5.0 out of 5 stars Book to have in a private library
It's book to have, pleasure to read, to get to know times it was written and gives you material to think about. In the and we all have our own private worlds ... we call Utopia.
Published 5 months ago by Simon rubin

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for such a prominent and intriguing man
Published 7 months ago by Joanne

5.0 out of 5 stars Book to have in a private library, 6 Mar 2014
This review is from: Utopia (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)

3.0 out of 5 stars Disappointing for such a prominent and intriguing man, 19 Jan 2014
This review is from: Utopia (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
As a Tudor enthusiast, I looked forward to reading this book with fervent anticipation; however, I found it to be lacking in More's real political and religious ideology. Although Utopia was rich with More's humanitarianism and hope for a new world, he had obviously been very cautious not to mention Europe's then pressing issues. Before reading the novel, I felt as though society had this misconception of Saint Thomas More, but this status is completely antithetical to More's alleged torture of Lutherans or 'heretics' at his house in Chelsea and I wanted to prove his deification as undeserved. Yet, to my disappointment, More remained nothing but innocent, presenting his ideas as if he were a prophet. Where is the radical papist comprehension that I was so looking forward to?
Of course, I could not help but concur with some of More's ideas, for example:"For if you suffer your people to be ill-educated, and their manners to be corrupted from their infancy, and then punish them for those crimes to which their first education disposed them, what else is to be concluded from this, but that you first make thieves and then punish them." and, "A pretty face may be enough to catch a man, but it takes character and good nature to hold him." It is true that More was little more than a scholar at the time of Utopia's publication, but I still feel as if the man would have had the opinion and courage to convey some of his true feelings.
I would recommend this novel to anyone studying or who is interested in the Tudor era, but do not expect to uncover More's true self as I felt he was writing his oeuvre under censorship.

Utopia (Penguin Classics)
Utopia (Penguin Classics) by Thomas More (Paperback - 30 Aug 2012)
6.39