5.0 out of 5 stars The funnniest book ever written
Published on 2 Oct 2006 by J. Powell

2.0 out of 5 stars Technical Problem
Love the book, but unfortunately it froze halfway. Deleting and reloading didn't help so I suppose it must be a problem with the book itself.
Published 17 months ago by Dr John Doran

5.0 out of 5 stars The funnniest book ever written, 2 Oct 2006
J. Powell "Mr T shirt" (London) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
There isn't much more to say. It might have been written over a century ago, but it is still an absolute corker of a novel. I first read it in a foreign library and had to keep running out of the door to burst into laughter. Available in lots of versions, including audiobook. I'm sure I've even seen a download version to read on your mobile phone somewhere! That shows how popular this novel is and I advise reading it as soon as possible to make sure you fit the maximum possible laughs into your life.

5.0 out of 5 stars There will always be an England., 11 April 2010
Mr. M. M. Waller "Maximus" (England) - See all my reviews
As a confirmed Hyperchondriac as well as a born again Englishman I can quite happily say that this is a bible for anyone looking to truly understand the complexities of the British psyche. All our foibles, our delibertaions, our occassional skirmishes with sentimentality, our gentle romantic philosophising and our love for nature are laid out in this incredible masterpiece of Victorian literature.

Having suffered for many years with health anxiety, a condition which doesn't prompt much sympathy from non sufferers "Three Men In A Boat" offered truly profound consolidation. Jerome K Jerome encapsualtes the neurosis of the condition and the hilarity of its self propigating nature within the first 3 pages. It's the funniest three pages in the whole of world literature. It never fails to lift my spirits and help me put my phantom "conditions" into perspective.

As the three men embark on what should be a relatively straightforward boating expedition events turn out to become an odyssey quite as perilous as any greek myth or adventure story.

But it's the serene musings on nature that I find most extraordinary. The novel is not wholly comic, there is great profundity offered here also and that is what helps it beyond being just an amusing commentary on bumbling english folk, messing around on river banks.

In fact, riverbanks always reminds me of that other great English classic Kenneth Graheme's "The Wind In The Willows" with its lyrical passages that encapsulate a similar spirit. Toad, Ratty and Mole would not seem out of place in this world of idle romanticism and tomfoolery.

A perfect double bill then. Both books offer us a nature on a page and what a lot of pages there are to enjoy in these odes to Mother Earth.

5.0 out of 5 stars A bunch of boys getting drunk and getting up to pranks on the river, 11 Jan 2007
This is probably the funniest book I have ever read. Improbable really, considering it's a Victorian novel. Basically it's a bunch of boys getting drunk and getting up to pranks on the river.

Some of the things the characters think and talk about are absolutely outrageous. For example, they hate riverside landowners who put up signs to say that you are not allowed to go on certain parts of the river. One of them rants and raves about one of these signs to an extraordinary degree: he would like to tear it down and hammer it over the head of the person who put it up until he has killed him, then use the sign as a tombstone over the grave, then slaughter his whole family and all his friends and relations and, finally, burn down his house!

5.0 out of 5 stars 100 years young, 10 July 2012
This piece of literature was written over one hundred years ago...and it had me in fits of laughter. It was such an absolute joy to read, it turned my mundane robot like commute into my favourite part of the day. The way Jerome tells a story is timeless, hilarious and at times poetic. Its an amazing piece of escapism that transports you back in time and takes you along the beautiful (in most parts) stretch of the Thames with Jerome and his friends...not forgetting the dog!

It really does deserve its label as a classic if only because its stood the test of time and I honestly cannot see how it would fail to ignite the imaginations of everyone that reads it.

If I can offer any advise to those of you that have taken the time to read my review it would be this...buy the book, it WILL put a smile on your face and ignite your sparky grey matter.

5.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 30 May 2014
I had often meant to read this and never quite did but then it was our book group choice so I did! - Google Ashendon Book Group for our review if interested but in short we found it a really enjoyable, whimsical read.

5.0 out of 5 stars The jokes are as fresh as ever, 28 April 2014
A. C. Dickens (Bexhill-on-Sea England) - See all my reviews
Jerome's tale of a trip up the Thames in a boat with two friends and a dog has never been out of print and has been translated into many languages, and was even a school set text in Russia at one time.

It’s astonishing how the humour in this book stays fresh.Jerome’s main trick is to start to tell a story in a normal way, then start to exaggerate a little, then a lot, until the narrative becomes quite surreal - for example his account of trying to find the right train at Waterloo (a popular subject for nineteenth century humorists).

The book started off as a travelogue, but Jerome’s verbal meanderings occupy much more of the book than the descriptions of the places visited (apparently all the pubs still exist), and went down better with his public. I’ve heard some of his stories before, but maybe Jerome was the first to tell them. I’m giving him the benefit of the doubt.

Some of the author's purple prose is a bit much, and did we need to hear about the drowned woman? Otherwise, a terrific read.

5.0 out of 5 stars Definite Desert Island Choice, 23 Nov 2013
Great characters and story telling . The funniest scene I have ever read about his clumsy uncle . Has everything !

5.0 out of 5 stars A NINETEENTH CENTURY COLLECTIONS OF MR BEAN, 6 Nov 2012
I really enjoyed this book.I remember seeing the film some 50 years ago with Jimmy Edwards and David Tomlinson perhaps I was too young to really enjoy,but it stuck in my memory.I found the book very funny,and also included a travelogue of The River Thames from Kingston to Oxford. The book is short enough not to become much of the sameness in dialogue. It is hard to believe the author was born in Walsall,and not somewhere in the south east..
Enjoyable book well worth the read.

5.0 out of 5 stars You will never look at a tin of pineapple in the same way again, 11 April 2012
Not to mention the first line, which is the funniest line I have ever read (I won't spoil it for you). During Finals I actually photocopied some bits of the book and sent it to my friends to cheer them up. Highly recommended.

5.0 out of 5 stars An utter joy to read, 22 July 2014
Mr. M. Howorth "thatmatt" (london) - See all my reviews
I wasn't sure what to expect as I started this - I steer clear of reviews in case they have spoilers but I can honestly say that this book made me laugh more than any other I have ever read. In fact, there were tears when I read the part as they tried to open the tin of pineapple! Absolutely wonderful book.

Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics)
Three Men in a Boat: To Say Nothing of the Dog (Penguin Classics) by Jerome K. Jerome (Paperback - 25 Mar 2004)
5.24