5.0 out of 5 stars Lightning DOES strike twice
Rick Riordan comes through again, and this follow up to The Lightning Thief is just as entertaining, informative and action-packed as the first book. This time Percy (son of Poseidon) is at school in New York when things start to go downhill fast, beginning with some bad dreams about his friend Grover the satyr, followed by an attack by cannibalistic dodge ball...
Published on 4 July 2006 by Amanda Richards

3.0 out of 5 stars Looks like the Gods have abandoned Rick this time around.
I read this a while ago and have the third but barely touched it, Lightning thief was a great start, although i understand why this book may be a stand out for some, what i most adorned about percy jackson was the mythos, which sadly was too distant in the sea of monsters, it didn't have that twist of which creepy greek ghoul would lie around the corner nor did it present...
Published 21 months ago by Manny.S

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars A read that anyone and everyone will love, 14 Nov 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Paperback)
Sea of Monsters (just like the first book) is the combination of everything I look for in a young adult fantasy novel with action, adventure, mythology and even an impending romance that I can’t wait to see develop.

Riordan also introduces some morals into his writing that I hadn’t picked up on when I first read the series, and it definitely added to the plot since it didn’t take away from any of the adventure/action scenes. I have always loved the way he can write these dramatic scenes without being repetitive in the fighting techniques and a lot of up-and-coming authors, even published ones could take a leaf out of his book for sure.

The plot has definitely thickened too, and there was a much more mysterious tone to the writing because of everything going on and things left unsaid. However Percy remained his hilarious self which I loved seeing, especially when it rubbed Clarise, even Annabeth up the wrong way resulting in some great scenes. We also see the introduction of Tyson, who even though is a Cyclops has such a sweet and vulnerable nature that you can’t help but love him as time goes on.

The relationships they all have combined with the heroic adventure in this book results in a read that anyone and everyone will love. If you haven’t started this series yet… well you should!

Posted on: http://enchantedbyya.blogspot.co.uk/

5.0 out of 5 stars AHHH TO GOOD, 27 May 2014
Just I can't put into words how good that was the reason why I am just saying good is because I just can't think of a more enthusiastic word that will describe the passion I have for this book my best character is Tyson because the things he says are so cute and I like learning about his tragic past and I am really looking forward to learn aboutThalia's character if she is nice or mean and I am jus so thankful this book was written bye I am off to read the next one!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Amazing read- adventures, mythology and brilliance!, 18 April 2014
Susan Mckeever "loves books" (Cumbria, England) - See all my reviews
I love Rick Riordan's writing! With the the adventure he encorporated into this book; the modern flavours he adds to mythology and the amazing plot twists, it's impossible not to love his characters and his stories! I'm sure he put tons of research and work into this book, however the one thing that bugged me was that it was Phrixos and Helle who flew on the Golden Fleeced ram, not Cadmus and Europa. That didn't stop my addiction to this brilliant series. 100/10 ;-)

5.0 out of 5 stars it's brilliant!, 4 Jun 2014
When I read the first Percy Jackson book I was transfixed. I was lucky that I had read Kate O'Hearn's Pegasus series or I would have not understood any of it! So when I read the second one I was expecting something more... godish but it was much more different. I finished it in one week which is unusual for me. This is a great book for kids interested in Greek myths so don't forget to look it up!

5.0 out of 5 stars I love these books, 28 July 2014
This review is from: Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters (Paperback)
I love these books, as a 22 year old single working mum there is nothing better than putting your child to bed, cleaning then relaxing with a good fantasy book. I read all 5 in this series within 6 days (dinner breaks inc) i really didn't want to put them down or to finish. Just ordered the Heroes of Olympus books and i hope they are as good if not better than these. 5 stars!

4.0 out of 5 stars An excellent adventure/action story, 14 Mar 2014
Mr. Mice Guy (London, England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
This is an excellent action/adventure story, with very good artwork, which, while being a bit more ’European’ in style of than is usual nowadays for children’s books, is an excellent choice for such a high-profile book, as it deserves to be illustrated in a grander style.

I have not read the original novel (or seen the film), but this is in its own right an excellent adventure story, with a clear flow of the story from scene to scene, as Percy and friends (along with an un-friend) set out on a quest for the Golden Fleece. They encounter a number of characters (both old and new) and situations from the Greek myths as they progress; with plot-elements from the previous novel coming in to play, and revelations that will affect future stories discovered. I enjoyed it as a stand-alone story, while appreciating the continuity with other stories in the sequence.

4.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining book, 5 Nov 2010
Entertaining book. Has a handy guide to some of the main gods at the back, including pronunciations.

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply Stunning And Plot Twisting To The Very Last Page...Literally, 29 Jun 2006
I read this book today and i have to say it is brilliant. It takes place a school year after the events of The Lightening Thief and it's just as good if not better.

Percy has had a very uneventful school year with not one moster attacking him which has made him very on edge. He's made one friend(who happens to be homeless, poor and not to mention slow) and he's having strange dreams of Grover who seems to be in trouble. When monsters finally attack durring his dodgeball game and Annabeth turns up to help scratched and looking rather worse for wear Percy realises something's very wrong. They arrive back at half blood hill to a terrible sight; Thalia's pine tree has been poisoned and the border between Half Blood Hill and the mortal world is failing. What does this mean for Percy and the rest of the half bloods? A whole lot of trouble and the realisation that in their world nothing is as it seems and whatever Kronos's plans are he is just about ready to put them into action which will spell the end for half blood hill and the rest of the world too.

This book really concentrates hard on the prophecy that both Annabeth and Chiron know about and Rick pulls so many unexpected twists your head is left spinning in the best possible way. With new and old foes, with action and adventure and with the last twist on the book on the last page you are left wondering what the fates and the future have in store for our demi-god Percy Jackson.

All in all a fantastic book and i cannot wait for the next one which is due out early 2007, everyone who loves to read should definitly check this one out.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fun way to tap into myths, 16 Mar 2010
A. Woodfin (Edinburgh, Scotland) - See all my reviews
Once again the Bermuda Triangle is explained! :-)

Rick Riordan knows this world; there is a back story for his characters, like Harry Potter it informs the plot. Unlike Harry Potter the main story rides the world lightly; not as detailed so the plot rips on faster, not as intricate or laden as good Potter, but just as fun to read. The plot has good twisty bits,not quite predictable so I, as an adult, can appreciate reading it with my sons. (though, to be honest, I read this series on my own more often than not, sweets/candy to a strory
radner)
I like how 'real world' is worked in to the tales, a bit less muggle vs magic and more like how ordinary life collides or merges. Percy's long suffering Mum, Satyrs teaching in school, Centaurs hanging in a trailer park.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant read, 30 May 2014
After reading many good books by Rick Riordan I have begun to read this series again and again am amazed by how good the atmosphere has been created and suggest anyone who comes across it should buy it straight away it's fantastic

‹ Previous | 1 2 324 | Next ›

Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters
Percy Jackson and the Sea of Monsters by Rick Riordan (Paperback - 4 July 2013)