5.0 out of 5 stars A Season in Hell
This is an account of his time in Auschwitz by a man who in his former life had been a GP and also a specialist in forensic pathology. However, because of this expertise, Miklos Nyiszli, upon arrival at the death camp was chosen to help the infamous Dr Josef Mengele in his misbegotten biological `research'.

Nyiszli's medical background no doubt explains the...
Published 21 months ago by Tony Floyd

3.0 out of 5 stars 5* means "I love it" I didn't "love it" I recognised it's importance.
I can't give this book 5* because 5* means 'I love it' and I didn't 'love it' who could? I'd happily give 10* if Amazon had an appropriate rating system for this type of book. Shame on them.

Nyiszli was a forensic physician and, as such, was selected for work instead of immediate death. He worked as a doctor to the SS and had a role as pathologist examining the...
Published 20 months ago by JK

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

4.0 out of 5 stars We owe it to those who were sacrificed to read this, 2 Jan 2013
Harrowing, unimaginable and hard to understand. Small words for such a world changing atrocity. This should never be forgotten, in the past, present and future.

5.0 out of 5 stars Truthful harrowing story, 28 Nov 2012
BusyReader "mrs28" (Midlands UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account (Penguin Modern Classics) (Paperback)
I ordered this despite its description , and thinking it might be something that I'd rather not read, as I wanted to read further about the medical experimentation within the concentration camps, having had some idea of Dr Mengele's ' experiments' on twins and experiments about how the human body coped with hypothermia.
In actuality the book doesn't give much in depth information of what the experimentation entailed but gives more about how the prisoners were selected , and how they were exterminated . It also describes the Sonderkommando (SK) who were prisoners whose job it was to clear out the " shower rooms" and move the corpses of their countrymen , women and children into the incinerators. The SK were dispensable too and were exterminated after they had carried out their grisly job a certain number of times.
The author a Hungarian doctor who was a Pathologist before the war was given the job as Camp Pathologist and instructed by Dr Mengele to carry out autopsies , making methodical notes, and to give medical care to camp staff and SK. In return for this his relative 'safety' was assured along with perks of more food and some slight protection for his family who were interred in another part of the camp.
I have nothing but admiration for the author and his bravery and tenacity to survive such a place and such an experience . Once the camps were liberated a long match followed which he survived and which then meant that he lived to tell the tale , This is why this account gets a 5 star , not because I Love the book , because it is hard to read , but because these tales MUST be told and MUST be read , and this atrocity must never happen again.

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read book, 24 Nov 2012
Darren Watkins (Newcastle upon Tyne, UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This eyewitness account was first published in 1960 and contains a declaration from Dr Miklos Nyiszli - the eyewitness who was an involuntary worker at Auschwitz.

It takes you from his internment in 1944 to his release. It is a very difficult book to read. In the meaning that, although we know what went on at Auschwitz and other camps, having an eyewitness recount what actually happened can have a very disturbing effect. But I am so pleased I have read the book. I did have to stop many times as I couldn't read the book through the tears. It would just hit you that you weren't reading a story, it was real, it happened.

5.0 out of 5 stars A very special book, 26 Oct 2011
Dr. Kenneth Lancer (Radlett, Herts. UK) - See all my reviews
Following a visit to Auschwitz I was recommended to see "The Grey Zone" - a DVD/film detailing how the Sonderkommandos (work units forced to gas/incinerate,etc. bodies) lived and died. The film led me to Dr Miklos Nyiszli's book who worked under Dr Mengele. He miraculously survived to give an eye witness account of life in the concentration camp.
It is a heartrending, gripping, factual account which is a must for anyone wanting to learn more of the truth - but not for the squeamish. I cannot recommend this book enough - an essential read in an age when the younger generation doesn't know what humans are capable of - both evil and kindness.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the Best Eyewitness Accounts of the Holocaust, 24 May 2007
Mr. S. J. Dunn "lazarus_kr0w" (Leeds, United Kingdom) - See all my reviews
(this review written by Mrs. S J Dunn)

This book is very descriptive, in that Dr. Nyiszli spares no detail in what he has written within its pages. It has to be one of the greatest books on the Holocaust that I have yet read. I too, have been to Auschwitz and Birkenau, and seen all of the sites where these atrocities took place, as well as the physical evidence described in this book; and having read it in my hotel room in Poland on a night following a visit to Auschwitz and Birkenau during that day, this book provided a very surreal backdrop to my pilgrimage to the camps...I never put it down until I read it in its entirety. Anyone that has an interest in the Holocaust, this book is a MUST READ! Out of the more than 10 books I've read on the subject to date, this book ties with I ESCAPED FROM AUSCHWITZ by Rudolf Vrba for #1.

4.0 out of 5 stars true story, 13 Mar 2010
This review is from: Auschwitz (Paperback)
book was in good condition have read it before when i was at school (long time ago) hard to get hold of a decent copy a really good read

5.0 out of 5 stars A welltold story of sad horror, 12 May 2014
I hope that this book will serve as a deterrent when those in power consider war to be the only option or solution. The book hightlights the incredible inhumanity that a mindset or adopted view can have when common sense is not given a chance to prevail.

3.0 out of 5 stars It leaves the question - How?, 5 May 2014
Alan Wingrove (Hampshire, England) - See all my reviews
How can humans treat other humans this way? How can so many accept their fate? How can a doctor 'assist' in abuse of his profession.
However, because he did, it gives an insight into an area of Auschwitz that few saw and lived. This is a chilling book, if not for the way Dr. Nyiszli justifies his stance, then for the cold inhumanity that occurred.
The final 'how' is how have we accepted similar atrocities since, in various countries around the world?

5.0 out of 5 stars Shocking reading, 27 Mar 2014
Having just visited Auschwitz 1 and Auschwitz Birkenau I was compelled to read more about the atrocities that occurred there. I cannot begin to imagine what the Jewish people suffered. This gives an insight into how sadistic and barbaric the Nazis were. This time in history must never be allowed to be forgotten.

3.0 out of 5 stars Very Short, 28 Feb 2014
Ive read a few accounts of prisoners from Auschwitz, my favourite being 'Five Chimneys.' What I found most disappointing about this account is the authors lack of self analysis and reflection on some of his reactions to situations. There is one memory in the book *possible spoilers* where he revives a sonderkommando who tired to take his own life. I would have liked to understand his reasoning for this and other moments while he was there. I can never understand what it was like there and what those poor people were forced into, so I find their insights valuable. I also would have liked to hear more about his day to day life, hence my title of how short the book was. Although I understand that he wrote it some time after the event, so maybe he could only remember the most poignant. It is however one of the few insights into the lives of the sonderkommando, as not many survived, so is a valuable historical piece of literature and worth reading.

‹ Previous | 1 2 313 | Next ›

Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account (Penguin Modern Classics)
Auschwitz: A Doctor's Eyewitness Account (Penguin Modern Classics) by Miklos Nyiszli (Paperback - 25 Oct 2012)
6.99