5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom - a book for life?!
I HAD to write a review on here.
I first read this book when I was about 10 and, 20 years later, still have the tatty copy which was once so shiny and new.
Published on 30 Dec 2002 by C. Robson

3.0 out of 5 stars Shocking in parts
I have been reading snippets of Goodnight Mr Tom to my two children aged 8 and 9, as my partner and I take it in turns to read the bedtime story each evening. Although I think that the book is very good, and well-written, I have to mention that I was deeply shocked by the graphic portrayal of Will's abuse by his mother. The description of his condition at the beginning of...
Published on 7 May 2011 by Chocaholic

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom - a book for life?!, 30 Dec 2002
C. Robson (Mayfair, London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Library Binding)
I HAD to write a review on here.
In all my years, in all the books I have read, I have never read a childrens book as powerful as this. Magorian draws from the reader a depth of emotions from joy through to utter despair as she takes you on the journey of two people saving each other from their hellish loneliness.
If you saw the film and are looking at this review thinking "maybe, I'll get it", stop thinking and go for it!
If you hated the film... well... what can I say? I hated it too which broke my heart as I was expecting a film as strong as the book.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom review, 8 Jan 2007
Jacqueline Hooton (West sussex, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
As a twelve year old I can highly recommend this book to another reader my age. The author really makes you feel for the characters. It is an emotional story that has you gripping to every page. It is suitable for both boys and girls. The story is about the relationships in William Beech's life. How it develops with Mr Tom and how it is created between his new friends in the country. But when he receives a letter from his mother, William's new fantasy world created by Mr Tom was all about to change. A classic story with a twist.

4.0 out of 5 stars Mister Tom kept me awake!, 31 Aug 2009
A. R. Hogg "Alan R" (Edinburgh) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Hardcover)
I purchased this book for my 15 year old Daughter as part of her course work for History O level (lowers here in Scotland). I had never read this before and she finished the book within 2 days, I picked up it up one Sunday and to my astonishment read it from cover to cover through the Sunday night unable to put it down. An excellent book so different to what I have been reading in recent years, a charming story that pulled the hearstrings and allowed me the luxury of being two characters at the same time, To anyone who has not read this yet, you must!
the writing is only mildly aged in a different era, but the gritty realism of the circumstances and sub plots are more than enough to keep you moving toward the end, when finished I was left wondering what next as there are more stories to imagine. An excellent little tome and well worth keeping as reminder of a very troubled times, I am ensuring my teenagers read this, it may make them see their current circumstances in a new light.

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent for use in school, 18 Jan 2000
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Hardcover)
As a teacher of 9 - 11 year olds I highly recommend that you read this text. I use it when we are studying Britain since the 1930's. The book is far better than the film, although I loved the film!!

5.0 out of 5 stars This book evokes lots of feelings-it makes you laugh and cry, 19 Mar 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Paperback)
This book is one of the best books I have ever read. It made me feel happy and sad and I really felt as if I could understand the characters feelings. There was a lot of expression and description in this book which led the reader furthur into the story. I thoroughly enjoyed this book and would tell everyone to read and enjoy.

