4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and a great read
The 5th Wave is a well crafted novel that tackles the subject of an alien invasion with more realism and tension than I have come across in a long time.

Published 11 months ago by Danielle (What Danielle Did Next)

3.0 out of 5 stars Tailed off
I was really enjoying this, great premise, I liked Cassie as a spunky heroine and then...we had a Twilight/The Host/most teenage fictionesque 'oh, he's so beautiful, amazing hands, soft lips, gorgeous hair' and I just switched off.

Some of the plot developments were so heavily dependent on coincidences it made me scoff out loud and without spoiling the plot the...
Published 2 months ago by Tryfan of Duncton

4.0 out of 5 stars Engaging and a great read, 8 May 2013
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)

The story is told in multiple points of view, the main being Cassie Sullivan, a teenage girl, on the run, surviving the wilds as she aims to find her brother who was taken to a rescue camp by the military. I really like Cassie, she was snarky, brave, enjoyable to read about. Yancey did a realistic job in creating a strong narrative voice in particular one of a teenage girl who always rang true and authentic.

I liked how he didn't gloss over the minutiae of living in the wild and the little details of the complexities of surviving by yourself, on the run with little experience was a welcome breath of fresh air (hello tampons anyone? Nice to know someone remembered!)

The 5th Wave's biggest strength is its ability to create that foreboding tension and paranoia that you imagine would accompany an alien invasion as you realise there literally is no one you can really trust, at times not even yourself. There are brutal elements too which were at times hard to stomach, the scenes of training child soldiers for war were difficult to get through and I admit to skimming at times as the age of them really hit home and was a stark reminder that there are areas in the world where children are performing such duties with no mother ship winking down at them as a reason.

It's biggest failing for me was the multiple POV's. I wasn't as emotionally invested in them all as I was in Cassie's and at times grew frustrated as I felt it stilted the pacing. I also found their final character reveal as predictable which dispensed with a lot of the tension as I read waiting for the book to catch up.

Overall it is a strong, compelling work that handles a subject easily prey to the ridiculous in a capable and intelligent manner that makes one think about whether we really are alone in the universe and if not, do we even have a hope?

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Book, 30 Sep 2013
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
I think that this was the best book I have ever read, and I've read a fair few books for a thirteen year old girl. I can't wait for the sequel of this book coming in may, the end gives you a gripping feeling like there should be more so I am extremely pleased and look forward to reading it soon!

4.0 out of 5 stars The 5th Wave, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Paperback)
The first 4 waves have killed Billions of people and now the few people left are waiting to see what the aliens have planned next. 16 year old Cassie is running from a silencer, an alien who look like a human and who kill any human they see. After being shot in the leg, Cassie is rescued by Evan Walker who may be her only hope to rescue her 5 year old brother, but with people not always being what they seem can she trust Evan. At the same time Zombie driven by the guilt that he could have saved his baby sister is at a military camp and is trained to be a solider, but is everything as it appears.

The 5th Wave is a good and dark dystopian book but it was a slow read, especially the start as I found it hard to get into. Yancey is really good at making you unsure who is a human and who is an alien as I kept on guessing. What I don’t understand is the effort aliens went to with their plans as they could have done it easier.

Cassie is a bit of an annoying character as firstly I did not like that the world was in ruins yet she goes weak at the knees around the first good looking man she sees. Secondly I did not understand why she waited so long to rescue her brother which makes her seem weak compared to Penryn from Angelfall. I liked Zombie better as while he made a lot of mistakes, he tried to learn from them and I can empathise with his guilt.

I enjoyed The 5th Wave and would recommend it to fans of Angelfall by Susan Ee.

5.0 out of 5 stars Now I'm hooked, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
This was the first Rick Yancey book that I have read, and as a 69 year old I am probably way outside the normal "demographic" of the target audience. However I am pleased to say that I enjoyed every page and have pre-ordered the sequel.
The entire concept is massive in scale whilst the characters really drew me in, I almost shouted at my Kindle during the last escape piece( not a good idea for an old guy sitting on a crowded train)

As an avid reader I now find myself in the great position of finding an author new to me with a considerable number of books to go back and enjoy.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic, 13 April 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
Could not put this one down.
Thought the theme was good.
Liked the layout of the story.
So looking forward to the follow on book.

5.0 out of 5 stars not waving but drowning......, 7 April 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
What makes a great story? Not the label, not the window dressing, not the hype.... But the quality of the storytelling and the depth of the plot. Rick Yancy's has both of these in spadefuls. The fifth wave may follow a familiar line.... Aliens are among us.... How do you know who to trust, what will they do, can humanity fight back etc... But these are not dumb aliens with superpowers and technology......well yes, they do have the technology, no these aliens have been waiting and planning their attack for a very very long time....... They have anticipated and planned for all responses..... Or nearly all....

This, the first in a trilogy ends on a cliff hanger leaving me desperate to find out what happens next.... So altogether 5 stars for plot, 5 stars for storytelling, 5 stars for creating characters I can believe in and care about. This may be sold as YA fiction..... Which indeed it is.... But it certainly will appeal to anyone who loves sci fi and a good story.

4.0 out of 5 stars Good story shame about the book's manufacture, 24 Mar 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Paperback)
I enjoyed the book but was very disappointed that it is falling apart after one reading. I wanted to return it to Amazon but had it for too long before reading it and so the 'returns window' has expired. Multiple pages are not properly stuck in the final quarter of the book. I am a very careful user, work in a school library and this book has never even been on the shelf, but it is in a plastic jacket. I want to buy the sequel in the summer but am thinking twice about it. Bad service Amazon that there is not an option to return an item that is made badly after your returns window.

5.0 out of 5 stars The 5th wave, 23 Mar 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
Great writing. The characters are believable and the author really manages to portray what living through this destruction of humanity is like for them. Their stories draw you in and keeps you wanting to know more. A real page turner!

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow!, 23 Mar 2014
Paula Mc (Glasgow, Scotland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
'The 5th Wave' is the story of the invasion of Earth and Earth fight against their invaders. The story begins with Cassie, a survivor who has witnessed all the waves, watched her parents died and her brother being taken from her, now she stays as hidden as she can and has learned that she can not trust anyone.

Cassie is a fantastic character, she was brave and stubborn. I loved her insights, despite the seriousness of some situations she finds humour, a way to hide her true feelings. I also liked Evan, a brooding character who was likeable.

I enjoyed 'The 5th Wave' from start to finish, what a brilliant story, it was inventive, shocking, kept me on the edge of my seat. There were parts which were sad to read, children being trained to fight against their enemies, children who have not reached their teenage years yet.

I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series in May of this year.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brlliant sci-fi., 19 Mar 2014
This review is from: The 5th Wave (Kindle Edition)
Sort of book you cannot put down until you have finished it. The main character Cassie becomes very real, and the circumstances of a decimated world is fascinating

ARRAY(0xb5a1680c)

The 5th Wave
The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey (Paperback - 7 May 2013)
3.85