5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption 5 Stars
Published 17 months ago by Amazon Customer

3.0 out of 5 stars OK,no more.
The first book, Mercy, was terrific,gruesome,bleak, and horribly funny in parts.The second book was not so good, but I had hoped this would return to form.Not so, for me.
Published 7 months ago by cocobrooke

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption 5 Stars, 21 July 2013
I had read the two previous books in this series, Which I enjoyed immensely, and would recommend. The wait for this book was worth it. I have enjoyed every page, the characters are funny, serious and so very human. The story is intriguing and flows from the finding of a bottle. I will say no more than this about the story, I recommend that you read it, it's a real page turner. I am definitely a fan of Jussi Adler-Olsen. I am going to read the first two books again, but REDEMPTION is a winner

5.0 out of 5 stars SOS to the world..., 21 July 2013
FictionFan (Kirkintilloch, Scotland) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
When a bottle is washed up on a beach in Scotland, it is found to contain a message, mostly obliterated by time and damp, but with the Danish word for 'Help' still clearly showing at the top. This might have been dismissed as a joke except that the bottle also contains traces of blood. The age of the message marks this as a cold case, so it falls to the head of Copenhagen's Department Q, Carl Mørck, and his team to investigate. Enough of the message can be deciphered to suggest that it relates to a kidnapping, perhaps worse. But the case isn't as cold as Carl thinks, as the kidnapper is just about to repeat his crime...

This was my first introduction to Jussi Adler-Olsen and I was very impressed. The story is told in the third person from a variety of viewpoints, and in the past tense. (Hurrah! Am I the only person who's tired of every second book being in the present tense these days?) The author manages to create a good mix of humour mixed in with some really nail-biting suspense. There are some great action scenes, fast-paced and tense, together with some slower but no less interesting passages where Adler-Olsen lets the reader see inside the heads of the main players. His characterisation is very strong, both of villain and victims, and some of the scenes are quite harrowing, though he steers clear of being too graphic for the most part. Contrasted with this is the humour around the odd mix of people who make up Carl's team and family. It took me a while to get tuned in to these characters and some of them are undoubtedly a bit too eccentric to be quite realistic. However as I got to know them better, they grew on me - particularly Carl's main sidekick, his Syrian assistant Assad, who provides much of the book's humour. Carl himself is of course a bit of a maverick with lots of problems, but he stops well short of the stereotypical angst-ridden drunk, thankfully, and I found him a very likeable lead character.

The translator Martin Aitken has done an excellent job. The gradual deciphering of the message is key to the plot while a lot of the humour is based around Assad's misuse and misunderstanding of words, but Aitken manages to navigate these issues seamlessly and for once the humour travels very well. In fact, had I not known it was a translation, I'm not sure I would have guessed, which is about the highest praise I can give.

I could criticise some small weaknesses in the book - coincidence comes into play occasionally, some aspects stretch credulity a bit, the ending is perhaps a shade clichéd. But overall I found the book very well written and strongly plotted, and heartily recommend it as both an interesting and enjoyable read that held my attention throughout. Although it works well as a standalone, I felt I would have gained from knowing the recurring characters' back-stories, and will now be adding the earlier books to the TBR pile.

(This book has been published in the US under the title 'A Conspiracy of Faith', which I must say I think is a much better title for it than 'Redemption'. Confusingly, it is available under both titles in the UK.)

NB This book was provided for review by the publisher.

3.0 out of 5 stars OK,no more., 23 May 2014
There is a lot going on,as in the first book it hops from one situation to another.It does start to come together half way through,but with a lack of tension.Even though the story lines are potentially horrific,there is little in the victims to make you care what happens.
Also,the Rose/Yrsa characters are not credible.Assad has also become a bit of a drag.It is however, interesting that the Danish Police allow civilian workers to do so much police work! Does this actually happen there, or is it another plot device stretched too far.
I probably wont read Q4

5.0 out of 5 stars Thriller, 15 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
This author is fantastic. Loved his first book in the Department Q series, second one not as good, but this one well up to standard. A gripping, hard-to-put-down thriller with plenty of gore!

4.0 out of 5 stars Redemption = A Conspiracy of Faith= Redemption, 7 Sep 2013
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
It's the same book....two titles. Working my way through all Jussi A-D's books which I find clever and witty. Exciting with out being so turgidly gruesome as some of the Scandi thrillers. And I find i've already ready the latest arrival. What a disappointment. Don't make the same mistake.Redemption (Department Q 3)A Conspiracy of Faith (Department Q Novels)

5.0 out of 5 stars Redemption, 31 Aug 2013
J. G. Spry "Crispin" (Hornchurch, Essex, England) - See all my reviews
Thoroughly enjoyed this Danish crime novel. I like the technique of disclosing a small part of each thread of this multi-layered story and moving on. It kept the suspense going to the end of the book. It pulls no punches in the description of events. Well worth buying.

