Format: PaperbackChange

on 9 December 2011
I've loved reading Roald Dahl's fantastic work since I was a child. His vast and colourful imagination never fails to capture children and introduce them to strange and wonderful worlds.

James and the Giant Peach is a brilliant book for several reasons. The loveable characters, brilliant plot and (most importantly) the fact that Dahl never patronises his young readers by using oversimplified/dull language.

I would urge parents to buy this book for their children, so they can experience the wonderful (and sometimes turbulent) journey with James and his friends on a giant peach.
on 29 April 2013
Reading this book instantly transported me back to the age of 8 when I read this book in amazement and wonder. 30 years later it filled me with the same page turning thrill to discover a wonderful mind filling story. Highly recommended. I owe roald Dahl many thanks for opening my eyes to the wonder of story reading, giving my imagination no boundaries.
James & his insect friends will forever hold a place in my heart on the journey they take and the encounters they make!
on 29 January 2011
I bought this together with Charlie and the Chocolate Factory in an attempt to find a child's bedtime book that was as interesting and entertaining for the reader as well as the child. Children's books can be incredibly boring at times (Mr Men series anyone?). Both these books are brilliant. The stories are interesting and you are quickly drawn into the adventures the main characters have along the way. The books focus on the good and bad in people's behaviour, there is lots of humour in them and most chapters tend to short and snappy which make them perfect for bedtime reading. They are also illustrated every few pages which keeps little ones interested. I know that we will re-read these again in the future. They make great presents and I would happily recommend.
on 19 June 2010
Je souhaite que mes enfants lisent des histoires anglaises pour enrichir leur vocabulaire et découvrir une autre culture.
Ce roman de Roald Dahl est idéal pour ça, car l'histoire singulière et poétique donne une telle envie de lire la suite qu'elle permet de surmonter les difficultés potentielles de la langue. Pour dire vrai, je l'ai lu avant mes enfants et j'ai été ravi. Je le conseille à tous les parents dans sa version anglaise mais aussi française.
on 23 August 2012
I'm so glad I bought this book for my 5 year old. Not only does it make more interesting reading for me, but it reminded me of my childhood and my son couldn't get enough of it! I kept asking him what happened the previous night and he recited the whole lot. Some longer words for him to grapple with but consequently he's added to his vocabulary and we've both had a great time!
on 27 November 2001
Roald Dahl seems to have had no end to his talent for writing wonderfuly addictive childrens books. As a 12 year old I should know as I have read all of hischildrens books and a couple of the older reads. This story of a boy who finds adventure with some giant insects and a giant peach is no exception. James escapes his two horrible aunts and finds happiness in New York where he lives a almost fairytale life. Please read this book as you will not be dissapointed at all.
Researchers constantly find that reading to children is valuable in a variety of ways, not least of which are instilling a love of reading and improved reading skills. With better parent-child bonding from reading, your child will also be more emotionally secure and able to relate better to others. Intellectual performance will expand as well. Spending time together watching television fails as a substitute.

To help other parents apply this advice, as a parent of four I consulted an expert, our youngest child, and asked her to share with me her favorite books that were read to her as a young child. James and the Giant Peach was one of her picks.

The book is a wonderful witty exploration of the marvels of imagination as applied to nature. Every reader will look much more closely at the world around after finding so many interesting details to consider.

The story begins when James Henry Trotter was about four years old. He had been living happily with his parents in England. One day, they went shopping and were eaten by an angry runaway rhinoceros which had escaped from the London zoo. As a result, their wonderful home was sold and James Henry Trotter came to live with his decidedly dastardly aunts Sponge and Spiker. They mistreated and overworked James Michael Trotter much like the abuse that Cinderella experienced at the hands by her evil stepmother and stepsisters.

Poor James! He has become the most unhappy, lonely, and woebegone orphan in the world.

But his luck changes when a mysterious old man gives him some magic, in the form of wriggling little green things to put into water and drink. Then their magic will help James. "Whoever they meet first, be it bug . . . or tree, that will be . . . who gets the full power of their magic!" James is told to hold the bag tight and to hurry. But, alas, he trips and the contents of the bag spill out underneath the old barren peach tree in the yard. Quickly, the magic seeps into the ground as James scrambles to retrieve it.

Soon, the aunts spot a peach growing in the very top of the tree. And it keeps growing . . . and growing . . . and growing . . . and growing . . . until it's the size of a house. They concoct a scheme to get rich by charging admission to see the peach, while James is to stay out all night cleaning up the mess the visitors have made. Tired, he decides to look at the giant peach. He notices a hole, like a giant worm's tunnel in the bottom. He climbs in. What he finds leads him on one of the most amazing journeys that any 7 year old has ever had or imagined!

This story has a lot in common with Alice in Wonderland. Everything that happens prior to going through the hole in the peach is but a preamble for the role reversal in which the peach and the insects inside of it are made to be enormous. This is like Alice drinking the potion that makes her small. Yet the rest of the world stays its normal size. Basically, this is an encouragement to take the qualities of peaches and insects more seriously by exaggering their significance. You will learn a lot, and be charmed by how the information builds the story.

Along the way, Mr. Dahl asks some very interesting questions:

How do grasshoppers make sounds?

What benefits do earthworms, lady bugs, and spiders bring for people?

How many legs does a centipede have?

He also provides many fantastic explanations of natural processes, introducing cloud-men to make rainbows, hail, and rain. These are great fun and help develop the story.

Whenever James seeks to create a balance in and with nature, things work just fine. A good example is that he uses filament spun by the silk worm and the spider to tie to gulls who carry the peach aloft over the ocean. Harness just the right number of gulls and progress is smooth. Harness too few, and nothing happens. That subliminal message is a valuable one for every reader.

The ending is particularly fine for expanding on the concept of how each being's peculiarities can be strengths. The book appears to draw on The Ugly Duckling story for inspiration. Even James' loneliness serves him well, in the end.

I also like this story for its potential to inspire writers. Walk into your kitchen, and pick up the first item you see. Then build a story around it, like Mr. Dahl has done with this peach. If you do this with a child, you will both be the richer for the experience.

After you are done enjoying the story and writing your own, I also suggest that you think about ways that you can live in greater harmony with nature. What aspects of your life would you have to change? How could you be as useful to nature as the earthworm is to the farmer? What gratifications would you feel from doing this? Spring will be coming in a few months, and the opportunity to do some organic gardening using the materials in your own yard will be there. Plan to get closer to nature, and make notes about what you observe every day. You will enjoy great peace as a result. If you haven't read Thoreau recently, this would be a good time to do so.

Have a peachy time!
on 29 December 2013
One of the boooks you have to read as a child. Great for older readers to read for themselves but just as good as a bedtime book for younger ones (5+)
Follows the story of James whose magic beans turn a peach massive and his massive insect friends who run away from the nasty aunts Sponge and Spiker over the sea to America.
on 24 April 2015
Although I am an adult and a Norwegian, I really enjoyed reading James and the Giant Peach, mostly because of the delightful characters and the amusing poems. I love all Roald Dahl's books, but this book and the BFG are my personal favourites. I intend to give them to my grandson as a good way for him to learn English.
on 23 February 2013
I thought this book was good. It was the first Roald Dahl book I had ever read.I have read some more now because I wanted to see if the others were as good as this book. I like this book because it was interesting,different and good things happened in it. I would recommend people read this and other Roald Dahl books.