5.0 out of 5 stars This book was brilliant!
Published on 12 July 2001

3.0 out of 5 stars It was good but
"...not as good as Charlie and the Chocolate factory" said my 2 year old daughter, Ava. Well worth a read.
Published 2 months ago by Daniel Gibbons

5.0 out of 5 stars This book was brilliant!, 12 July 2001
By A Customer
This amazingly,funny book put together with Quentin Blake's Hilarious illustrations is the most imganitive book ever!In first person,the girl of all magic and power,has a finger.Well of course she has a finger but not an ordinary finger,a finger of magic.She,the girl,turned poor Mrs Winter into a hairy pussy cat! But before long something dreadful happened she turned the Greg family into a family of... Well don't be so upset,you can read it yourself you know!

5.0 out of 5 stars The Magic Finger, 2 Feb 2010
Once again a fabulous story from Roald Dahl. Both my children , 4 and 2 1/2 love this story . Really great and exciting read for adults and children alike.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charming!, 13 Sep 2010
Jo (London, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Hardcover)
It's Roald Dahl Day today, and though I don't normally review children's books, I thought I would celebrate the writings of such a brilliant author by reviewing one of his books I loved as a child.

I was never much of a reader when I was a child. I didn't like it, I found it boring. I only discovered my love for reading as a teen, but as you all know, reading is required while at school. So I read whatever I was given to read grudgingly - that is until I discovered Fantastic Mr Fox and The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl. Those two books I could read over and over. I remember I even spent some of my free class play time listening to the audio book of The Magic Finger on the casette player. There was something just so wonderful about this story that kept me coming back again and again.

Now I've read it again as an adult, and the story of a family of hunters who grow wings after the little girl puts her magic finger upon them is just charming. It would be exciting and funny for the children, and the adults will enjoy seeing their children react to it. It's just such a great story!

I think it's brilliant how it's written. Right from the first page you can tell how brilliant Roald Dahl is at getting into a child's head; we find out the narrator is a girl, and the things she thinks are imporant for the reader to know; who her friends are, that they are boys and how old they are. A typical child introduction that is just perfect. What I also think is interesting is that we're never given the narrator's name. She's telling the story about what happened to the Gregg family, and though she played a part in it, it's not her story.

The language is simple enough for a child to understand, but yet still written in a way an adult can enjoy when reading with/to a child. It is also brilliantly written for an adult to read outloud to a child; use of italics and exclaimation marks making it clear when the adult should be using a humourous tone.

And as always, the book is fantastically illustrated by Quentin Blake. Dahl's books would not be the same without Blake's illustrations. Simple but just brilliant, they are the icing on the cake of The Magic Finger; the girl and her magic finger, the Greggs with wings, and the ducks with arms, acting like humans; cooking, playing, on the phone. As an adult, I love them, but a child would find them so funny! Of course, The Magic Finger would be great anyway, but Blake's illustrations make them the full package.

This edition of the book hs a lot of goodies in the last pages, including quotes from Dahl, his favourite things, a timeline of important events in his life, and more! It's really quite interesting!

I will leave you with a quote that made me giggle.

"'I will not eat worms,' said Philip. 'I would rather die.'
'Or slugs,' said William.
Mrs Gregg took the two boys under her wings and hugged them. 'Don't worry,' she said. 'I can mince it all up very fine and you won't even know the difference. Lovely slugburgers. Delicious wormburgers.'" (p32)

Who won't laugh at that?

4.0 out of 5 stars Unbelievable and shocking, 29 Sep 2010
A Kid's Review
This is what class Green 2 have to say about the book:

Mateusz: Amazing story which you can read to your parents at their bedtime!
Kion: This book is great. It's so extraordinary it's unbelievable.
Zahiya: My favourite part is when the teacher got some whiskers.
Aliyah: I wish I had a goldfish.
Aliyah again, actually a different Aliyah, the one that wears glasses: I like it when erm the girl put the finger on Mrs Winter.
Nisha: very shy but lovely girl; she's having a think about it!
Hanzalah: You know when the Miss Winter had whiskers and a bushy tail.
Summer: I wish it was: I wish had a bushy tail.
Miss Horsefall: A wonderful read for both old and young! Woohoo, that's a posh sentence!
Mrs Khela: I am sure once you have read this, you will want a magic finger of your very own; unfortunately not sold by Amazon, otherwise I would be first in the queue to buy it.

5.0 out of 5 stars What cam you say??, 21 Nov 2013
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Paperback)
I have bought this book to put in my granddaughters Christmas stocking- she will just love it - as her father and uncles did before her!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Roald Dahl Magic, 2 Feb 2009
M. Mitchell - See all my reviews
It's lovely to hear this brilliant story actually read by Roald Dahl. My 7 year old son loves it. We have the book too and my son has been encouraged to read the book by listening to the story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good read, 14 Feb 2010
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Paperback)
My 7yr old son loved this funny book. Only a short book so we read it in 2 nights before bedtime. Great story and a good introduction to Roald Dahl.

5.0 out of 5 stars great buy, 30 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Paperback)
Great book for my 7 year old. The humour kept him interested in the story. Would definitely recommend. Especially if your child is reading Roald Dahl books in school.

5.0 out of 5 stars Good choice, 2 Mar 2014
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Paperback)
This book is also for my cousin's stepdaughter, she is very girly and loves it keeps hoping her finger will become magical.

4.0 out of 5 stars The magic finger by roald dahl, 28 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Magic Finger (Kindle Edition)
I really like this book because it is existing
You can let your mind run free because of the book

ARRAY(0xad0de384)

The Magic Finger
The Magic Finger by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 7 Feb 2013)
4.49