5.0 out of 5 stars Her greatest work
Less well-known than "Emma", "Pride and Prejudice" or "Sense and Sensibility", this is an absolute gem of a novel, and my favourite of all of Jane Austen's works. It has all the flair and comic brio of her other, more celebrated work, but a sadness and delicacy of tone that elevates it to a different level. Anne is a magnificent character, with an intelligence steeped in...
Published on 27 May 2003 by Lovborg

2.0 out of 5 stars Certain passages are missing
Published on 26 Dec 2010 by Nebelfischer

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars a must for Austen fans, 16 Oct 2004
A. Allan "diver_dan87" (Newcastle, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Persuasion (Paperback)
I am currently reading this book and find it hard to put down. this is not Austen's best book, but it is witty, full of the twist which make Austen's book special. the story is about a woman called Anne Elliot, and although she is put down by the majority of her family there are one or two people who seem to be encaptured by her, a charming woman although a little niave in her past, is now confident in who she is and what she wants, making her very much before her time. making her one of Austen's more sutble heroines, though no less loveable.
As with all of Austen's books this is about love, society and doing the right thing.
a light hearted book, making you giggle at her wit, and making it more difficult for you to put down

5.0 out of 5 stars A perfect version of my favourite Jane Austen, 11 Mar 2010
SDR (Kent, UK) - See all my reviews
Like millions around the world, I love all of Austen's novels. I know Pride & Prejudice is the usual no.1, but Persuasion tops my list and has done so for over 30 years, since I first read it age 14. Persuasion has a sweetness, a poignancy and a wonderfully broad cast of characters. Austen's tender portrayal of a happy marriage (Admiral and Mrs Croft), her fun with the hilariously vain Sir Walter Eliot, the forgiveable, misguided maternal nature of Lady Russell's care of the heroine Anne, the cold scheming of Mr Eliot alongside his genuine love for Anne, and above all Anne herself, the neglected middle daughter expected to fall in with everyone's own selfish schemes, yet keeping her sense of humour and, with the odd struggle, her confidence in her own judgement... This is a book certainly written by a woman no longer in her first flush of youth, taking a shrewd look at family life as it really can be, and the dismal prospect of family servitude for a woman who didn't get married. Even the hero, Captain Wentworth is far more believable to me than other Austen heroes. He has a brightness, a zest for life - and a somewhat hasty temper which explains why he never came back to Anne - and also why they are so well suited. Juliet Stevenson is simply superb as the narrator. Her voices for each character are spot on. This is a book to be savoured and read again and again for its subtlety. But some of us have very busy lives, and having Persuasion read to me by a top actress means I can enjoy the book on long car journeys or even short ones, or after a hectic day when I want to wind down before going to sleep. This audio CD set is my top favourite (well, jointly with "Middlemarch"!).

4.0 out of 5 stars The evolution of Jane Austen's writing, 11 Nov 1999
By A Customer
This review is from: Persuasion (Paperback)
I enjoyed Persuasion very much and found it a fascinating demonstration of the changes not only in Jane Austen's writing but also in the England she is describing. First, much of the flush of romance which you find in Pride and Prejudice has evolved into wiser and more mature notions of marriage and companionship. The importance of the character of the 'narrator' (i.e. Jane Austen herself) is so important in all of her novels - and here we see that the narrator has changed and grown older and values different things life and in people. Second, the picture of the England Jane Austen is describing in Persuasion is so different from her earlier novels. Readers of Pride and Prejudice will remember that Mr. Darcy - the romantic hero - is a very wealthy landowner, who has inherited his beautiful estate from his father. Mr. Darcy has the freedom to live a life of considerable leisure and we have only a very general impression of some vague 'business' activities. Captain Wentworth is a very different hero - he has had to make his own way in the world and to prove himself by his own hard work in the Navy. Unlike Sir Walter Elliot, who has a title and inherited land and wealth to commend him, Captain Wentworth represents the 'new' England of entreprise and individual endeavour, where we value what he DOES, not just what he IS. And it is he who wins Anne's hand. I think this is a very significant sign of a nation in transition - the changing attitudes and expectations of early 19th century early-industrial England. A wonderful book and a wonderful counterpoint to Pride and Prejudice. I loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars The novel of maturity, 9 July 2014
This review is from: Persuasion (Kindle Edition)
That's how "Persuasion" is usually defined, which is one of two posthumous novels of Jane Austen. The environments and situations are always the usual ones, which are also found in the other five books, but the maturity factor (let's call it like that) makes it different from the other works of this great author.
First of all I must say that I've read the book while listening to the audiobook. It was an enjoyable and instructive experience, thanks to the skill of the reader (I've downloaded the audiobook from LibriVox.org). Listen to an audiobook in English with a text in front helps to better savour the words and improve your pronunciation.
Beyond that, I was greatly impressed by the novel where all the characters really are so well defined as to have the impression of having them before your eyes. The love story of the main character remains in the background for most of the book, while a series of events is shown, filtered by the impact that these have on Anne. Her character is a docile at first, but as the story takes hold one realizes how she has learned through experience, given by the maturity , to get by in the most diverse situations without doing harm to no one and without exposing herself too much to others.
The narrative is divided between long dialogues and long tales of past and present events. In some passages I admit that I would rather know the exact words of the characters, rather than the summary of the author, but she seems to want to focus only on certain aspects of the story.
In this sense, the end is almost precipitous, but the twist that precedes it is spectacular, especially if you consider that you know from the beginning that there can be only one conclusion. Nevertheless, I was open-mouthed in front of the manner in which the author has decided to play her cards and this is where you see the maturity of Austen, no longer a young girl, but a woman who looks at the world with eyes that are a little less carefree than ever before.