3.0 out of 5 stars I'd recommend this book only for followers of the series - SPOLIER review by Maurice Schlegel, 30 Nov 2014
‘Mercy’ was a great read, I could hardly put it down and finished in record time for me! Perhaps there was a fault in the final overly neat denouement that one saw coming a mile off, but still very entertaining and our two leads (Carl and Merete) compelling with touches of honesty. ‘Disgrace’ was almost equally fast paced but let down by an exhaustive amount of 2-dimensional 'evil' characters. Now 'Redemption'...certainly the weakest so far.

The lead characters are refusing to develop emotionally in relationship to each other. Carl and Assad have been through horrific life changing events together in the previous books and yet the dull family secrets Assad keeps to himself can't be revealed, because they won't have an honest conversation? Don't believe it and it's less interesting.

For the majority of the investigation Carl doesn't feel particularly motivated and by the time he is makes repetitive (from previous books) inept decisions. For example, he rarely has his gun on him at crucial moments.

Finally we have the Rose & Yrsa debacle - hideous almost unforgivable choice. The reveal comes ages in and it’s painfully obvious - I kept hoping I was guessing incorrectly but alas no. Rose has always been a poorly written and frankly abused character. When she was introduced in 'Disgrace' it was of welcome interest to have a female perspective in that male dominated basement, but she's often humiliated by Carl and you sense the author (Adler-Olsen) has a lack of interest in her. Why have Rose around at all? Now this latest development is ridiculous and for the leads to not treat the condition with much serious concern is infuriating after you've endured many pages of the similar Yrsa caricature.

What I want from these novels is a sense of progression, the outside world affecting the inside of that frequently fascinating basement. Too often the author kills time with rather (by now) tired humour. I'd like to see Carl and Assad go out for a drink together after a hard day's work, something normal and yet revealing. Surely the reader should be rewarded with further development if you've continued on through the series?

Talking of progression, wouldn't it be nice not to have such a familiar climax? Why must every lead villain be terminated? How come little to no mention of previous cases arise? It would be great to see back Merete Lynggaard (the female lead from 'Mercy') - perhaps the most compelling female character from the whole series so far.

However, I still give this book 3 STARS and here's why... 'Redemption' on the whole still bares the mark of a page turner. I may have lost interest a few times but when the action and determination of characters is on I feel motivated to find out what happens next.

I also liked the way Adler-Olsen narrated chapters from our villain's childhood perspective followed sharply by a passage from his irredeemable adult self.

On reflection there are a couple of female characters that resonate; Isabelle's loneliness & yet fierce self-preservation and Rachel's quietly challenging perceptive suspicions were a welcome presence. Interesting to note that both these characters come in little contact with Carl.

I was disappointed not to have Hardy's journey move on more. The whole series is so out there logically you'd think perhaps the author would have allowed him to find some sanctuary whether it be physically or emotionally.

I'd like to have had more scenes with the new challenging Psychiatrist, although Carl's aggressive reaction to him felt like it betrayed his usual intelligence.

How about we move on a little in the fascinating original investigation - why was Carl spared in the shooting and not Anker or Hardy?

Must we always have a B investigation storyline? Who really cares about these arson attacks when we have two kidnapped children held up in a boathouse?

Finally, I don't understand Carl's slavery to his ex-wife? Yes he at last let rip in an outburst of anger but why would he agree to visit his ex Mother-in-law? Vigga is yet another painfully two dimensional female character that discredits our lead, how was he ever married to her? Adler-Olsen neglects to realise if you create paper thin female characters that are supposed to interact with our lead it let's down everything.

So, very much a mixed bag. Still a great series premise and an investigation you're fully behind resolving well. I'd recommend this book only for followers of the series. I'm going to take a break from it and if I return to Department Q I'll be hoping for a return to Mercy's standards

4.0 out of 5 stars Well Structured Plot, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
This is a detective story set within "Department Q" which seems to be a Cold Case department dealing with historical cases which were never solved. Carl Morck receives a letter which had been found in a bottle several years ago which was begging for help and written in blood.

This is the first book in this series that I have read. There are some indications within the story that make it apparent that events have occurred previously which the author expects the reader to have knowledge of. However, these are minor and side issues such as Carl's home life and previous cases rather than big issues affecting the main core plot. I didn't feel my enjoyment of the book was affacted by not having read the previous books in the series.