4.0 out of 5 stars a stunning emotional book that captures the feelings., 1 Nov 2001
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
Tom is not amused when he is first dumped with a little boy aged 8 because of the 2nd world war but secretly finds out much more then he intended to find out about him. He is suspious of that Willie, the young boy is being abused and that the rumous of the City children are the opposites of Willie's character. Willie is not an average child because he can't write and had never the chance to learn and also he is treated as though he was a devil. He's mother has poisoned him with untrue things like, the reason he has to slepp under his mother's bed is because he would die. this is why he was so frightened of sleeping in the bed at Mr Tom's house as he calls him. Willie learns a whole new experience living with Mr Tom, infact he learns to love Tom and to love squirrels and dogs that he's never seen! Tom gets the letter from Willie's mum and is angry because it says he should beat him with the belt if he's bad which then he realizes were Willie's bruises had come from. Willie is upset and feels sick because of all the good things he has been eating. When he gose to the doctors he is very scared because his mother told him that they were bad people which is probably why he was so scared. Willie envys children who can read and longs to paint, and when he gose shopping with Tom he is very very supprised that Tom buys him a comic and some sweets... and lets him choose which ones. according to Willie he has never been asked to choose a comic or even a sweet in his whole life. This shows how mean his mother is infact it makes me really lucky when i think whole many comics and sweets i've had and thought nothing of them. The Way the athor has put it i bet he'll treasure that comic till he dies! We find out why Tom may be so cranky with everyone and it could be because his wife Rachel died and this must of been his most sadest moment because even when he looks at the paint shop across the road it reminds him of Rachel and how she use to love painting. He had never been in there since she died, because he had no reason too, he didn't like to paint so much but now, he has a reason... Willie. Willie likes to paint and because his birthday was coming up tom decided to buy him some paints. Willie in the meantime dosen't even now whats so speacial about his birthday. This made me really sad because i know that every birthday i have it's a really happy day and i always look forward too it. idn't get so much as a card letalone a pressie. His mum didn't say anything about his birthday she must of just said that he was a year older and that was it! While Tom gose to the church to volentire which makes every one there suprised because, hey all think that Tom is an old selfish man and dose nothing to help anyone. Willie meets someone... Zach and is really excited that Zach is intrested in him and likes him! He says he had never had a friend before which is really sad i think because everyone should have friends to support you and share your worries and happyness.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mister Tom!, 16 Mar 2012
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
After seeing the film many times it became one of my favourites, so I bought the book. I am not a reader, but read this in 6 days. It is absolutely brilliant and SO much better than the film. I know they have to condense a film when taken from a book but couldn't beleive how MUCH they changed the storylines when making it! The book had me completely hooked and I would definately advise fans of the film to read it. I didn't want to say 'Goodnight Mister Tom', I wanted it to keep going until William had grown up.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartwarming and Heartwrenching, 6 Mar 2012
Amazon Customer (Gloucestershire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mister Tom (Paperback)
I defy anyone to not be moved by this beautiful story. I first read this in year 5 and it was read out bit by bit in class and i just couldnt wait to get to the end and immediately bought my own copy. That was longer ago then i care to admit and ive read it again and again and still find myself on the verge of tears every time.
From the unforgettable characters to the wonderfully English setting and not forgetting Sam the dog this story takes you from desperately sad to dizzying heights of happiness and back again before the unforgettable ending that will stay with you long after you've closed the book.
Can't recommend this book enough.

4.0 out of 5 stars A fantastic book, 23 Mar 2001
By A Customer
Goodnight Mister Tom is a marvellous book with a story about a young boy who gets evacuated to the country to live with a very quiet man. After a while Will, (the little boy) starts to make friends and finds hidden talents he never knew he had. While will enjoys his time with Mr (Tom) Oakley, Mr Tom himself gets his life back. When Will gets a letter from his mother telling him to go back to her, he and Tom are very upset and know that they will miss each other... This book is a brilliant book and I couldn't find one boring part.

4.0 out of 5 stars Goodnight Mr Tom, 25 April 2005
N. BOULT (UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goodnight Mr Tom (Paperback)
This book is about a boy called Willie. He is an evacuee in world war 2. He has to go and stay with Tom Oakley, who lives in the countryside. At first they don't get on, because Tom does not want an evacuee staying with him. Willie is scared of Tom because his mother beats him, therefore he is weary of any adult.
Over the months they grow to become friends. All is well until Willie has to go home to his mother, who he knows, will continue to beat him. Tom is also aware of this and does not want him to go.
The book has a very moving and emotional ending. Read this book to find out what happens when Willie finally returns home.
I read this book when I was I Year 7 (11 years old) and I thought it was very appropriate for my age group.

Goodnight Mister Tom (Puffin Audiobooks)
Goodnight Mister Tom (Puffin Audiobooks) by Michelle Magorian (Audio CD - 6 Mar 2003)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available