5.0 out of 5 stars Austen's Norton
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

Norton Critical Editions are excellent publications and a wonderful series for any students, covering plays and novels. There is a typical format - text first, notes, etc afterwards.

Published on 30 Sep 2011 by RR Waller

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is the free version abridged? : (
Yes, I know this is free so you can't expect much from a free book but why can't we have the full text? This is my favourite classic and I was looking forward to reading the e-version but feel I have been cheated. One of my reasons for getting a Kindle was the promise of free classics and now I'm finding it be a promise with hidden terms and conditions.
I'm sure this...
Published on 26 Jun 2012 by Vixenfox

5.0 out of 5 stars Austen's Norton, 30 Sep 2011
RR Waller "ISeneca" (United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
SAFE READING - NO SPOILERS

After a brief editor's note, there is the text, over two-hundred pages. It is a story of Regency England but for details see other reviews.

The text is followed by detailed notes on Austen's and other backgrounds, Cultural and Historical Contexts, and a lengthy (two-hundred pages) critical section including a wide range of critics. It is "only" a paperback but it is well produced and solidly glued. For the serious student of Advanced Level or above, this is an essential for Jane Austen.

5.0 out of 5 stars P&P, 5 May 2007
Gemma Linden "Gemz" (belfast, northern ireland) - See all my reviews
Without a doubt the best book i have ever read. If you have seen the film starring keira knightley I personally feel it is a poor reflection of the book itself. The film seemed so serious all the way through when in actual fact the book is fun and makes you smile throughout. Do not let that film discourage you as the only good adaptation of it was the drama on bbc years ago. I recommend it to anyone as it is an excellent book that you will not want to put down as you will constantly wonder will they or won't they where Elizabeth and Mr Darcy are concerned. A very modern book for its time with Elizabeth a headstrong young woman who loves her family and thinks Mr Darcy is a snob and Mr Darcy who falls in love with Elizabeth but must banish her opinion of him. Deffinetly buy it you won't be disapointed.

2.0 out of 5 stars Why is the free version abridged? : (, 26 Jun 2012
I'm sure this version is great for someone who has not read the book but many of us have. I knew by the first page something was missing from this version. Just be careful which edition you download!

5.0 out of 5 stars Pride and Prejudice, 24 July 2011
I first bought this book in its Kindle version a week ago. To be honest, I wasn't really that keen on it. I was only persuaded to read it because I was new to the Kindle and didn't yet have a lot of books to read on it. I expected it to be tedious. I didn't find the title promising, for one thing. And for another, I had an not entirely unreasonable feeling that, since this is rather an old book, it would contain really hard language and strange words. I started off the first couple of chapters with an ill grace, but soon I was captivated by Jane Austen's excellently woven plot about family and relationships. I simply couldn't stop reading, and I was so absorbed in it that I lost track of the time. It is now my most favorite book, which is actually quite surprising because I had never imagined that anything could beat the Harry Potter novels. Also, the Kindle format is very good, with an active table of contents and everything.

The rough outline of the story is about high-ranking Mr. Darcy, who has a massive amount of wealth and middle-class Elizabeth Bennett, who has a determined prejudice against Mr. Darcy because of his pride. As the passion between them grows,it becomes more and more unlikely of their being united. I also really like the way it is all so realistic and makes you believe every word of the book. I won't go into the plot to spoil the surprise.

I've really enjoyed this book...more than anything that I have ever read before, and I hope you will read and enjoy it too. I really recommend this book to anyone over ten years of age. It is a great read... Unmissable!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Top of the class, 25 May 2004
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics) (Paperback)
I had the terrible misfortune to go to a school that insisted on making us read the most miserable old books for our English courses. For years afterwards I suffered under the assumption that anything labelled as a "classic" was certain to be grim and impenetrable, and I stuck to reading relatively modern novels.
I bless the day when I wrestled with my prejudice and picked up a friend's anthology of Austen's novels. I had heard plenty about Austen's "social observation" before. It's an unfortunate phrase, because it suggested to me that her writing would be interesting but a bit dry and academic. Not a bit of it.
All of the Austen novels I've read so far have been good, but Pride and Prejudice is head and shoulders above the rest and ranks as one of the most entertaining books I have ever read. The characters are fabulously drawn, from the odious Mr Collins and the vacuous Lydia to the blithe Mr Bingley and the truly heroic Lizzie Bennett. The book is wonderfully constructed, going through what seems to be fairly straightforward plot development before Mr Darcy's proposal puts the main protagonists through a second half full of suspense and heart-felt self-criticism. Austen's writing is clear, concise, full of acute observations and coloured with a wonderful sense of humour.
While the whole book is extremely satisfying, it is Lizzie who steals the show. Much has been made of Mr Darcy's sex appeal, but most red-blooded men would find hard to deny that Miss Bennett is a deeply fascinating and attractive woman. She is fabulous throughout, and the story is peppered with moments where she delivers some truly marvelous dialogue, not least her reaction to Mr Darcy's proposal and her interview with Lady Catherine (which almost had me cheering out loud on the train into work). Strong-willed, intelligent, good-looking and cool under pressure; what a woman.
A fabulous book. How I wish I had read it years ago.

