on 10 November 2009
George's marvellous medicine book review.

George is a thrilling, wonderful boy who had to put up with a grumpy, old, lazy Grandma who always bosses him about.
He then had an amazing idea so he could get his own back!
He decided to make a marvellous medicine and it worked, but very weirdly!
Suddenly the old, lazy Grandma started screaming and steam came out of her waxy ears and then she shot up like a rocket into the air!
No wonder that happened after what George had put in.
He put in shampoo to pig pills, and nit cream to shoe polish!
Mr. Kranky is George's dad and he is sometimes off his head unlike his mum Mrs Kranky. She is quite strict but sometimes fun!
I think this story is a very fun one so I give it...
4 Stars

Molly
TOP 100 REVIEWERon 29 March 2016
I thought maybe my son was a little young, at only just 5, to be reading many of our Roald Dahl collection. This, though, was always one of the most accessible, and after reading him the blurb, he was very keen.

It is appropriate (and also sets children up for the devilish subversion, wordplay and childish havoc of longer Dahl books), with short chapters, pictures on almost every page, and a plot that catches them from the very beginning.

It was always one of my favourites - I DESPERATELY wanted to make the medicine, even if I knew I didn't have all of the ingredients George finds.

George is a good little boy, if a teeny bit mischievous, though it's quite obvious, even to my son, that his Grandma really is horrible and deserves everything she gets. The descriptions of her are marvellous, from her teeth to her puckered-up mouth. I gave her a bit of a witch's voice, which seemed to work. I did wonder if the section where she does start to speak as though she is magic was a little scary, but he seemed nonplussed. George himself makes the medicine but doesn't really himself change or grow in the story, he sparks it off and watches it take over. The ingredients are great (the names! the descriptions! a little over my son's head but I laughed as I read).

Of course, the scene of the 'medicine taking' is brilliant, he grinned from start to finish and loved the results. The short chapters work very well here, each leading to more exciting things ahead (this took us three bedtimes, though he would have had it in one if I could have managed it!).

I find Mr Kranky hard to read - he 'cries' or 'shouts' everything with excitement and agitation, so pitching his voice and volume right was very difficult, as he is a bundle of energy, and I had to purposely slow down so my son could keep up. Mrs Kranky is barely there, a stereotype mum 'washing up' or telling them all to calm down. It's all about Grandma.

My boy LOVED the end, just loved watching what happened to the animals and to Grandma and instantly asked to make a medicine himself (not for his own lovely Grandmas of course "for other children's horrid Grandmas, Mummy!"). It's one he's talked about since finishing last night, and I know we will read it again, and hopefully in a couple of years, he will want to try it by himself.

A feast for the imagination (if not the stomach!), a glorious triumph of clever child over revolting adult. Very enjoyable to read aloud, with just enough illustrations for younger listeners, and plenty of motivation for solo readers to want to try it without an adult.

Classic Dahl I hope to read with a grandchild someday.
on 26 March 2006
I remember my first year of primary school, my teacher read the class this book. After that i was hooked i went out and got my parents to buy me the book as soon as my teacher read the last few pages! Now being 17 im still fascinated at how thrilling and outrageous the book is but everytime i read it, it has me hooked till the last page. i recommend this book to any adult that has children or just to the adults themselves!
on 11 December 2015
My class read this book and this is what they thought:
This book is about a boy called George who made a medicine because his Grandma was mean to him. I would recommend my friends to read this book. It is suitable for 4-10 year olds. My favourite part was when grandma shrunk because it was hilarious!
by Aaron age 7.

This book is about a young boy who wants to cure his horrible Grandma who is short, skinny and so wrinkly. George decides to make a medicine that will change things forever. I would recommend this book to people who like to read books about making potions. My favourite part was when she turned super fat because it is funny.
Milo, age 7.

This book is about George and his mean, old grandma. She bosses him about except for when his mum is home. I would recommend this book for 10-20 year olds! It is suitable for anyone because it is so funny! My favourite part was the saying, "puckered up mouth like a dogs bottom!"
Ewan, age 7

This book is about George and his Grandma who is a very mean lady so he decides to make a manic medicine! It changes her a lot...although her breath still stinks! I would recommend the book to grown ups as well as children because it is hilarious! My favourite part was when grandma blasted through the roof!
Emerson, age 7

This book is about a boy called George who wants to cure his grandma so he makes a magic medicine! I would recommend this book to everybody because it is really extraordinary! My favourite part was when grandma blown up after the medicine!
Edward, age 7

This book is about George and his marvellous medicine. I would recommend boys 6-8 year olds. It is suitable for everybody because they might like to read funny stories. My favourite part is when Grandma shrunk to a pea.
Rossi, age 7

