........, 2 Sep 2009
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
The kids LOVE them. We and they listened to the stories all through the holiday, all the way back in the car, and they have not been out of the cd player since.
Well well worth it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Roald Dahl Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories CD, 3 Sep 2009
Mr. R. A. Perring (west midlands) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
I bought the Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories for my six year old grandson and both he and his parents love it.

As such I have no hesitation in recommending it.

5.0 out of 5 stars fantastic mr fox and other stories, 27 Nov 2009
Mrs. J. Bryant "j bryant" (england) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
my 4 year old son has been glued to the stereo with these wonderful stories, infact my husband and i want to know whats happening too! it makes a nice relaxed atmosphere when the stories are on. nice not to have TV blaring.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!, 27 Mar 2014
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
This is a great story beautifully read. The grandchildren always ask for it on a car journey.
Five star rating.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant stories, brilliantly narrated, 4 Nov 2013
E. Lloyd (Hemel Hempstead, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
This is a fantastic collection of Roald Dahl stories which kept both adults and children entertained on long car journeys. It's good enough to listen to over and again.

5.0 out of 5 stars Exciting stories, 1 Nov 2013
This review is from: Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories (Audio CD)
I can get my grand daughter to go to bed early if she is allowed to listen to this CD.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories
Fantastic Mr Fox and Other Animal Stories by Roald Dahl (Audio CD - 25 Nov 2004)