This is a good, solid detective book. The plot is good and hangs together well. There are a few small incidences of coincidence but nothing that is beyond the realms of belief. This is perfectly normal and acceptable in detective novels. Carl and his team are highly individual personalities. Rose, the administrator, and her "twin sister" were particularly interesting and I can see the author making more of this situation in future books. Assad is Carl's assistant and adds many lighter moments to the story with his mistakes in language use. These are all characters that I can see being developed in further books.

The book flows very well with a good variety of action, suspense and lighter moments. This is written in the third person and we follow the story from different people's points of view. This sometimes means that you take a couple of steps back on the timeline to see the same event from a different person's viewpoint. We see events from not just the police's point of view but also that of the killer and other lesser characters. This multi-layered approach adds great depth to the story.

The whole atmosphere of the book can be quite heavy. The plot line involves abuse and death of children which not all readers will be comfortable with.

I very much enjoyed this book. So much so, in fact, that I intend to go back and read the first book in this series and hopefully continue through to book four.

4.0 out of 5 stars Another Jussi read, 2 Aug 2014
OEJ - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
This review is from: Redemption (Department Q 3) (Paperback)
This is the third in the Danish crime fiction series built mainly upon the characters of Detective Inspector Carl Mørck and his Syrian assistant Assad, who work cold/unsolved cases. I read the first one (Mercy) which I thought was very good, somehow missed the second one (Disgrace) but snapped this one up when I was looking for something decent to read. It did not disappoint, even if it was a bit long at over 600 pages.

The translator has been changed, I notice, from Tiina Nunnally - who is American and female - to Martin Aitken, who is Danish and male. It's three years since I read Mercy but I think the translation plays a strong part in Redemption's appeal, because much of the humour and language is distinctly British in style and effect. The same attempt has been made by translators of Jo Nesbo's novels (mainly Don Bartlett I believe) and with less success. I think this is because Nesbo's front-man Harry Hole doesn't really suit this kind of humour whereas Carl Mørck does. Anyway hats off to Martin Aitken for doing a convincing job at entertaining a British reading audience.

If there's a flaw in Redemption, it's the contrasting styles of writing when the narrative switches from Carl Mørck to the un-named (or multi-named) bad guy. It almost feels as if there are two authors. When Carl Mørck is on the page, the writing is generally light in nature and, with able support from Assad, Yrsa and Rose, you're waiting for the next moment of humour, of which there is an abundance. Then the next chapter might switch to the killer/kidnapper, and it's a very different atmosphere indeed. I think this matters because the killer is highly organised, plans for every possible setback and plans everything in meticulous detail; this means that his nemesis - Carl Mørck - will need to be equally intelligent if not more so in order to catch him. The flaw, therefore, is that Carl Mørck comes over as being a bit grumpy, not a world away from being burned out and rarely if ever displaying any moments of investigative genius. In fact, many of the key breakthroughs in the investigation are made by his somewhat eccentric sidekick Assad and one or other of Yrsa or Rose (who are sisters). When I think of some of the leading law-enforcement characters in literary or TV crime fiction - such as the aforementioned Harry Hole, or Harry Bosch, or maybe those of years past such as Colombo or Poirot, it's not hard to see how they solve cases as they have that indefinable X-factor that gives you belief in them. Carl Mørck doesn't have that, and it's becoming clear that in many ways he depends on his motley crew of a back-up team who collectively come across as funny rather than ruthless cops. Still, it makes for good reading.

The character of the killer is well-drawn and most readers will have no difficulty in disliking him intensely - which matters, of course. The story is a little far-fetched though, not least the fact that Carl Mørck managed to track the killer down in the first place (depending heavily on the finding of a bottle in fishermen's nets off Scotland some years earlier) but it's best not to labour on those improbabilities and just enjoy the writing, which is easy on the eye and often answers any questions you might have yourself, or reminds you of details you had forgotten from hundreds of pages earlier.

You don't need to read the two previous novels in the series, although I do recommend Mercy. I liked Redemption, it won't win the Pulitzer Prize for fiction but it's a good read and well worth your time if crime fiction is your thing.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just as good as the others, 26 Aug 2013
I have read all three in order and they have been really good. Olsen is a proper story teller and his characters are all misfits but together they are like a family. These books work for me on many levels and they all have a cliff hanger of an ending in true adventure story style. The books are really difficult to put down.

Redemption (Department Q 3)
Redemption (Department Q 3) by Jussi Adler-Olsen (Paperback - 18 July 2013)