This book is about Grandma being so mean to George. George decides to take revenge and George makes a magic medicine that will change this forever. I would recommend this book to everybody because it is funny! It is particularly suitable for 6-7 year olds. My favourite part is when Grandma goes crazy because it is funny!
Lilyan, age 7

This book is about a little boy who makes a medicine to take revenge on his Grandma. I would recommend this book to my 7 years old friends because I want to see what they think about it! It is suitable for everybody because it is crazy and funny! My favourite part was when she blew up like a balloon in the air.
Thomas, age 7
on 21 February 2014
George is an 8 year old kid who lives on a farm with his mother and father.One day his mother went shopping and his grouchy grandmother was supposed to keep an eye on him.The grandmother needs to take a medicine at 11 o'clock,George thinks his grandmother is creepy so he prepares a false medicine.Once she takes the medicine she has steam coming out of her mouth and she grows very tall.

I liked this book because it was interesting, funny and completely insane.
I would recommend this book to new readers.

By Alessio Mazza
on 15 June 2011
The story is thrilling. When I see Grandma I'm shocked. My sister is a bit scared when she sees Grandma. She hides behind the couch and she weeps. Grandma has to have her medicine at 11 o'clock. Grandma makes George do everything at home but when George's mum and Dad are there she doesn't do this. George makes four sorts of medicine. One is when you grow up, two is where you get long legs, three a long neck and four is to shrink.
on 9 June 2015
I remember reading this as a child and recently re-read it as a bed time story book to my 5 year old son. I wanted to see if my son really listens and thought lets read a longer bed time story book and see if he remains interested and can recall the story given it will be read over a period of a week or two (few chapters each night).
We finished the book within 10 days and he loved every second of it. It kept him focused all the way through. Every night he said "please mum a few more pages!" This story kept him gripped to want to know what happens next and he was laughing out loud so much. Dahl's writing is brilliant and i loved reading this out loud to my son.
on 24 February 2014
It was a really amazing book with lots of action and George made a very marvellous medicine that you would not drink. Something nasty would happen if you drank it and that's what happened to George's Grandma...The characters were funny. My favourite character was George because he is a brave and quite a silly boy whose Grandma bullies him. I enjoyed this book and would recommend it to others around 7 to 11 years old. I laughed a lot reading it. At the end of the story I wanted it to carry on. I think you should read more Roald Dahl books if you liked this one but wait until you read it! By Fluffy Unicorn 888
on 21 February 2016
There can't be very much to say here that hasn't already been said. I am just adding my voice to the masses that grew up with Roald Dahl and now loves reading these stories to their own children. Dahl's story telling is as always second to none. I actually think that this is probably his best story, from the perspective of a child, and reading it again I remember all the joy I felt as a ten year old when coming across this immense wealth of language for the first time. So many writers and television programmes condescend children and go with cheap jokes about bodily functions, Dahl loved all of those dirty, silly jokes too, but he has enough respect for children to know that you don't have to dumb this stuff down. The English language is so rich and should be celebrated with adverbs and adjectives that roll around in your mouth and then you give life to, painting the story in full colour and life for your children. I think his use of language is actually more sophisticated than most authors who write for adults. Wonderful.

I confess that the first time I read this to my kids, I edited out some of the ingredients from the "magic medicine" as I did not want to give the impression that playing with all those things we had warned them against could be fun. However, I later found out that their teacher had already read them the unabridged version, so I shouldn't have worried (or else maybe I should have worried!). That is the only concern I have with this book. I encourage everyone to read this to their children, and celebrate every page with them. But you all know your kids and keep that in mind.
on 30 December 2009
George's Marvellous Medicine is probably my most favourite children's book, and I remember experimenting with household chemicals to see what kind of medicine I could create! (There's now a warning within the covers of the book not to replicate what George did, which suggests that someone somewhere has actually tried feeding their creations to someone.)

I bought this book as a gift for myself, because it had been years since I last read it.

The general feeling I have is that, in bringing the cover of the book up to date, and adding the various bits of promotion inside the book, that the authenticity and the experience of reading the book itself has been cheapened, or at least diluted. Having read and remembered an old version of the book - which, if I remember correctly, has a red cover - to hold the book in my hands feels less like the eccentric experience I grew up with reading Roald Dahl's books, and more like a flat, commercial product.

It's always good to see illustration by the legendary Quentin Blake, but the book itself seems to be overwhelmed with pictures. The ones inside the story, to which there is at least one in every spread, are to be expected for a children's book - but looking at the front covers and the introductory pages gives me a bit of a headache.

Anyway, if you can get past the highly-sugary levels of graphics, I would wholeheartedly recommend giving this book a read. If you can find an older version with a less busy cover, even better.