4.0 out of 5 stars captivating, 23 Sep 2003
Mrs. W. Henry (UK) - See all my reviews
elizabeth Bennet is a wilful, head strong girl, and when she first meets Mr Darcy she thinks him to be an arrogant, conceited man who dislikes her as much as she does him. when she later discovers that darcy has involved himself in the love affair of her sister jane and mr bingley, and the awful treatment of her newly discovered friend mr wickham, she is determined to hate him even more.
the story that follows is a delightfully funny and well observed tale of the dating game. and Austen's wonderful way of writing characters and there behaviour is absolutely captivating, before you know it you're drawn in to the story, willing Mr darcy and lizzie to realise how they truly feel!
for a casual reader who has not got the time to listen to the entire thing, i would recommend this as it runs at a quite comfortable 5 3/4 hours on 6 CD's. Joanna David's lovely honey voice carries you through and it draws you in, her voicing of Mrs Bennet is especially good.
however i would not recommend this for students as the book is abridged on these CD's, though the editing is done skilfully and the story lines carried nicely through the bits that are left out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Everyone says it's timeless - but it really is!, 3 Dec 2007
This review is from: Pride and Prejudice (Paperback)
This was the first of Jane Austen's books I read and it remains my favourite. Pride and Prejudice is so well written, that a couple of hundred years down the line, it is still easy to understand and easy to relate to.

I love that each of the character's failings are brought out, it just makes them so very human! And yet despite being aware of Mr Darcy's pride and stiffness, Lydia's silliness, Mrs Bennett's complaints, etc, the reader is still drawn to them.

The dialogue, the description and the human touch throughout this lovely novel is what makes it timeless.

As an aside, this edition of the book is great as the author's original spelling has been left unchanged, and it's not full of appendixes and notes.

5.0 out of 5 stars Define classic, 15 Oct 2001
By A Customer
This book is irresistable. Darcy set the standard for the male love interest. Moody, passionate - you know he's proud, but you just can't help it. And Lizzie, in the context of the time and Jane Austen's class, she's a throughly modern girl. Intelligent, strong-willed and opinionated - you know she's going to get THE man.I've read this book countless times and enjoyed it on so many levels. Pure romance; social commentary on a certain section of society in C18th; satire of the manners of a certain section of society; and the whole "my word that Lizzie Bennett is a very HEALTHY" - nudge, nudge, wink, wink - "girl. Walking all that way here, with her rosy cheeks, eh!"

5.0 out of 5 stars The freshness and perfection of form are astonishing., 14 Mar 2002
John Austin "austinjr@bigpond.net.au" (Kangaroo Ground, Australia) - See all my reviews
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
It is almost 200 years since "Pride and Prejudice" was first published. It ought to be the equivalent in literature of those faded, dried flowers that used to be found pressed between the pages of the old family bible. Instead it is redolent of freshly cut flowers still carrying a sprinkling of morning dew.

The freshness and the perfection of form are certainly astonishing. Jane Austin is as good as story teller as ever picked up a pen, knowing exactly how to construct plots, and what incidents and dialogues to detail in full and what to briefly summarize. Her "world" is small but intricately constructed. Every characteristic, quality and idea has a precise and fixed value, all being ranked strictly and sternly according to decorum, logic and morality.
Despite its architectural perfection, however, a recent re-reading reveals one or two construction features that are questionable. How could it be, for example that Fitzwilliam Darcy could have such a dragon for an aunt? I also wonder about the friendship between Darcy and Bingley. How did it begin? It is obviously important to each, but we are given nothing of its history.
Jane Austen lived long enough to see this book published and enjoyed amongst her own family and a small readership. Her mother entertained family members with it, reading it, in Jane Austen's estimation, a little too quickly. Distinguished British actress Lindsay Duncan reads it with perfect timing and inflexion in this highly recommended audio tape format, which presents the novel in an unabridged version of just over twelve hours.

5.0 out of 5 stars Not stuffy - just witty!, 8 May 2000
By A Customer
As a thirty something, I decided to try and re-educate myself by reading a classic rather than contemporary fiction. After having seen the film of Sense & Sensibility, I realised that Jane Austen had a sense of humour, whereas I had always thought that these books would be boring. How wrong I was. Pride & Prejudice is brilliant. I found myself laughing out loud at times, something which I never expected to do. All I can say to others in my situation is don't be put off, give it a go. Don't try to understand every word Jane Austen writes, just pick up the general idea of what she is saying. I have now given this book to my mum (who is sixty something!) who has also never read any classics. I am sure she will like it.

Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics)
Pride and Prejudice (Penguin Classics) by Jane Austen (Paperback - 30 Jan 2003)