7,255
The Fault in Our Stars
Format: PaperbackChange
Price:£3.59+Free shipping with Amazon Prime

on 5 January 2014
Let me start out by saying that this book ripped my heart from my chest, crumpled it and then proceeded to throw it on the ground and trample on it in the most beautiful way imaginable.
I was slightly hesitant going into this book as I don't read many contemporary novels, and it was so hyped up by both friends and reviews I've read/seen about it that I was sure I was in for some major disappointment.
I couldn't have been more wrong. John Green's writing is something I rarely find, the kind where I never stumble over a word in mid-sentence because it flows so perfectly. The story itself was just phenomenal. I fell in love with the characters, I laughed at the dark humor, I cried continuously for a good five or six chapters and no word of a lie I have never cried at a book before (I tend to have somewhat of an ice heart).
Please, please do not be put off by the hype this book has received, it truly is warranted, and even if, like me, you don't tend to read much contemporary give it a go. This is one of those books that I feel pretty much most people could find enjoyment in. I already have a list of friends and family members that I will be loaning this book to because in my humble opinion everyone needs to experience the flawlessness that is The Fault in Our Stars.
A.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
Sorry, we failed to record your vote. Please try again
I have to admit, even though I'd heard this book was really good, the thought of a young adult novel about teenagers with cancer didn't hugely appeal to me. My initial reactions were also somewhat less than stellar - everyone talks in a razor-sharp, ultra witty way that feels straight out of an Aaron Sorkin or Diablo Cody movie and not even remotely how any 16 or 17 year old I know speaks. I feared that it was going to be all style without substance, bouncing along until a requisite tearjearking conclusion.

I was wrong.

This is a book peopled with a group of characters that you really care about. At its core are the star-crossed lovers, Hazel (with terminal cancer) and Augustus (a cancer survivor). They meet at a cancer support group and become close, despite Hazel's desire to avoid becoming a "grenade" in anybody's life - by which she means someone who will unwittingly cause significant hurt through their passing. They are fantastically loveable characters, who flit between deep conversations about the meaning of life and finding refuge in video games and reality TV shows. I loved them both. Still do.

But the book is more than that. It's about coming to terms with the fact that your life will almost certainly never rise above insignificance - yes, you will matter to your family and friends, hey maybe even write a few reviews that people like on Amazon, but ultimately you probably won't make any life changing impact on the world. It's about the way we shrink from people with terminal disease only to laud them when they pass. It's about the impact that terminal diseases have on the families of those left behind. It's about teenagers growing up and learning to take responsibility for their own lives, defining themselves by who they are not what disease they may have.

I don't know if there's anything life changing here, but it's definitely a moving, entertaining and thought provoking book. Pretty hard combination to pull off. Kudos to John Green.
22 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 26 October 2014
A copy of ‘The Fault in our Stars’ by John Green was given to me to read by my fourteen year old granddaughter who had seen the film, read the book and was truly captivated. She is not an avid reader and I am grateful to the author for producing a novel that captured her attention and I hope this will be the start of a long ‘love affair’ with the written word.

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ had been on my reading list for some time. Initially recommended by Richard & Judy Book Club and was the ‘Spring 2013 Book Club Winner.’

It has been almost thirty years since I spent Friday evenings with my two daughters watching ‘weepy videos’ whilst eating crisps and ice cream. I must admit since then I steer clear of them, finding them too slushy, sentimental and predictable.

Predominately a Young Adult writer, John Green has written a story that deftly crosses all generations.
I was initially hesitant about reading this book having recently failed to complete a novel about teenagers, believing that at sixty two, I was ‘over the hill’ to appreciate a story involving young girls with a youthful outlook and mannerisms.
How wrong I was!!! ‘A Fault in Our Stars’ quickly became compulsive reading.

Hazel Grace has terminal cancer. When her mother insists she needs to ‘get out of the house and mix with people’ Hazel attends a Cancer Kid Support Group. There she meets Augustus Waters and they fall in love.

