Format: PaperbackChange

on 8 October 2009
Bought this book for my 6 year old son who is a huge Roald Dahl fan. He's half way through it and enjoying it very much. On the day it came through the post,I stayed up reading it and bought back fond memories when I read it as a child. Would definitely recommend it for any Roald Dahl fan.
on 4 July 2012
This is a fantastic Roald Dahl book, a great classic and is great for children aged from 5-10. I would highly recommend it to any child, my son loved it.
on 28 March 2010
I bought this and Wind in the Willows to entertain my 4 yr old son during a long car journey. W in the W was turned off pretty quickly, but James and the Giant Peach was listened to twice - back to back.

I think the difference is that "James" is the kind of high octain excitement that small boys want. It's unexpected, it's a little bit scarey, it has random songs and weird sound effects so you never quite know what's going to happen. This is good from an Adult point of view too; I have this on repeat play in the car and am not going mad yet.

You might remember Ratty and Moley fondly, but if your little boy has thrilled to the adventures of Fireman Sam (big ladders! rescues! danger!) or solemly informed you that he really needs an Omnitrix for this birthday, then this is your CD. I fully intend to buy more ... and shortly to buy the book. Oh and the film. Handy that.
on 23 June 2006
The book I have read is called James and The Giant peach. It is written by Roald Dahl and it is illustrated by Quentin Blake. James and the Giant peach is a brilliant book. This book is Fiction. Moreover, it is adventurous. This book has all different types of settings: the first setting is in a house, the second setting is in a huge peach and the last setting is in the great city of New York.

Amazingly, this book is about a young boy named James Henry Trotter. Since, James' parents died he had not been happy at all. In addition he had to go and live with his horrible sinister aunts in the country side. Plus, he was being bullied by his ghastly aunts! Until one day when a man gave him some magical crocodile tongues. Furthermore James unfortunately fell over and dropped them. The next day, James found a tremendous peach. That's when the adventure started.

The characters in the book are James (The main Character) that has two aunts (Horrible and sinister things to him) and has some amazing friends: They are the Centipede, The Old green grasshopper, The Silkworm, Miss Spider, The Glow worm and the Ladybird. But on the other hand the Old Green Grasshopper is kind of a show off because he plays music but he brags about it.

James relationship with his aunts is terrible because they never get on also they call him name and beat him. James relationship between him and the creatures are very good. In addition, his best friend is The Centipede; he thinks that the Old-Green-Grasshopper is kind of his best friend because he always helps him when he needs help. Plus, with the rest of his peach friend they have a great relationship.

I love this book it is a great book that everyone will enjoy it. I will recommend this book for everyone because it has clear font it has pictures to help you recognise what is happening. Further more, it is a hilarious book that will make you laugh your head off! Moreover, it is worth buying it because you can read it over and over again and it will still be funny! I have enjoyed this book and so would you!
on 20 December 2001
I love all Roald Dahl books because of his weird but exciting stories. Ialso love the what looks to be like brilliant and quick sketch drawings by Quinten Blake. James and the Giant Peach has to be his best book he has ever written because of all of his ideas that he made James do. Making over 200 seagulls carry a peach is just fantastic, also I would like to mention the way he described the charaters, it was just incredible. I liked the way James could talk to creepy crawlies and the different personalities they all had. It's just awesome!
on 27 December 2010
Wonderful story, remembered reading this in primary school, my 7 year old loved it and best of all, there are so many more Dahl stories we haven't read yet!
on 30 July 2009
All Roald Dahl stories are fantastic for kids, and in my opinion, this is one of the best! a classic tale that was made into a wonderful film.
I think ANYONE could read this story and love it. Adults and children alike!
11 comment8 of 9 people found this helpful. Was this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
VINE VOICEon 11 November 2015
To really enjoy James and the Giant Peach you need to have read it to a 5 year old who hasn’t yet been dulled by video games and television and still understands that marvellous things can and do sometimes happen. I’ve read it to four so far and have enjoyed it immensely each time. Trying to give all the different characters, different voices is quite a challenge, but I’m getting better each time.

When James parents are eaten by an escaped Rhinoceros in 35 seconds flat, he is sent to live with his aunts, Spiker and Sponge. Mean and uncaring they treat him little better than a slave and keep him virtually trapped in their run down house by the sea. Even though the beach is only a short way off he is forbidden to go there or see other children. As you can expect he is miserable and very lonely. When he meets a mysterious man in the garden (Pete Postlethwaite) and is given some tiny magic creatures he is told to use them to make him happy. However he drops them and they disappear into the ground under the old Peach Tree. The very next day marvellous things start to happen.

Dahl’s almost Dickensian obsession with ever more bizarre adults being mean to children is as evident as ever with Sponge and Spiker, however it is James time and adventures aboard the Giant Peach with his new friends that makes this a magical story that should hold most youngsters attention right to the end. A gentle message to care about others and the environment is wrapped up in there, but the book is never allowed to be preachy.

Dahl is not afraid to subject children to some of the more unpleasant sides of life like death, poverty, hunger, fear, danger, and these subjects pop up often in his stories. In that respect they are little like those dark nursery rhymes children often learn in school. However saying that the books always have a positive message about goodness and treating people, especially children, with respect and kindness. Dahl’s obsession with children not watching too much TV and doing things outdoors is sometimes piled on a little too thick, but he meant well and is of course quite right.

Easily one of the best children’s books ever written and a perennial favourite.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
on 16 January 2016
Storyline - A story about James who has lived with his beastly Aunt Sponge and Aunt Spiker ever since the day his parents were eaten up by a rhinoceros. Daringly saving the life of a spider he comes into possession of magic boiled crocodile tongue, after which an enormous peach starts to grow in the garden. Upon entered the peach he meets many new friends who help him to get to New York.

Themes: - Fruits, journeys, family.

Activity ideas:
- Children could write a newspaper report about what happened to James' parents.
- Children could make a poster to encourage people to come and see the giant peach.
- Children could create a timeline showing the main events of the story, or make a story board or mountain.
- Children could draw a map showing the peaches journey.
- Children could explore how fruit and vegetables grow and maybe grow some in a small garden in the school.
- Children could research how many legs different types of centipedes have.
- Children could find all the different types of punctuation used in the story and could try to use them.
- Children could use ICT to create a trailer or the film/story.
- Children could write a diary entry from one of the aunts' point of view on the day that the peach rolled away from the garden.

Great resource for KS1/2
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse
I received this book for Christmas from my other half. He wanted to buy me my favourite Roald Dahl book, and when he couldn't find it in store (it's The Twits, in case you're curious) he bought me his favourite instead. Ah well, it's the thought that counts...

I've always vaguely known James' story but I don't think it's one I've actually read before; my knowledge was probably based on the film (which is amazing and I have such a craving to watch it now I've read the book).

The book is quite different to the film, which meant it was a refreshing read for me. It starts off quite similarly, with poor James' parents being eaten by a rhino and him being sent to live with awful Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge. I enjoyed their fate in the book a lot more than I did in the film: a lot more satisfying and a lot more 'Dahl'.

I read this book when I was feeling a bit down and it certainly cheered me up. Dahl's books are charming, even when they're dark and dangerous, and they never fail to make me smile. This book had a few pages that lost me a little: a whole page paragraph describing the peach rolling away was a bit much for me, but otherwise the story moves fast and is captivating and even makes giant insects seem charming rather than scary.
0CommentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoReport abuse