Format: Board book|Change

on 28 January 2001
An excellent Hairy Maclary tale. Children love the chasing of the cats and the rythmic style makes for easy reading. The joke at the end is not lost on even the youngest of children. Tom and Jerry in prose!
on 4 June 2007
Jude is 13 months old and this is his favourite book. He mightn't understand the words, but he knows the story -- and the credit for that goes to Lynley Dodd. Everything about this book is right: the rhythms and rhymes are beguiling; the pictures and words complement each other perfectly; there is plenty to point at and to laugh at; even parents with minimal acting skills will find it easy to dramatize. Above all, the pacing is perfect. Jude can't talk, but when we get to the crucial page, he turns around and looks me in the eye and says ... well, something. Something that tells me he knows what's going on.

Don't hesitate to pick up any of Lynley Dodd's delightful books; just be prepared to read them out loud two, three or four times in a row. At least you probably won't have to fetch them yourself: a simple "Where's Hairy McLary?" gets Jude scampering to the cupboard.
on 22 December 2009
Once again Lynley Dodd has penned a winner. This time she introduces the cats in the neighbourhood, as Hairy Maclary, in a mad mood, chases them, much to their annoyance. However, he gets his comeuppance when he tries to chase an old antagonist! Read and Enjoy!
on 21 August 2008
this book has a great repetition that littluns love. each page has a cat being chased by Hairy Mclary, with the repeated phrase 'But along came Hairy Mclary ...' on each page and my little boy loves saying this with me!

the text rhymes beautifully, the pictures are beautiful and Hairy Mclary gets his comeuppance (in a funny way) at the end.

i bought this as part of a set of 5 but this is the one my little boy wants read most, tho all of them are well-read (and not in the usual tedious vein that the majority of stories for under 5s seem to fall into).

If you and your offspring enjoy the Julia Donaldson books you'll love these too.
on 14 February 2016
We love all of the Hairy Maclary series! He is such a lovable dog and our children really enjoy seeing his adventures unfold. He has so many different friends and it is nice to see them repeated throughout the series, with the same characters in the different books.

The Hairy Maclary stories all have lovely rhyming verses and gorgeous pictures. This particular book is a board book so great for little hands and not so likely to get damaged. We are now reading this book with our second child. His big sister still loves the stories and sometimes reads them to her little brother.

This isn't my favourite of the series but we still love it!
on 23 March 2016
This one is right up there with Hairy Maclary from Donaldson's Dairyand was one of the most demanded stories of our collection. In this tale, "Hairy Maclary/felt bumptious and bustly/bossy and bouncy/and frisky and hustly" Uh-oh! Watch out cats. Don't worry, not everyone is going to put up with the scruffy little dog's behaviour. Smashing book which always caused squeals of delight. Thoroughly recommended for children aged 2 to 5 who love cats and dogs.
on 21 April 2015
These are fantastic books which are a treat to read to young children . My first grandson loves Hairy Maclarey and all his friends and identifies the characters when asked where individuals are. Hairy Maclarey from Donaldson's Dairy was the first book he actively participated with by pointing to characters when their names are mentioned. Fantastic characters lovely flowing story in rhyme which is a treat to read .. Lynley Dodd is a fantastic children's author.
on 20 December 2011
I gave this to my son for his third birthday, only a week ago and it is now one of his favourite books, he is already finishing the sentences for me when I read it to him. He is forever asking us to read "Hairy 'Cairy" and luckily it doesn't get boring for the adult who has to read it 10 times a day. I've just added some more titles from the series to his wish list.
on 4 April 2016
My granddaughter loves these books being read to her before bed and she can turn the pages of the board books. The only request I have is can we have a greater range of board books by this author please in the UK. I've had to ship a couple in from Australia!
on 26 February 2013
Seemed poorly written. Verses dont rhyme like in the other books (particularly not if you are scottish) and the story wasnt nearly as good. My baby hasnt noticed of course but once she gets older i dont think she will like it as much either.x
22 comments|Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse