Format: Paperback|Change

Harry is setting off for his first day at school and he takes his dinosaurs along for back up. This jolly, positive, colourful and informative book is delightfully reassuring about the experience. Poignantly dedicated by both author and illustrators, Ian Whybrow and Adrian Reynolds I get the warm understanding that the creators of these wonderfully acceptable and much appreciated books are real people who truly do know what makes young children tick. They, together with Harry, do have their own most friendly and interesting web site which is worth a look. Using the many long names of the dinosaurs that Harry keeps close to him is a clever, winning technique as small children really enjoy learning and saying the very complicated words for these creatures of the past; a skill that would evade many adults. What fun it is to rattle off Ske-LI-doh-SAW-rus -and the others all helpfully phonetically spelt for us adult readers too. Harry's face is a picture with so many recognisable expressions, all achieved with very little fuss, you really know what he is thinking. I do hope that this school book is a true example of a first day at school experience and that such kindly easy teachers as Mrs. Rance (who knows that dinosaurs have to Raaah!) are widespread throughout the world! For the children's sake.
on 20 September 2011
I liked this book. It has lovely illustrations (as do all the Harry series) and shows Harry as he starts at school with new friends. He has a tiff with his sister (nice that they leave these details in) and cycles to school - good eco touch! I felt the rules they have may clash with rules at each readers new school and as such may be a little misleading. However they but are welcome in that they explain there will be *some* rules Harry assumes there are no buckets of dinos allowed in class but in fact the teacher is very happy for them to come in). It positively helps show how calmer kids can have empathy and show other, more scared children, some things about school e.g. where the toilets are on the first day. I generally felt that this is a gentle introduction to a first day at school.
on 31 October 2007
Ian Whybrow's Harry and the dinosaurs/robots series is hugely successful. Here he takes the well-loved character from small anxiety (caused as always by his big sister) about starting school, through the first day there. Harry likes his teacher, finds his peg to hang his coat on, helps a little boy who is more scared than he is and makes a new friend in so doing. A simple, positive story about a real and important experience in most children's lives.

As adults we often want to tell children that "everything will be alright, don't worry". If they have genuine worries this approach dismisses their fears rather than helping them feel understood and supporting them to find solutions. In reading this book with my little boy it gave us chance to talk about what he was looking forward to in starting school and what he might be a little bit scared about. Hearing about how Harry ultimately enjoyed himself was very encouraging.

We read the book repeatedly in the run-up to starting school. By the time he got to the gates he'd forgotten all about his previously expressed anxieties and ran off into the mêlée. After a few days of being there we re-read the story (and still do from time to time) and my son spoke quite authoritatively that there is nothing to worry about in school. That in itself was quite an interesting learning experience about the nature of fear compared to real experience ...!
on 2 August 2013
Little one Loves Dinosaurs and watches Harry & his Bucket so as he was a little nervous about starting school I had read some other reviews about this book, seems to have done the trick! Only gave 4 stars as there was no school uniforms but really is great little book for dino mad boy with pre school nerves!
on 8 September 2014
My kids absolutely love Harry and the dinosaurs and this book is no exception. I read it to my oldest over and over before he started school. If your kids are fans, this is a must, although I do think that the collection of stories are better value.
on 11 May 2015
My son of 4 loves the "Harry and the Dinosaurs" stories and as he will start school in September this book was perfect for him. Harry finds a new friend who is really upset to go to school but the dinosaurs save the day.
on 15 July 2014
Great series of books. Bought as a birthday present for my grandson who is off to school in September. He lives dinosaurs so I'm sure this book will go down well!
on 16 April 2016
Bought this for my grandsons as he is dinosaur mad. I'm going to get the complete set for him as it is something he'll enjoy for years to come
on 15 January 2013
Well packed,quick delivery,just what my grandson wanted.A xmas present he was really pleased with as dinosaurs rule the world at the moment.
on 24 October 2011
I bought this book to help introduce my grandson into school.
Lovely book, wonderful illustrations.
He takes it to school every day.!