5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, but for older kids

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreary, draggy and dull readings of dynamite Dahl poems
Published 8 months ago by Yi-Peng

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous, but for older kids, 22 Oct 2013
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts (Dahl Audio) (Audio CD)
I bought this for my kids to listen to in the car, as we have many audio cds for this purpose already, and many of them from Roald Dahl who is a firm favourite. However, my bi-lingual. kids of 3 and 6 are simply too young, or better their English knowledge is not yet up to appreciating the delicious black humour of the stories. I, on the other hand, adore them and chuckle away every time we have them on... A great buy for a grown up, but really for 7/8 up in my opinion for kids.

5.0 out of 5 stars great talking book, 14 Mar 2014
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts (Dahl Audio) (Audio CD)
I read this as a child and loved it - we love listening to talking books on long car journeys - whole family enjoy these short stories

3.0 out of 5 stars Dreary, draggy and dull readings of dynamite Dahl poems, 8 Dec 2013
Yi-Peng (Singapore) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
This review is from: Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts (Dahl Audio) (Audio CD)
I bought a copy of this CD audiobook reading of these two hilarious Dahl poetry collections to see how the latest crop of Penguin Dahl readings measure up the tapes I had. Though there are some excellent readings such as Kate Winslet's absolutely divine and angelic version of Matilda, this disc of Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts is not one of the better ones in the 2013 batch of recordings. The readings tend to be dull and are taken at a dreary and dragging pace. A number of the readings sound apathetic and not really engaged.

When listening to this disc of readings I tend to be bothered by the slow pace of the readers. They lack the crisp, sparkling and rauccous immediacy of past audiobook readings of these verses. The delivery of these poems is largely deadpan, and nobody relishes the humour and the funny sides of the poems.

Tamsin Greig struggles in her readings. She tries her best but sounds too delicate when reading her allotted selection of poems. She tends to be a bit too soft and lacking in presence and projection. For instance, it would have helped if she had adopted a raucous gangster-style voice for the Wolf's lines in the Red Riding Hood and Three Little Pigs poems.

Stephen Mangan is probably the best reader of the three. He tries to be expressive and his pace is brisker compared to Greig and Margolyes. He does his best at attempting funny voices and relishing the funny side of the poems.

Margolyes is just fine in her readings.

I'm not saying that the readers need to be excessively flamboyant in this material. I'm saying that they need to relish Dahl's irreverent, wicked yet quirky humour when they read his books for recordings. Unfortunately this new recording of Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts does not quite deliver and catch the Dahl spirit nicely. So in my mind it can't displace the out-of-print Prunella Scales/Timothy West readings of the 1980s.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun, 15 Aug 2014
Great fun

Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts (Dahl Audio)
Revolting Rhymes and Dirty Beasts (Dahl Audio) by Roald Dahl (Audio CD - 25 July 2013)
6.99