Format: Paperback|Change

on 28 January 2010
This is the best book ever because it is all about a little girl who goes on loads
of adventures with the B F G [the big friendly giant], and the adventures are really imaginative.

I am only nine and I read this book when I was about 7 , but even now I could
still read the book over and over again [ thats how good it is].

If I were you I would definitely buy this book !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
on 28 January 2010

I am only nine and I read this book when I was about 7 , but even now I could
still read the book over and over again [ thats how good it is].

If I were you I would definitely buy this book !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
TOP 500 REVIEWERVINE VOICEon 28 February 2010
The Big Friendly Giant - or BFG - was written in 1982 when the author was 66 years old. It is of course a story for children and in my case their ages are ten and seven. I had been reading this out loud as a bedtime story so I know it as well as any!

A little girl is taken from her orphanage by a twenty-four foot giant in the middle of the night and taken to his cave a long, long way away, where several other giants live. Fortunately the girl was taken by the only friendly giant of the group, all of whom are much taller than the BFG and have a penchant for eating children. Sophie is most upset to hear all this, and after making friends with her own particular giant devises a plan on how to put a stop to the terrible cannibalism. That plan includes asking the Queen for help....

This is an amusing, mesmerising and above all entertaining story that kept my children rapt with attention at all times, although my younger daughter tended to fall asleep rather quickly - but then, that was the whole idea! The images portrayed are just ideal for children of primary school age, filling them with wonder and a little bit of fear, but not too much. I enjoyed doing all the different voices, to add a little something for their benefit, and although some of the concepts might sound a little too adult for younger ears - such as eating children - it was written with just the right amount of scariness to make them think but not give them nightmares - something the BFG, within the story itself, is more than adept at doing.

I'm not always an ardent fan of Roald Dahl, but after reading this and George's Marvellous Medicine recently, I feel that here are two colourful stories of his that might stay in the memory for all the right reasons. My children liked The BFG a lot and so did I.
on 4 October 2001
I bought this tape for my 5 year old son who is(or rather was) afraid of the dark.
He now rushes upstairs to his room, dives under the duvet all the while shouting "put the tape on, put the tape on Mummy" and so I do leaving him happily in the world of the dream blowing giant.
Who better to send you off to sleep than Sophie and the BFG having their bone crunching giant adventures! I admit that after bed-time I hear peals of laughter at the snozzcumbers and other such magical notions in this story, but I can't think of a lovelier way to enjoy it.
The BFG is written with such warmth and humour that listeners of all ages will just love to sit back, close their eyes and enter the realm of troggle humping giants who like to guzzle and swallomp human beans of the chiddler variety!
This is a wonderful gift for any child and quite a God-send for many parents too.
We now have James and the Giant Peach, the Magic Finger and Fantastic Mr Fox on tape too. Bed times will never be the same again.
on 10 May 2011
I'll leave comments on Dahl's fantastic story to others, but I will comment on the Kindle edition.

The good: The pictures are well presented and clear.

The bad: There are quite a lot of errors in the text. Pretty much every chapter has a word or two that has been incorrectly entered. It's not enough to spoil one's enjoyment of the book but it is annoying that having paid at least much as a paper version would cost you end up with a sloppily prepared copy.

Also, the chapters are not marked ( there is no table of contents ), and there is no cover picture.
on 23 January 2006
My kids regularly listen to audio books in the car on school run etc. This is one of the best. My 7 and 9 year old love it and their 39 year old mum loves it too!!
Its v funny dialogue and not just someone reading from the book.
on 1 September 2009
I just love this book! I picked it up while on holiday with my 8 year old niece. But as she was reading it at the time I couldn't have access to when I wanted. I didn't flumwaddle a minute more and ordered it from Amazon.
Why I haven't read it before I don't know. I'm 53!
My first re-read with my son. Via audiobook (David Walliams narrating), this captured me as much by Dahl's word-play as it ever did when I was a child.

My five-year-old loved it too and now keeps happily mentioned 'bellypoppers' at random times of the day.

This is arguably Dahl's best novel. Matilda is my favourite, but in no other book does he quite manage the amazing talent for language that he does with the Big Friendly Giant.

Sophie, the orphan girl, is snatched from her bed by a giant dream-blower, the BFG of the title, who lives in Giant Country as a runt among child-killing giants, alone with only repulsive snozcumbers for sustenance. And the dreams he collects to blow into children's windows at night.

The BFG is the father figure Sophie does not have, one with imperfect English (self-taught) who hates his fellow giants and their human-eating ways. It takes the little girl to conjure up the plan (involving dreams, a trip to London and the Queen of England) that will stop their evil ways for good.

What a lovely, lovely story to read together. With perfectly evil characters to despise, and a wonderfully heroic pair in little Sophie and her giant friend, you have the perfect set-up for a strong plot - where the story takes its time to get back to the killer giants. We have chapters meandering through the BFG's learning of English through books (always an important thing with Dahl), collecting dreams, looking at dream bottles, having giggles with whizzpops) until finally Sophie's plan must be acted on, and the Queen of England plays second fiddle to the twosome and helps them capture the child-killers for good.

My son didn't always understand the BFG's mistakes (in language), but I could see he was enjoying listening to the story, and was following the general plot. I'm sure as he grows older he will catch on and read this on another level. It was charming to listen to this as an adult and see the BFG as an overgrown child with no parental guidance, a good soul who tries to bring happiness to children but by himself is helpless to stop them.

Little Sophie is like Matilda in that she is the small person charged with defeating the mighty 'grown up' characters, calling in support, but providing the impetus needed to start events on their course.

Walliams voiced this very well, nothing overdone, appropriate and amusing voices for each character, the BFG given a quaint south-eastern farmer voice that doesn't become a stereotype, the Queen's closest to this but still amusing rather than annoying.

The Dahl everyone should read. And hopefully after this summer's (2016) film, it's the one everyone will be clamouring for copies of. Share it with them now.

One for all ages - if my 5-year-old can listen to 4 hours of the BFG, then anyone will love it.
on 6 April 2011
The BFG is a great story to read and is suitable for any age. It is one of Roald Dahl's greatest books, and a must to all young children. The BFG is an exciting book that is loved by all who read it.

I think Roald Dahl has written this story very well and I also think he has tried to make it a family book. If he has, he has definitely succeeded

This book is an all time classic and will be for years to come; also it is definitely one of Roald Dahl's best. Overall a great read and is loved by all. Also it has lots of humor in it and is just generally a great book to read. You have got to read it!!!

By M4D5
on 30 December 2005
Great story with exciting narration. My 8 year old couldn't stop listening!