5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption 5 Stars
Published 11 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars Rather long-winded
I was reading this on Kindle. The plots had trundled along nicely after a great beginning and I looked forward to the conclusion - then noticed I'd only read 48%! There really isn't as much of a thrill if you're just waiting for the police to catch up with what you (mostly) already know. I've enjoyed the books but now wonder if the villains are too one dimensionally...
Published 1 month ago by L. M. Bailey

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption 5 Stars, 21 July 2013
I had read the two previous books in this series, Which I enjoyed immensely, and would recommend. The wait for this book was worth it. I have enjoyed every page, the characters are funny, serious and so very human. The story is intriguing and flows from the finding of a bottle. I will say no more than this about the story, I recommend that you read it, it's a real page turner. I am definitely a fan of Jussi Adler-Olsen. I am going to read the first two books again, but REDEMPTION is a winner

5.0 out of 5 stars SOS to the world..., 21 July 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
When a bottle is washed up on a beach in Scotland, it is found to contain a message, mostly obliterated by time and damp, but with the Danish word for 'Help' still clearly showing at the top. This might have been dismissed as a joke except that the bottle also contains traces of blood. The age of the message marks this as a cold case, so it falls to the head of Copenhagen's Department Q, Carl Mørck, and his team to investigate. Enough of the message can be deciphered to suggest that it relates to a kidnapping, perhaps worse. But the case isn't as cold as Carl thinks, as the kidnapper is just about to repeat his crime...

This was my first introduction to Jussi Adler-Olsen and I was very impressed. The story is told in the third person from a variety of viewpoints, and in the past tense. (Hurrah! Am I the only person who's tired of every second book being in the present tense these days?) The author manages to create a good mix of humour mixed in with some really nail-biting suspense. There are some great action scenes, fast-paced and tense, together with some slower but no less interesting passages where Adler-Olsen lets the reader see inside the heads of the main players. His characterisation is very strong, both of villain and victims, and some of the scenes are quite harrowing, though he steers clear of being too graphic for the most part. Contrasted with this is the humour around the odd mix of people who make up Carl's team and family. It took me a while to get tuned in to these characters and some of them are undoubtedly a bit too eccentric to be quite realistic. However as I got to know them better, they grew on me - particularly Carl's main sidekick, his Syrian assistant Assad, who provides much of the book's humour. Carl himself is of course a bit of a maverick with lots of problems, but he stops well short of the stereotypical angst-ridden drunk, thankfully, and I found him a very likeable lead character.

The translator Martin Aitken has done an excellent job. The gradual deciphering of the message is key to the plot while a lot of the humour is based around Assad's misuse and misunderstanding of words, but Aitken manages to navigate these issues seamlessly and for once the humour travels very well. In fact, had I not known it was a translation, I'm not sure I would have guessed, which is about the highest praise I can give.

I could criticise some small weaknesses in the book - coincidence comes into play occasionally, some aspects stretch credulity a bit, the ending is perhaps a shade clichéd. But overall I found the book very well written and strongly plotted, and heartily recommend it as both an interesting and enjoyable read that held my attention throughout. Although it works well as a standalone, I felt I would have gained from knowing the recurring characters' back-stories, and will now be adding the earlier books to the TBR pile.

(This book has been published in the US under the title 'A Conspiracy of Faith', which I must say I think is a much better title for it than 'Redemption'. Confusingly, it is available under both titles in the UK.)

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher.

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
This author is fantastic. Loved his first book in the Department Q series, second one not as good, but this one well up to standard. A gripping, hard-to-put-down thriller with plenty of gore!

4.0 out of 5 stars Redemption = A Conspiracy of Faith= Redemption, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
It's the same book....two titles. Working my way through all Jussi A-D's books which I find clever and witty. Exciting with out being so turgidly gruesome as some of the Scandi thrillers. And I find i've already ready the latest arrival. What a disappointment. Don't make the same mistake.Redemption (Department Q 3)A Conspiracy of Faith (Department Q Novels)

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption, 31 Aug 2013
J. G. Spry "Crispin" (Hornchurch, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed this Danish crime novel. I like the technique of disclosing a small part of each thread of this multi-layered story and moving on. It kept the suspense going to the end of the book. It pulls no punches in the description of events. Well worth buying.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the others, 26 Aug 2013
I have read all three in order and they have been really good. Olsen is a proper story teller and his characters are all misfits but together they are like a family. These books work for me on many levels and they all have a cliff hanger of an ending in true adventure story style. The books are really difficult to put down.

5.0 out of 5 stars Department Q3, 25 Aug 2013
I am looking forward to the next in series.
When reading you feel like you know all the main characters.
Feel sad when it's finished.
The combination of Carl and his assistant are totally different and work really well.

4.0 out of 5 stars Scandinoir with a comic twist, 23 Aug 2013
Extremely well written to give a gripping tale with some darkly humorous asides. Had me gripped from the start with some interesting character profiles. I'll now have to get Dept Q1 and 2!

4.0 out of 5 stars Continuing excellence, 19 Aug 2013
Great characters. Good solid plot and excellently written. A brilliant series of books. Bring on the next one Jussi I can't wait!

4.0 out of 5 stars an eye for the silver screen?, 17 Aug 2013
I decided to go for the third book in the 'Carl Mørck' series as my first 'taste' of Jussi Alder-Olsen. I have to say that I'm now hooked and have just 'kindled' books one and two. On checking Jussi's website, I see that that an interest in comics and cinematography are key parts of his history - it really shows in his writing. It is for this reason that I've rated the book as I have, rather than awarding a full 100% score - there are just a few too many light 'TV/film audience' moments thrown in to relieve the tension. But don't let this worry you as a potential reader, as you'll soon discover that a bit of light relief is just what's needed and, at the end of the day, it's probably best for the author to err on the side of caution just to be sure that the reader can sleep restfully after a chapter or two! (PS I read the final third of this book in one-sitting; I just had to know how the story ended! And then I didn't sleep well, even though I was exhausted!)

Redemption (Department Q 3)
Redemption (Department Q 3) by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Paperback - 18 July 2013)