Theirs is a poignant love story, it is sad and may make you cry at times however it must be said that it is also touching, funny, uplifting, life affirming and will make you question your own beliefs regarding terminal illness and death, loss and grief.

Although you virtually know the end from the start – this is not a depressing story.
It is about terminal illness and its’ affects on the victims and those closest to them.
‘A Fault in Our Stars’ is a well written, quick, easy read, packed with dark humour.

This is a story suitable for all ages, even if you are ‘not into’ weepy tales, this will surely touch your heart.

Sometimes one needs to read outside their favoured genre/comfort zone to enable a truly unique experience.

On exploring the reviews there appears to be a relatively large amount of young adults who loved this book and anything that encourages young people to embrace the ‘written word’ has a ‘thumbs up’ from me.
11 commentWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 February 2014
This is the third John Green novel I’ve read, and it’s definitely my favourite. As a character, Hazel captivated me from the start. She’s been terminally ill for several years, so her attitude towards life is intriguing, insightful and believable. Augustus didn’t resonate with me quite so much. He’s a little less believable – perhaps a bit overly extrovert. Nevertheless, I still understood why Hazel was so drawn to him.

The Fault in Our Stars is a quick read; I finished it within a day or two. That’s thanks to its addictive storyline and John Green’s smooth writing style that lets you forget the words and see the world beyond them instead. The direction of storyline isn’t as straight forward as I thought it would be when I first began reading, and I loved that about it. I did figure it out quite early on, but it didn’t matter.

Strangely, considering how much of an emotional wreck I can be, I didn’t actually cry while reading The Fault in Our Stars, which is a bit disappointing. I felt utterly sad, of course, but the lack of real tears tells me that my connection with the characters and their lives was not quite strong enough. I would have liked to have been pulled just a little further into the story, and I think that it was my faltering belief in Augustus that stopped me. I would have benefitted from a better understanding of Augustus, I think, but I just couldn’t quite get to grips with his personality.

That said, I’d recommend The Fault in Our Stars to everyone. It reminds you how precious life is, and how lucky we are to be healthy. It reminds you to take every opportunity you get, and I love that about it. I’m sure The Fault in Our Stars will stay with me for a long time, and I’d be tempted to revisit it again in the future if I feel like I’m forgetting.
on 15 January 2013
Hazel was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer at the age of thirteen. Three years later the disease is being kept at bay indefinitely thanks to an experimental new drug. Her days are spent carting her oxygen tank between college, home, and Cancer Kid Support Group. Her treatment regime means that she has little time for friends her own age, and besides, now that she's a Cancer Kid most of them don't know how to behave around her anyway. So she is intrigued to say the least when an attractive and witty young man named Augustus Waters turns up unexpectedly at support group one week.

The predominant niggle that stopped me from really losing myself in this book is that Hazel and Gus just don't come across as realistic teenagers at all. They both have this incredibly verbose, Dawson's Creek-esque way of speaking that is laden with cheesy metaphors. The whole thing is narrated by Hazel, and the insight that that gives into her thought processes and inner dialogue makes her just about relatable, but Augustus feels like he's reading from a script the whole time. I had this sense that for every frank exchange of emotions between them, they had spent five minutes flipping through a thesaurus beforehand. I found this really annoying to the point that it prevented me from becoming emotionally invested with either of the characters.

What it does really well is illustrates how immensely trying it must be to be a sick teenager, be it with cancer or any chronic disease. I believe John Green drew on his experiences of working as a chaplain at a childrens' hospital to write the novel, and he has certainly made plenty of astute and unsentimental observations about the realities of living with illness. At just the age when you should be finding your independence and forging a groove for yourself in the world, you are forced to rely more heavily on the adults around you than ever. A 16-year-old in the UK is legally allowed to get married or join the army but when it comes to making decisions about their own healthcare the law is complex. They can give consent to medical care but if they want to refuse a particular treatment their wishes can be overridden by their parents or doctors. It's no wonder that Hazel talks about herself and her fellow Cancer Kids as feeling experimented on. And she's got the extra burden of guilt of knowing that her parents have to forgo treats and holidays because of the costs of her medication and care.

