5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate heaven
My 2 boys, aged 5 and 6, loved listening to this and it kept them very quiet in the car for longer than expected. They have listened to it again and again since they got it and don't seem to be bored yet!
Published on 19 Sep 2009 by Mrs. H. Evans

2.0 out of 5 stars Kindle version flawed
This is a fabulous novel and my son and I both enjoyed it immensely.... but someone has done a very poor job of translating it to Kindle and replaced all instances of 'body' with 'BodyTextCenterLineSpace'.

Not very classy, oh publisher! You didn't bother to proof-read it before sending it to the world and yet you are happy to charge us full price for it...
Published 19 months ago by C. Harding

5.0 out of 5 stars chocolate heaven, 19 Sep 2009
Mrs. H. Evans - See all my reviews

5.0 out of 5 stars Aspen class review of Charlie and the Chocolate Factory, 9 Oct 2010
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory is a book written by the famous author, Roald Dahl. It is illustrated by Quentin Blake and published by Puffin Books. We read part of the book in our literacy lessons as part of our work on Authors and Letters, and wanted to share our ideas!

The story follows Charlie Bucket. He wins a Golden Ticket which allows him to go into the famous chocolate factory of Willy Wonka. Lots of adventures happen inside the factory, and there are some astonishing descriptions of the sweets and children in the factory.

The main character is Charlie Bucket. He is our favourite character because he is very polite, kind, cheerful, patient, enthusiastic and he is not too young but not too old either. The magical Willy Wonka is another character, and he owns the biggest chocolate factory in the world. Grandpa Joe is Charlie's grandpa, and he is ninety six and a half years old!

We love all the parts of the story that describe the delicious, creamy chocolate of course! The explosive plot is also very exciting. Our favourite parts are when Mike Teavee gets sent across the room through a television, when Grandpa Joe does a victory dance after Charlie finds a Golden Ticket, when Augustus Gloop goes up the chocolate pipe, when Willy Wonka takes the children to see the squirrels, and when Violet Beauregarde is turned into a blueberry. We also love the Oompa Loompas because they are as small as your knee and they sing lots of funny songs.

We think that Roald Dahl's story teaches you not to be greedy, and that everyone can enjoy life and be happy.

We would highly recommend this outstanding book for children like us, between the ages of six and twelve.

5.0 out of 5 stars Cross Generational Delight, 4 Nov 2009
When I was a boy ... no really ... I used to love hanging around in the school library and the book I used to most want to read, one of the few to really capture my imagination (we're talking mid seventies) was Charlie and the Chocolate Factory. Very, very fond memories. What a delight then to have sent it (by the magic of Amazon) across the Atlantic to my 6 year old nephew and to hear he just loves it and wants it to have it read over and over.

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best books ever written, 20 Jan 2003
Roald Dahl's darkly sarcastic but never patronising style has made his books hugely popular with children all over the world. This is my favourite book of his by a long way. His books give children exactly what they want to read with a child's-eye view and not an adult's perception of what children should like which makes so many children's books disappointing to read. They are also hugely funny with great characters showing just how absurd grown ups are and how unfair the adult world can be. I've never met anyone who didn't like Roald Dahl's childrens books when they were a child.
I first read this book in hospital as a child and it has been with me ever since. I do truly believe it is one of the top five best books ever written. It has a great story, great characters and it's a great exciting and funny read. I would recommend it to anyone of any age, from young children having it read to them to older children reading theirselves or even adults so that they never forget what it's like to be a child.
Some people have even considered this book to have religious symbolism with it's themes of tempation and sin. I'm not sure about that, and I'm not going to go into it here, but it shows the levels this book could be read at if you felt the need to overanalyse it.
A great, hugely funny & gripping book I would highly recommend to anyone who hasn't read it yet. I challenge anyone not to enjoy this book. Even the stuffiest and most boring adult will find something to appreciate here and all children will be simply delighted with it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant!, 20 Jan 2013
I downloaded this kindle version for my 8 year old daughter's tablet recently, as she enjoys reading and loved the film.

She loves it and was engrossed whilst reading. She especially loved the illustrations and whilst scrolling through, I didn't notice any obvious spelling or grammer errors.

It would be worth noting that as these books and books by this author are geared towards children, the publishers should take this into account when setting the kindle price! This kindle version was quite expensive, more so than the books I download for myself. To encourage young children to want to read, the price should be more reasonable.

