5.0 out of 5 stars Book Reveiw On James And The Giant Peach
Published on 23 Jun. 2006 by Kate Edwars

3.0 out of 5 stars Ok.....ish
This was the first Roald Dahl book ive read to my daughter that i couldnt wait to finish. Both of us found the singing centipede particularly irrittating to read/ listen to.
Published 13 months ago by Stephen & Amelie's books

5.0 out of 5 stars Book Reveiw On James And The Giant Peach, 23 Jun. 2006
This review is from: James and the Giant Peach (Misc.)
The book I have read is called James and The Giant peach. It is written by Roald Dahl and it is illustrated by Quentin Blake. James and the Giant peach is a brilliant book. This book is Fiction. Moreover, it is adventurous. This book has all different types of settings: the first setting is in a house, the second setting is in a huge peach and the last setting is in the great city of New York.

Amazingly, this book is about a young boy named James Henry Trotter. Since, James' parents died he had not been happy at all. In addition he had to go and live with his horrible sinister aunts in the country side. Plus, he was being bullied by his ghastly aunts! Until one day when a man gave him some magical crocodile tongues. Furthermore James unfortunately fell over and dropped them. The next day, James found a tremendous peach. That's when the adventure started.

The characters in the book are James (The main Character) that has two aunts (Horrible and sinister things to him) and has some amazing friends: They are the Centipede, The Old green grasshopper, The Silkworm, Miss Spider, The Glow worm and the Ladybird. But on the other hand the Old Green Grasshopper is kind of a show off because he plays music but he brags about it.

James relationship with his aunts is terrible because they never get on also they call him name and beat him. James relationship between him and the creatures are very good. In addition, his best friend is The Centipede; he thinks that the Old-Green-Grasshopper is kind of his best friend because he always helps him when he needs help. Plus, with the rest of his peach friend they have a great relationship.

I love this book it is a great book that everyone will enjoy it. I will recommend this book for everyone because it has clear font it has pictures to help you recognise what is happening. Further more, it is a hilarious book that will make you laugh your head off! Moreover, it is worth buying it because you can read it over and over again and it will still be funny! I have enjoyed this book and so would you!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wonderful, 30 July 2009
Luna (Lancashire) - See all my reviews
All Roald Dahl stories are fantastic for kids, and in my opinion, this is one of the best! a classic tale that was made into a wonderful film.
I think ANYONE could read this story and love it. Adults and children alike!

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent read..., 8 Oct. 2009
Shahista Begum "bookworm" (London,UK) - See all my reviews
Bought this book for my 6 year old son who is a huge Roald Dahl fan. He's half way through it and enjoying it very much. On the day it came through the post,I stayed up reading it and bought back fond memories when I read it as a child. Would definitely recommend it for any Roald Dahl fan.

5.0 out of 5 stars James And The Giant Peach, 4 July 2012
This is a fantastic Roald Dahl book, a great classic and is great for children aged from 5-10. I would highly recommend it to any child, my son loved it.

5.0 out of 5 stars A brilliant book to read to 5-7 year olds., 20 Dec. 2001
By A Customer
I love all Roald Dahl books because of his weird but exciting stories. Ialso love the what looks to be like brilliant and quick sketch drawings by Quinten Blake. James and the Giant Peach has to be his best book he has ever written because of all of his ideas that he made James do. Making over 200 seagulls carry a peach is just fantastic, also I would like to mention the way he described the charaters, it was just incredible. I liked the way James could talk to creepy crawlies and the different personalities they all had. It's just awesome!

4.0 out of 5 stars Good choice for Ben 10 / Fireman Sam fans aged 4 plus, 28 Mar. 2010
This review is from: James and the Giant Peach (Misc.)
I bought this and Wind in the Willows to entertain my 4 yr old son during a long car journey. W in the W was turned off pretty quickly, but James and the Giant Peach was listened to twice - back to back.

I think the difference is that "James" is the kind of high octain excitement that small boys want. It's unexpected, it's a little bit scarey, it has random songs and weird sound effects so you never quite know what's going to happen. This is good from an Adult point of view too; I have this on repeat play in the car and am not going mad yet.

You might remember Ratty and Moley fondly, but if your little boy has thrilled to the adventures of Fireman Sam (big ladders! rescues! danger!) or solemly informed you that he really needs an Omnitrix for this birthday, then this is your CD. I fully intend to buy more ... and shortly to buy the book. Oh and the film. Handy that.

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 27 Dec. 2010
Wonderful story, remembered reading this in primary school, my 7 year old loved it and best of all, there are so many more Dahl stories we haven't read yet!

4.0 out of 5 stars Charming and captivating, 16 Mar. 2015
This review is from: James and the Giant Peach (Paperback)
I received this book for Christmas from my other half. He wanted to buy me my favourite Roald Dahl book, and when he couldn't find it in store (it's The Twits, in case you're curious) he bought me his favourite instead. Ah well, it's the thought that counts...

I've always vaguely known James' story but I don't think it's one I've actually read before; my knowledge was probably based on the film (which is amazing and I have such a craving to watch it now I've read the book).

The book is quite different to the film, which meant it was a refreshing read for me. It starts off quite similarly, with poor James' parents being eaten by a rhino and him being sent to live with awful Aunt Spiker and Aunt Sponge. I enjoyed their fate in the book a lot more than I did in the film: a lot more satisfying and a lot more 'Dahl'.

I read this book when I was feeling a bit down and it certainly cheered me up. Dahl's books are charming, even when they're dark and dangerous, and they never fail to make me smile. This book had a few pages that lost me a little: a whole page paragraph describing the peach rolling away was a bit much for me, but otherwise the story moves fast and is captivating and even makes giant insects seem charming rather than scary.

5.0 out of 5 stars An Amazing book, 16 April 2012
I like all Roald Dahl books because of all the weird and wonderful adventures his characters have, but I like especially this book 'James and the giant peach'. All the fabulous and amazing illustrations by Quentin Blake really bond to the story. In particular I like how James (the main character)is able to talk to all the insects. All the detail and imagination in the writing really draws a detailed picture in your head, so that you can unterstand whats happening in the book. There is a lot of humour in this book such as when the giant peach rolls down the hill on which James's cruel and abhorent aunts are sunbathing on. But then the peach suddenly flattens them. This book is very well written and imagined and I would reccomend it to anyone who is reading this review.

4.0 out of 5 stars Roald Dahl - James and the Giant Peach | Review, 13 Jan. 2014
This review is from: James and the Giant Peach (Paperback)
James and the Giant Peach is good but not great, and that's almost an insult for a Roald Dahl book - it's a pleasant enough bedtime read, but it's boring and inoffensive, and not as challenging as some of his other masterpieces.

In fact, this is probably the only one of Dahl's major works that I enjoyed more as a movie than as a book. It's still worth reading, but not until you've exhausted the rest of his canon, and perhaps not at all if you're an adult who's never read it before.

Instead, adults without children should consider reading Boy, Dahl's reminiscences of his school-life, or stick to Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and George's Marvellous Medicine. Sorry James, it's nothing against you, your weird insect friends or your giant peach.

James and the Giant Peach
James and the Giant Peach by Roald Dahl (Paperback - 7 Feb. 2013)