on 24 March 2009
As with the Nick Denchfield version of the Nut Cracker, this book really captures the essence of the story. That said, the two books are polar opposite in their equally beautiful presentation.

Jan Pienkowski's Nut Cracker has the most wonderful silhouette illustrations. They are not black and white however, they are colourful and sparkly which adds depth and really brings out the Christmassy aspect of the story. The last montage gasp-out-loud stunning, with delicate cut out layered silouhettes. That said, this book is surprisingly sturdy and I have been happy to let my (nearly) 4 year old handle it.

The last point I would like to make about the fabulous book is that it tells the story in really good detail, so it really is more than a picture book.

Definitely something to add to your collection!
on 4 February 2009
This beautiful book will take you back to your childhood. This version of the story is a little darker than I remember. Perfect sized book for anyone postnatal to get through in one night (yes! You can say you have read a book again!). I bought it because I was interested in the illustrations. If you like illustrations, you will love the beautiful ones contained in this book based on the European tradition of cutwork. The detail is amazing, even on the frames for the text. Last page is perfect for drifting off to sleep to.
on 1 February 2009
The Nutcracker has been splendidly produced, as everything coming from the team Pienkowski and Walser.
It brings dream and romance back into a modern world, full of pain.
Such a book, an heirloom, no doubt, can help to overcome the gloom.
I only wished that the author's name E.T.A Hoffmann, had been more prominently displayed than just mentioned once.
on 15 January 2010
This is definitely a darker and less saccharine take on the perenially popular 'Nutcracker', for example the magician at the heart of the story, even in silhouette, takes on more a contemporary Goth look than the 19th Century look we are used to, and David Walser's text is devoid of some of the familiarly Christmassy elements known to us from the ballet. But the Pienkowski magic is definitely still here in the illustrations, in particular the 3-D closing page with paper cut-outs, including a soaring sleigh. This book - like his 'Christmas', 'Fairy Tales' and 'A Thousand Nights and One Night' books - is destined to be cherished and handed on to someone special.
on 7 September 2013
This book is so beautiful, it will be brought out Christmas after Christmas. A real classic - perfect styling and clear crisp pictures. Love it!
on 20 January 2016
Jan Pienkowski has produced some brilliant, classic silhouette work picture story books for Easter and Christmas. I was hoping this would be in a similar vein - the promo pic looked like there would be plenty of intricate paperwork pictures but there really is only one feature piece, the rest just 2D stuff. Still a decent present for my niece, but not got the Wow! factor I had hoped for based on Pienkowski's Christmas/Easter books.
on 19 January 2010
Both my 6 and 3 year old are in awe of this book! The vocabulary is maybe a little complex at times but I change the odd word and they enjoy it just the same. The images are superb, (though the 3-year old does get a little bored during the pages where there are no pictures) and the overall feel of the book imposes them to treat it with great care. I hesitated before buying but I have not regretted it!
on 17 December 2012
I received today what I can only describe as the most beautiful book I have ever owned. This item is so beautifully made, the silhouette, glitter embossed illustrations are magical and the 3D final page is just stunning. This is an absolute must for any Jan Pienkowski collector. This will be something I cherish for years!
on 27 January 2014
...and much admired by my daughter's friends. Parts of the book are very delicate, but my daughter has treated it with care. The story, and illustrations, are beautiful!
on 14 April 2013
I bought this for a christmas present so the recipient hasn't seen it yet but I know she will be thrilled.