5.0 out of 5 stars Charlie, 9 Sep 2010
Mrs. Marion Peart "Marion" (Cumbria UK) - See all my reviews
Wonderful book - loved by our grandchildren - aged 4 and 6.
Illustrations make it much more acceptable for younger children.

5.0 out of 5 stars Superstar, 7 April 2001
By A Customer
I grew up listening to the teachings of Mr Dahl, having his books read to me, then re-reading them when I was older. One of my favourite has always been the story of Charlie, and his rages to riches tale.
This is a wonderfully lighthearted novel, which has the social and moral undertones evident in many of Dahls works.
For those of you unfamiliar with the work,I will not spoil it by giving away the plot, however, I must say that this is a very involving novel, and we easily find ourselves seeped into the unfortunate world of Charlie, as we travel with him through his adventures. I found my self in a lottery-win style state of mind when Charlie finally found the final Golden Ticket, the key to the door of his happiness.
All in all, I simply must recommend this novel to everyonde, young and old. It is one of those finds that you will never let go: I still have the copy I was read as a four yearold.

5.0 out of 5 stars thumbs up, 28 Jun 2013
Bought for my 8yr old son for his birthday as he loves Charlie and Choc factory! Has book and film already and now has the set! Its very good and he loves it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fun and exiting book, 9 Feb 2014
This review is from: Charlie and the Chocolate Factory (Paperback)
The book is based on a boy named Charlie Bucket who is a lucky winner of a golden ticket.

I have given this book a rating of 5 stars because the story is entertaining, made me laugh throughout and I found it difficult to put down.

What I liked about the book was the story line, humour and pictures (although I didn't need the pictures to imagine the setting as it was described so well in the book).

This book is aimed at children between the ages of 7 onwards, but adults would enjoy it too.

Overall I really enjoyed this book and would recommend that others read it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Desserts -- More Engaging Story Than the Movie, 14 May 2004
(HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)    (VINE VOICE)
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.
To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. Charlie and the Chocolate Factory was one of her picks.
Since many people have seen the movie and not read the book, let me briefly compare them. The book creates more of a contrast between want and plenty. Charlie Bucket and his family are literally starving to death in the book. The book is also more of a moral tale, along the lines of Dickens. Some of the satire is much more wickedly funny as well. For example, each time something happens to one of the other children in the Chocolate Factory, the Oompa-Loompas sing a very witty, satirical song to emphasize the lesson . . . not unlike a Greek chorus.
If you don't know the story, Willie Wonka is a regular candy magician. He has made a chocolate ice cream that doesn't melt even when out in the sun all day. He can make a gumball that never melts in your mouth, so you never have to buy another. He has candy balloons that you can blow up, and then eat.
But his competitors sent spies into his factory and stole his secrets. So he fired all of his employees and closed the factory. Then, one day it started up again behind a locked gate. But no one ever came in or went out. You could see small shapes behind some of the windows. The candy comes out each day from a hole in the wall all packed and addressed for the post office.
Suddenly, Willie Wonka announces that the children who are the holders of five golden tickets (hidden in five of his candy bars) will be allowed a one day tour of the factory. Everyone wants one!
Augustus Gloop lives on candy. His mother isn't surprised when he gets a ticket because he always eating candy.
Miss Veruca Salt is spoiled and her parents are rich. Her father bought 100,000 candy bars and had the people in his factories open all the wrappers until they found one.
Miss Violet Beauregard is a world champion gum chewer, and has been working on the same piece for 3 years now.
Mike Teavee never leaves his television, and likes to shoot at the screen with his 8 toy pistols.
Charlie Bucket is a poor boy who lives next to the factory. His father has just lost his job. He gets one candy bar a year for his birthday. Alas, the candy bar did not have a ticket in it. Feeling sorry for him, his grandfather gives Charlie his last 10 cents. That doesn't do it either. What now?
Inside the Chocolate Factory is a world better than Oz. Every child will love to hear about its wonders. Every parent will feel terrific for reading about these amazing features and sharing them. If you are like me, you will especially like the INVENTING ROOM.
After you finish enjoying this story with your child, I suggest that you talk about what you can do to help poor children. After all, Willie Wonka only helped one. There are lots more out there. I guess he wanted each of us to have our chance to help.
The next time you are in the mood for a dessert, imagine that you can have one of Willie Wonka's amazing delights! It'll feed your imagination while keeping your waistline right where it is.

Charlie and the Chocolate Factory
Charlie and the Chocolate Factory by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 6 Sep 2007)
3.85