The tragic relationship between Hazel and Augustus is what this book is all about - there's a slightly strange side-story about taking a trip to Amsterdam to meet Hazel's favourite author, but other than that there is not much plot to speak of. It's for that reason that I think so much of a reader's enjoyment of this novel will depend on their own personal world view and experiences of cancer, illness, and losing loved ones. The subject matter is so emotive that it's bound to provoke an almost visceral response that runs much deeper than any assessment of the words on the page. It wasn't for me, but you can't argue with the widespread acclaim it has received that shows it has tugged on the heart-strings of many.
55 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...
on 2 July 2014
My main concern regarding The Fault in Our Stars was that it would not – or perhaps could not – live up to the myriad of glowing reviews streaming from pretty much every kind of media at the moment. When a book elicits over three thousand five star Amazon reviews, one’s initial expectations are set just a little bit high; my cynicism radar, however, was coolly informing me that I was unlikely to experience the somewhat clichéd and melodramatic revelations that so many reviews have promised. I didn’t think that I would Laugh and Cry and then Laugh Some More, or Be Profoundly Affected, or even Have My Mind Opened – namely because this is a New York Times bestseller we’re talking about, not an encounter with a religious deity or a trip to space.

Having now finished the book, I’m not ashamed to admit that some of my preconceptions were very wrong, although this is namely because my core ones were probably right. The premise of TFIOS has been run through so many times in other reviews that I won’t say much about the storyline here; it should suffice to say that the narrative follows Hazel, our endearingly honest 16-year-old narrator who also happens to have cancer, after she meets the implausibly named Augustus Waters at Cancer Support Group. The book itself is generally not, contrary to what I had expected, clichéd or particularly unoriginal; indeed, Green seems acutely aware of the ‘conventions of the cancer kid genre’, seeking to slalom around them and redefine the genre so as to make it more believable and true to the often less polarised realities of cancer.

Green crafts, through Hazel’s narrative voice, a gritty and frank narrative without being depressing or disinteresting, and he tackles this tricky balance admirably well. My main reservation is that, in attempting to be different and original, Green sometimes swerves too far from the conventional and ends up careering into the realms of either the entirely implausible or the (perhaps worse) trying-too-hard-to-be-quirky. I did, for instance, find certain aspects of Augustus Waters unconvincing and irritating, namely his stilted ‘kooky’ dialogue style – e.g. “’Hazel and I are going to watch V for Vendetta for she can see her filmic doppelganger, mid-two thousands Natalie Portman’” – which might have been endearing if it wasn’t such a frequent occurrence. In trying so hard to make Augustus different, Green ends up inadvertently creating precisely what he was presumably attempting to avoid; an artificial character nearly as difficult for the reader to believe (and thus attach to) as the implausibly stoic and two-dimensional cancer kids inhabiting the more clichéd realms of the genre.

I’d encourage those with a penchant for light-hearted and optimistic reads to give TFIOS a go; there’s very little to lose – the book is easy to read and not a huge time investment, and whilst I personally wouldn’t say that it’s a life changer, it’s certainly satisfying and entertaining. Overall, Green takes a big step towards refining a difficult and often frustratingly unoriginal genre – and for that, he is to be commended.
TOP 1000 REVIEWERon 7 February 2014
You think you've read/seen it all before - two precocious teenagers with cancer falling in love sounds a bit too familiar ("My Sister's Keeper", "Now Is Good"), but the latest book by John Green (and somewhat typical of him) still stands out.

Now that I read it, finally, after hype about it died out (on holidays, in one morning, shedding silent tears in the end), I think "The Fault In Our Stars" is very worth reading. You will appreciate discovering for yourself the witty and loveable and beautifully drawn characters who you will love and deeply care about. I did, anyway.

