5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant horror story - brilliant edition
Before reading this edition, I had only ever encountered this classic stroy through versions on film. Years ago I saw the version with Michael Caine, and because of this I brought a lot of preconceptions to my reading of the novel. Having read this edition now, I am glad that I bought one with such a good introduction to the tale. The introduction opened my eyes to...
Published on 4 Jan 2004 by Brida

3.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll and Hyde
see above....see above.... and again, and agaim.....and again...don't like being forced to say more than I want to... what a pain your system is.
Published 8 months ago by E. Boyle

4.0 out of 5 stars Everything as expected, 2 April 2014
This review is from: The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde and Other Tales of Terror (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
The book was already used but it was good quality. Everything as expected, with some notes on the pages but they were useful.

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing, 22 Nov 2013
Really really good book(s), and fantastic analysis at the start, great insight really helped regarding my dissertation! Would recommend to anybody!

5.0 out of 5 stars excelent!, 3 Sep 2013
Fantastic read, inexpensive, delivered quickly highly recommend for anyone, although the packaging seemed excessive and could easily had been reduced to a suitable size

5.0 out of 5 stars Remarkable, 29 Aug 2013
I'll admit it - I've deliberately avoided reading this book for years. I suppose it's entered folk-lore and spreads through thoughts and cultures still. It's revered by many and I was a little concerned that I'd be disappointed by the book. What a fool I've been.

When I was in the library a couple of weeks ago, it was there face out and calling to me. It seemed so slight and vulnerable among the weighty tomes that I just had to do it. Boy, am I glad I did.

Unfortunately, I forgot to write down my memorable quotes before returning it, but there's so much for you to find out about this one that my lack of input is hardly going to matter.

I was somewhat taken aback by the brilliance of this story.

First of all, there's the way the story is revealed in snapshots. The disquiet and the sinister aspects of the story bite straight away, but I was always hungry to unpeel another layer to get to the bottom of things, even with my prior knowledge of what I would eventually find (imagine reading a book like this with no sense of what it was about - how amazing that would have been).

The language is exquisite. A vocabulary that's at least a couple of pegs above my own is used to keep things tight and minimal. With very few words, Stevenson manages to offer a complete picture of a scene or an idea.

The characters are superb, from the upper strata of the social set to the butlers and servants of the world.

Extraneous story elements just don't exist. In one scene, the lawyer Utterson visits a doctor to find out information. The scene is set and time and place are perfectly fixed. In terms of the conversation, there's no fluff. All the preamble is missing and all that's offered is the meat that is necessary to feed the tale.

I'd love it if some of the craft and skill on show here were to seep into my words and wonder how much better I might be as a writer if I'd come to this a long time ago.

The book's brilliant. The horror and darkness are cold and clammy. The plight of Jekyll is terrible yet understandable (who wouldn't enjoy that liberation from the cerebral ways of the human for a while?) and absolutely tragic.

The only question I am left with related to the pronunciation of the author's name. A friend of mine tells me the middle name should be pronounce 'Lewis' and he generally knows. Maybe drop a comment if you concur.

All in all, it's a must read - don't hesitate and pop down to the library or load that kindle right away - either way, it's free.

5.0 out of 5 stars "If he be Mr. Hyde," he had thought, "I shall be Mr. Seek.", 6 July 2013
bernie "xyzzy" (Arlington, Texas) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
Atty. Mr. Utterson is worried, as the keeper of Dr Henry Jekyll's will. The will gives everything to Edward Hyde incase of Henry's death or disappearance. Mr. Utterson met the hideous Hyde once and does not trust him. Well it looks like Henry's will will have to be executed as the housekeeper; Mr. Pool thinks Hyde hid Henry's body.

Once again, I saw Spencer Tracy before I read the book, so I was anticipating a different type of story. I read "Treasure Island" so I am familiar with Stevenson's writing style but I did not realize that this story was more of a mystery that draws the conclusion and revelation in the end. The explanation of man and his duel personality is excellent and I suspect he draws on personal experience.

I also read the kindle version. It was sparse and strait forward; there was not a lot of fluff and speculation from other personalities. I made sure that the text-to speech was activated before purchasing. This helped but I had to keep reminding myself that the names were mispronounced.

