5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!
This book is an absolute must for every child.....and parent for that matter.

Published on 1 Dec. 2006 by Mr. M. M. Mcdonnell

1.0 out of 5 stars Story incomplete
Warning: Don't buy this board book version of this wonderful Hairy Maclary rhyming story - it is incomplete so the rhyme finishes in mid air. There are two lines (and two illustrations) missing at the end. The hard back collection of Hairy Mclary stories is a good buy or Waterstones do an exclusive three story collection for £7.99.
Published on 21 Nov. 2011 by JJB

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic!!, 1 Dec. 2006
This book is an absolute must for every child.....and parent for that matter.

I first read Hairy Maclary to my little brother over 15 years ago and have been given it as a gift for my 1 year old. She thinks that it is fab and loves Scarface Claw - The toughest Tom in Town. The rythmn of the book is great and I have to agree with everyone else who says that it is perfect for bedtime.

1.0 out of 5 stars Story incomplete, 21 Nov. 2011

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful building story, with rhymes and silly dogs..., 16 Feb. 2003
Lynley Dodd is a writer/illustrator from New Zealand who has been publishing for some time, but her Hairy Maclary books have had the most success. "Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy" is a dear little black dog who gets into all sorts of trouble. In this story he goes out for a walk and meets up with lots of other dogs (as he meets each one, their name is added to the list: Schnitzel von Crumb - with a very low tum, Bottomly Potts - all covered in spots, ... with Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy) Finally (to their horror) they all come across Scarface Claw: the roughest, toughest tomcat in town.
It's a lot of fun, and any parent or children's librarian will soon have the whole thing memorised from constant reading.

2.0 out of 5 stars Love the story but didn't know this was pocket sized!!!!, 11 Dec. 2010
This review is from: Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy (Hairy Maclary and Friends) (Pocket-sized) (Paperback)
My children and I love Hairy Maclary books, in fact I think we have them all, so I decided to buy this for someone as a present. Unfortunately, it doesn't explain in the description that this is a pocket sized book. Admittedly, if you look at the book dimensions further down you'll see it's very small, but I've never thought of looking at this when buying a book online (I will now!). For the cost of the book it's not worth the hassle of returning. The story is fabulous though, shame the book is too small to appreciate the pictures.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must for your nursery collection, 26 Mar. 2013
Sam for [...]

I can remember this Hairy Maclary book from when I was very small, so as I am determined my little monkey WILL relive my literary childhood this was on the must have list!

Hairy Maclary is a cheeky little black Scottie dog who Lynley Dodd introduces us to using the most rhythmic rhymes! In 256 deliciously selected words we are sung the tale of how Hairy Maclary goes for a stroll and collects his friends; Hercules Morse (the Great Dane) as big as horse, Bottomley Potts (the Dalmatian) covered in spots, Muffin McLay (the old English Sheepdog) like a bundle of hay, Bitzer Maloney (the grey Whippet or Greyhound - I really need to pay attention to Crufts this year!) all skinny and bony, Schnitzel von Krumm (the brown dashund/sausage dog) with a very low tum. After walking through town this proud pack of poochy pals are startled by Scarface Claw, the toughest tom(cat) in town whose scary yowl sends them all back home sharpish with their hairy tails between their legs!

My two year old loves rhyming books and this was no exception. His favourite part is the excitement of the confrontational yowl "EEEEEOWWWFFTZ!" of Scarface Claw! Also the way the names of the doggy friends are repeated throughout like a endearing canine version of `In my bag I packed', gives the familiarity he likes from a story/board book and also sets a fun challenge for us parents to try and learn off by heart too!

In addition to this delightful story there are 17 beautiful pictures also created by the author which accompany a few short lines. Seeing my son's eyes light up when we flip the page to see which character is coming up is so heartwarming, especially that glint of delight and excitement when Scarface Claw appears and he is fully anticipating the menacing cat yowl on the next page!

I can see this being a favourite the older he gets and is even more engaged with the books as he'll quite happily leaf through the pages now without the story being read, which is behaviour I just love and fully encourage! And the detail in the pictures could easily lead a discussion about the characters in the story, pointing out the numbers of the houses, colours of doors, letter boxes and gates etc. Also as the number of dogs increase I can see the fun of spotting the tails sneaking onto the edge of each picture also being a great source of fun!

Verdict: An excellent board picture book and a must have for your nursery collection. It has retained the ability to encourage toddlers into reading and is a pleasure for all adults to read to them. Quite often this story is read in stereo by Mummy and Daddy at bedtime as they are die hard Hairy Maclary fans! (we're also pretty sure our family dog Freddie enjoys it too!)

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous!, 15 July 2006
A. Matthews (Wakefield, England) - See all my reviews
I started reading Hairy Maclary to my son when he was 6 months old. He is now 3 and it is still a firm favourite - a great achievement I think!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent rhyming book for kids, 26 Aug. 1999
By A Customer
My 5 year old loved this book and within a few days could almost recite it from cover to cover as we read it so much. Then my 2 year old started saying some of the rhyming words as well - lovely book for kids. I have now got to go and by the others in the series!

5.0 out of 5 stars Scare factor, spot on, 23 Nov. 2010
I bought this several months ago and waited for my granddaughter to reach an age when I thought she would understand it.

2 weeks ago I read it to her for the first time. She's 19 months. When I got to the Scarface Claw page, and the page after where Scarface goes 'MMEEEEEOOOOOOWWWW' I frightened her so much (I'm a bit of a demonstative reader!) she bawled her head off, so I put the book back in the bookshelf thinking she'd never want it again.

However, she picked it out herself the next day - and bawled her head off again, slamming the book shut on scarface's scary mush. But she persevered, without any badgering or encouragement, and now it's her absolute favourite, her first choice every time. She still tenses up when we get to the page before Scarface because she knows what's coming, but now, instead of bawling, she joins in with her own version of claws, teeth and scary 'mmmeeeooooww'.

Being a little scared is part of the fun of being a kid and the scare factor in this book is just perfect (no pun intended).

5.0 out of 5 stars Hairy Maclary is confronted by the dreaded 'Scarface Claw'., 8 Mar. 1999
By A Customer
Our 18 month daughter has loved this book since she was 6 months old! Hairy Maclary collects all of his dog friends together on his travels, only to be scared witless at the end by the dreaded cat 'Scarface Claw'. It always raises a smile.

5.0 out of 5 stars It'll never be left idyling on the bookshelf....., 26 Nov. 2007
Ms. A. Smith (Lincolnshire) - See all my reviews
My 2 year old absolutely loved this booked from the first time I read it to her. With the rythmic style, tongue-twisting words, great story and wonderful fun, she was laughing with delight sitting still gripped with anticipation. She knows the book off by heart and I've read it so many times, so do I. She particularly loves Scarface Claw! In fact her reaction to this particular book led me to buy all of the Lynley Dodd books in the range! This will definitely be THE book I remember from my daughter's early childhood. So whether it's for your child or someone else's, you've just go to do it.... buy it... it'll never be left idyling on the bookshelf.

Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairy (Hairy Maclary and Friends) (Pocket-sized)
Not in stock; order now and we'll deliver when available