5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Champion of the World
Published on 14 Mar 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the book instead
I loved this book as a child and bought this to read to my children. The problem with the Kindle version however is that not all the pages run in the correct order, which makes for a very confusing read.
Published 21 months ago by Mr. R. Sutcliffe

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny Champion of the World, 14 Mar 2003
By A Customer
Danny the Champion of the World was adapted into a children's book from one of Roald Dahl adult short stories. This book is perfect for slightly older children (aged 8 to 12). I first read it when I was nine and it was so exciting at the time I had to read some of it standing up because I could not sit still and read it at the same time. I still remembered the sheer excitement and tension when Danny was in the car. This is a gripping book for children to read.
It is also hugely touching as we see Danny's relationship to his Father develop. The sparky, enthusiastic and loving Father is an absolute joy to read about. Roald Dahl never had a Father himself (he died when he was young) and the figure in this book is obviously his ideal figure. I reread this book recently and I went for a walk though the autumn countryside afterwards because of it. It made me remember some important things that matter about life that I'd previously forgotten when I was lost under adult work and bills to pay. It left me profoundly affected.
The message at the end about what a Father should be should be a message to us all.
This is the most sensitive and well written of all Roald Dahl's children's books. It is also hugely funny. I feel so lucky to have been able to read Roald Dahl as a child. All children will love this book.

3.0 out of 5 stars Buy the book instead, 30 Jun 2012

5.0 out of 5 stars Danny is the Champion, 3 Dec 2008
A Kid's Review
Danny the Champion of the world is a wonderful story about a boy and his father who become champions at poaching pheasants. Its such an amazing Roald Dahl book, its my favourite and its my dad's too. I couldnt put it down after I started reading it. I am giving it 5 stars as Roald Dahl uses such powerful verbs, adverbs and adjectives, so that you get everything planned in your head and it feels like your in the story. I would recommend to any boys and girls aged 7-12. By Ruby Davis aged 9.

5.0 out of 5 stars Revisited after 30 years, 20 July 2009
JM GREENWOOD (Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This is the first time I have read this book in 30 years since junior school, and I purchased it to read with my 7 year old daughter. All the memories came flooding back, the characters the plot the excitement.
My daughter enjoyed it just as much as I did 2nd time around. A must for any early reader either assisted or to read to. Quentin Blakes illustrations are equally vivid and memorable.

5.0 out of 5 stars My little girl loved this, 5 Feb 2014
John Ryan (London, UK) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
Been reading this story to my little girl for months. She's really enjoyed it. Not much more to say really!

5.0 out of 5 stars Still one of my favourite all time books, 15 Aug 2013
I am always amazed how exciting this book is. I have read it many times over the years, first to my own children and then to my grandchildren and every time the adventure is just as exciting. Brilliant read...

5.0 out of 5 stars Dangerous, Daring Danny, 1 July 2009
A Kid's Review
Danny the Champion of the World is a book about amazing and exciting things that happen to a father and son. Danny and his Dad live in Hazells Wood, where they own a filling station; they lead a very basic life until William (Danny's Dad) tells him about his favourite thing ever - Poaching!

I have enjoyed this book extremely and I am pleased that I have read it; I just couldn't put the book down. Its plot is mainly good but I wasn't overly impressed with the school scenes but I love the idea of taking a risk that can sometimes benefit.

This was a brilliant read and I would recommend for anyone over the age of nine - I hope this has given you a little insight (I don't want to give away the story too much!) but I'm sure you'll enjoy reading it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Delightful Danny, 30 Jun 2009
A Kid's Review
Danny the Champion of the World is one of the best books I've ever read!

Danny and his dad live in a caravan near Hazells wood, Danny thinks he knows everything about his dad but you know everyone has a secret. It's so wonderful when you read about William's (Danny's dad) poaching tatics. The two get up to some amazing things and I enjoyed this book so much because it's so...exciting!

I've read tons of Dahl's books but this is the best so far - I've never really been intrested in father and son tales neither poaching and at first I didn't think I'd really enjoy but I was proved wrong, although I wasn't overly impressed with the school scenes, it shows great courage, passion and adventure in this book.

I would thoughly recommend this book to anyone over the age of eight I'm sure you'll enjoy it, once again it was a delightful book to read.

5.0 out of 5 stars I thought it was very good., 29 Oct 2000
By A Customer
I thought that this book was very good because there's only a little bit of boring parts and it's very exciting. The best bit is when Danny goes poaching with his Dad and tried out a new way to poach which Danny made up. Tom Hibbert aged 8

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant. A typical Roald Dahl book., 17 April 2000
By A Customer
Wonderful stuff. You have to be mad not to buy it. It is about a young Boy who is poor and had to grow up in a Caravan. He was content but he would one day get a reward for his battling on on life. If i say any more i will give away what happens. The idea is ingenious and once again stretches the imagination along way. Something that will keep your child going for some time as well. Great value all round.

ARRAY(0xb2dc88dc)

Danny the Champion of the World
Danny the Champion of the World by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 7 Feb 2013)
5.29