Dr. Jekyll & Mr. Hyde Double Feature (1932/1941)

5.0 out of 5 stars A relevant classic, 27 Feb 2013
Mr. Timothy W. Dumble (Sunderland, England) - See all my reviews
Despite being something of a cultural cliché or linguinistic platitude, so well known are the eponymous alter egos of this renowned work, the written form still warrants the efforts of the modern reader.

Not least Stevenson has penned a taut and gothic horror story redolent of Stoker and Shelley, which locks the reader in a desperate life and death struggle. Set in London the tight, twisting cityscape of vennels and interconnected buildings, is nevertheless immediately suggestive of Old Town Edinburgh. Indeed Stevenson draws heavily upon his native city for inspiration, with the escapades and duality of Doctor Jekyll being clearly influenced by Burke and Hare and Deacon Brodie.

What defines this novella as such an important work - and so much more than a horror story - is the perceptive manner in which the author explores the dichotomy of good and bad which exists within the human psyche - thus reflecting developments in psychology such as the Id, Ego and role of the subconscious mind. It is a sobering experience to be both appalled by the violence of Hyde but also thrilled by the possibility of living two detached existences, one hedonistic and reckless and the other moral and conscientious.

The unsettling physical description of Hyde simultaneously alarms the reader but also reminds them of the Victorian obsession with physiognomy and phrenology. There is much of historical interest here but it is what it has to say about the human condition that renders this work relevant today.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde, 11 Sep 2012
Interesting book consisting of a few of Robert Louis Stevenson's tales. The 3 stories are very enjoyable, though The Body Snatcher(based on Burke and Hare) is rather short.

The diagnosing Jekyll was of great appeal. Having read the tale of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde readers can move on to history around his condition. This section also includes some writing on Jack the Ripper, whose murders occurred but a few years after the publication of Stevenson's tale.

A reader of this book should be equipped with a good vocabulary or a willing-fullness to spend some time in the dictionary whilst reading.

Overall a good read and good writer, whose works still live on today.

5.0 out of 5 stars Jekyll (it rhymes with 'treacle'), 1 April 2012
John Moseley (Portsmouth, UK) - See all my reviews
Of all the Victorian gothic and sensationalist horror narratives (Dracula, Frankenstein, The Hound of the Baskervilles, The Moonstone etc), The Strange Case of Dr Jekyll and Mr Hyde is perhaps the most unsettling. It is a genuinely frightening narrative, perhaps because, unlike its contemporaries, the subject of the horror is, and remains, very human. Dr Jekyll is ostensibly a very normal mid-Victorian gentleman scientist, with a commonplace interest in exploring the boundaries of consciousness and self. His experiments, however, lead him down an ungodly path from which he struggles to return. His alter-ego Mr Hyde is monstrous in every sense of the word. He is powerful, persuasive and without any moral sensibilities whatsoever. The narrator, Henry Jekyll, tells us some of the worst excesses of Hyde's malevolent nature, but hints at worse. Like Dracula, the `Strange Case' of Dr Jekyll is documented in a series of letters, diary entries and reports to create an unequivocal sense of truth for the fantastical tale therein. It all adds to the terror of the story.

One interesting fact about the narrative - almost everyone pronounces `Dr Jekyll' incorrectly. Robert Louis Stevenson chose the name `Jekyll' because he liked the way it rhymed with `treacle'.

4.0 out of 5 stars as expected a good gothic horror, 4 Nov 2011
tihs book delivers exactly what you expect - good for this time of year and those long winter nights. It is different to the commonly held tale of Dr Jekyll however is a good read and comes with 2 other gothic tales. Fans of this genre will like this book

5.0 out of 5 stars Chilling, 1 Aug 2010
Christian (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
The story has been plumbed both in adaptions as well as movies that are themed around the premise. That of a respectable doctor who has an alter ego. This book tells that tale in a dark and realistic way to the ultimate conclusion.

The other two tales are also welcome here. The Bodysnatcher with an unusual twist in it and the well written Olalla add weight to this short, classic tale.

3.99