5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning
Published on 2 Sep 2008 by S Riaz

1.0 out of 5 stars Creepy
This book is kind of creepy. It looks like dead stuffed animals put in ridiculous poses. It reminded me of that film where the guy makes scenes with dead stuffed mice! I couldn't look at it without feeling weirded out so there was no way I was going to give it to a child, I sent it back!
Published 4 months ago by Mad Ferret Lady

5.0 out of 5 stars Stunning, 2 Sep 2008
S Riaz "S Riaz" (England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 10 REVIEWER)
I first discovered Lauren Child when my oldest child, now 11, fell in love with the original Charlie and Lola books. Since then I have never been disappointed with her work and this is no exception. My 2 younger children sat in spellbound silence while I read this to them yesterday. It is a magical book, with stunning artwork and a story that has to be the best re-telling of this fairy tale I have read. I would recommend it for any child between 2 and 7 years and is sure to become a treasure you will return to over and over again. It seems to me that Lauren Child is sensible enough to keep a great deal of control over her work. The television adaptation of Charlie and Lola was a great success. Other very good childrens books, most notably Horrid Henry, did not seem to have the same kind of effort put into them. However, Lauren Child is certainly correct to be very wary of what she puts her name to and the high quality of her work makes it a pleasure for the adult as well as the child. She has certainly involved my children in a love of books for which I am very thankful and I would advise everyone to purchase this book today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely traditional story, with a twist .., 29 Mar 2010
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
I love this book. It follows the traditional story of Goldilocks and the Three Bears but the twist is she has new red shoes that she leaves behind at the end when she runs out of the house.

The book using real dolls to create the various scenes giving the whole book a magical feel. It really makes the children feel they could have a go at playing out the story using their own dolls and teddies. Lots of attention to detail and as a parent I really appreciated the effort that had gone into creating the three bears cottage.

I think the photography and quirkyness of this book give make it a winner and would definately look out for other books done this way.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Child enlivens a time honoured classic., 2 May 2012
Selected as the May, 2012 Book Pick on the Mums Write! website!!

Extract from the review:
In retelling "Goldilocks and the Three Bears", Lauren Child remains faithful to the original story line, but uses the cheeky, arch tone we expect from the creator of the Charlie and Lola and Clarice Bean series.

Since fairy tales are rooted in an oral tradition, I think it's fair game for a modern writer to stamp a bedtime favourite with her original narrative voice. Further, Child's accessible, conversational style highlights the ongoing relevance of this classic story.

No museum piece, Goldilocks, like other fairy tales, addresses anxieties and aspirations of central relevance to modern children. My son adopted Child's version of Goldilocks as his personal talisman in the run-up to New Baby. As we readied our house for the arrival of said Dubious Intruder, my son would enact the role of Baby Bear to reassure himself of our ongoing protection.

Child's sharp, yet faithful text partners beautifully with striking, detailed stills by set designer Emily Jenkins and photographer, Polly Borland. Like the text, the artwork is faithful to the original storyline. The bears inhabit a rustic log cabin, complete with beehives- not a Conran-style city pad--and porridge is cooked on an Aga that pre-dates Quaker's Oat so Simple range. But the sharp digital prints, and occasional modern touches - such as Baby Bear's toy alien and car - suit Child's contemporary tone. No sepia or soft focus allowed.

Here's looking forward to further collaborations by this high octane team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lauren Child enlivens a time honoured classic., 2 May 2012
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
Selected as the May, 2012 Book Pick on the Mums Write! website!!

Extract from the review:

Here's looking forward to further collaborations by this high octane team.

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommend, 10 April 2014
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
Good book, recommend. Big pictures make it easy for child to follow the story. My daughter is around 20 months when we purchased.

5.0 out of 5 stars Goldilocks and the 3 bears, 4 April 2014
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
My granddaughter aged 3 is very keen on bears and she loves it, its her first choice bedtime story, thats gets 5 stars from me. The text changes font size for emphasis of the phrasing of the story, which really captures the mood of the story but more importantly holds her attention more effectively than if read normally.

4.0 out of 5 stars Different, 28 July 2013
I bought this book because I enjoy reading the Lauren Child books to my granddaughter, this book is different, no drawings but photographs of a rustic cottage in the middle of the wood, a doll and three teddy bears.

At the beginning my three and a half years old granddaughter was not quite sure if she liked it or not, but now is one of her favorites.

5.0 out of 5 stars My second purchase of this book, 10 Feb 2013
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
I own the hardback. This book was a gift for my sister (in her 30's) It was to inspire her photography of her Blythe doll! (Big heads, small bodies, collectables) She loves it! My daughter 7, loves it, I LOVE it! A really beautiful book!

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it, 20 Jan 2013
Mrs. Nicola Costa (uk) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
Lauren child's books are always a pleasure for the reader and listener. Beautiful illustrations make this books a present worth givming

5.0 out of 5 stars Gorgeous, 4 Dec 2011
This review is from: Goldilocks and the Three Bears (Paperback)
This is a really gorgeous book - sure to become a family favourite that will be read to my grandchildren!! different style to charlie and lola but still fab! Lauren Child can do no wrong in this house!

Goldilocks and the Three Bears
Goldilocks and the Three Bears by Lauren Child (Paperback - 4 Jun 2009)