Rita Carla Francesca Monticelli, author of Red Desert - Point of No Return

5.0 out of 5 stars Solid Classic Literature, 13 July 2012
This review is from: Persuasion (Paperback)
I chose to take Persuasion as part of my holiday reading as its the only Jane Austen I haven't read. It slotted in nicely between Where the Bodies are Buried and The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo! Such an eclectic choice but I couldn't put it down! The pain she/he suffered at the initial parting to please her family, and years later, to the realisation that they were the only ones for each other and their lives could be fulfilled, is the best you can get!

5.0 out of 5 stars My favourite Austen, 10 April 2012
Stracs "Stracs" (Leeds, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
I suspect your favourite Austen depends to a significant degree what stage of your life you are at when you read it. For me, Persuasion is my favourite, and I no coincidence that I read it at the age of 30. I love Pride and Prejudice, but for me the youthful, vibrant young women on the brink of life no longer seem so relevant to my life. Anne Elliot, however, seems so much more real and relevent.

Anne is the most mature of Austen's heroines, one who is well set up in life (financially and socially) but thinks life has passed her by and she is destined for spinsterhood. And then we see Anne's safe, familiar world turned upside down when Captain Wentworth, a former suitor and the love of her life, returns on the scene. He has not come to rekindle the relationship. He is still badly emotionally bruised and resentful at how Anne rejected him at the instigation of her friend Lady Russell. Anne saw her error long ago and greatly regrets her actions, although she has come to accept them and feels she was justified in her actions. How these two navigate these complicated emotions when forced into each other's society is fascinating to read. Of course we know how the story will end but we still feel and can reognise Anne's anxiety along the way, and get caught up in wishing the couple would reunite.

Wentworth doesn't quite live up to Darcy in the romantic hero stakes - I still maintain my literary crush on Darcy - but he is still a very appealing character. The letter which he writes Anne declaring his feelings is one of the most powerful declarations of love in literature in my opinion. It actually made my heart beat a bit faster reading it - oh to be written a letter like that!!

Not a lot actually happens in terms of plot here, but the way Austen gradually unfolds the feelings of Anne and Wentworth is beautifully done and compelling as a result. The maturity of their relationship and actions is a new area for Austen, who has usually focussed on youthful, idealistic relationships. It is one that she adapts her style to very well - if only she had lived to write more works like this! There are many interesting themes in this book - class distinctions and their worth in judging the value of someone, when to take the advice of someone and when not to, how jealousy can play a part in fuman relationships, and the value of friendship over blood relations.

Despite being her last novel, and probably not refined and corrected as Austen would usually have done, it is still and accomplished and polished work. The stage Austen has reached in her life is a clear influence on the work, as the experience and knowledge of her later years shows. It depends on deeper things than her other works. While it does show flashes of Austen's renowned wit, it does not depend on it. Like Anne, it is deeper, stronger, sturdier. This is a calm, subtle work, more nuanced, perhaps more difficult but all the more worthwhile because of this.

5.0 out of 5 stars typos, 9 Mar 2014
This review is from: Persuasion (Kindle Edition)
This was so badly typed/transcribed that at times it was almost unreadable. It was obvious that nobody had proof-read it.

2.0 out of 5 stars Certain passages are missing, 26 Dec 2010
I bought this item as "unabridged", but I know the novel very well and am very sure that certain passages are missing. Unfortunately, some of these passages are great favourites of mine, so I was very disappointed on finding they were simply left out. For example, the highly entertaining passage relating Mary's complaints about "her mother-in-law's way with the children" and Mrs. Musgrove's complaints about "her daughter-in-law's way with the children" is left out - I can only wonder why exactly this very amusing chapter is missing. Another missing passage is the description of the Admiral's driving (when they take Anne home after her long walk with the Musgroves) - so better don't look forward to his wife's entertaining exclamations, there is no "My dear, we will certainly take that pole!"

However, the novel is read in a very good style - it is very easy to forget that only one voice is speaking.

5.0 out of 5 stars my second favourite austin so far., 16 Jun 2013
This review is from: Persuasion (Kindle Edition)
reasonable characters with a good story line - the typical incredible writing we've all grown to expect. definitely one i'll revisit.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not just boy meets girl, 29 April 2013
Square Peg (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
This Clothbound Classic is a delight to have and to hold and I will be adding to my collection in the future. As for the story - it's my favourite of the Austen's works and it never fails to draw me in, even though I know how it will end. A work of measured maturity and deep compassion and humanity.

‹ Previous | 1 2 328 | Next ›

Persuasion (Penguin Classics)
Persuasion (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen (Paperback - 9 Nov 2006)
3.99