"The Fault In Our Stars" is the novel about acceptance, about significance of life and love and connection between people, the importance of family, full of characters whose personalities shine through the pages and reach out to you (a word of warning: perhaps it will take you some time to fall in love with them, but you will!).

And it is not just a cancer book. It's a great love story with the beginning, the full on romance and the climax.

The book snaps, every page is full of electrifying dialogue which might feel occasionally a bit childish (okay, young adult), but is really enjoyable barter nonetheless. The dialogues change from being simple and funny to the full on contemplation of life.
And these somewhat unreal dialogues for 16 years old (e.g. when Gus declares his love to Hazel) bothered me a bit. All the witty dialogues (and the paragraph-length monologues!), all the philosophising, however enjoyable, are not what you would expect of teenagers...

But who cares? John Green makes you laugh in the most wonderful way, in rather unexpected places of the narrative. The other thing I'm prepared to overlook is the whole Peter Van Houten obsession, although the book he wrote sounds really good, with the superb twist in the ending. "The Fault In Our Stars" has its own twist, of course, which you kinda have to expect. The book is not perfect. The plot and the inevitable twist are both a bit predictable. In any case, despite my minor disagreements with the style of writing, I found this book a good and heartfelt love story (it's not a simple coming of age book). And not only for young adults. If you are a sucker for romance (and I mean it good-heartedly) - read it! I am sure it won't leave you disappointed, teary-eyed, maybe, but also somewhat elated and thoughtful and thankful of all the good things you have in life.
on 31 January 2014
“The Fault in Our Stars” written by John Green is a novel that will make you smile to tears and sadden you, a story that strikes right at the heart where it will remain long after you close its covers.

The novel main character, girl named Hazel is sixteen years old, suffers from a malignant tumor and very short life remains in front of her. And after a medical miracle happens Hazel will get the chance to live longer than anyone had hoped, a few years that will give her a chance to feel at least a little bit of teenage life.

Hazel will start going to meetings of Cancer Kid Support Group to meet kids who share the same problems and fears, in order to more easily accept the difficult and inevitable destiny before her.

There she will meet Augustus, guy a year older than her, who defeated a sinister disease, but lost his leg. And although Hazel did not want that to happen because she is afraid that due to this she will suffer even more, the two of them will gradually become closer, first as best friends, and then a step further.

Even though before her is battle that she has no chance of winning, Hazel will for the first time in her life feel immense happiness, will feel what it means to love sincerely, aware at all times that every day in front of her may be the last in which she will be with the one she loves more than anything…

“The Fault in Our Stars” is an emotional story told in a wonderful way that will touch everyone who will come to its last page; and although it may be objected in some moments it's a bit unrealistic in terms of thinking, speech and behavior of young people in those age, the overall impression of Green’s novel is that this is an smart, convincing and realistic work that everyone should read.

The end of the novel is very emotional and do not be surprised if you are like many readers worldwide wipe away the tears because no matter as much as we are taught that fairy tales do not happen in everyday life, Hazel and Augustus in a short time that they spent together wrote one.

John Green wrote a novel that once you’ll read it will become the standard by which to measure how much you’re touched by some novel, and it’s difficult to give a better recommendation.
on 18 August 2014
I picked this up because I'd seen everyone was reading it. The book isn't dreadful, but it didn't do it for me because;

- I'm not a huge fan of the YA genre, I didn't know what the book was about when I picked it up
- Characters are unrelatable and pretentious. They don't speak or act like ordinary teenagers.
- Didn't know the book was about struggling with cancer. Someone close to me is currently undergoing treatment and it hit a little close to home.

However it's easy to read and you do feel like you want to get to the end, at any rate.
on 12 January 2012
This is John Green at his best and oh is that good. The characters are beautifully drawn and heartbreakingly realistic, Hazel Lancaster doesn't represent anything and her suffering and that of her peers isn't meant to make any kind of point. It's just what it is, suffering. Equally so Hazel is simply Hazel, a girl who watches really trashy TV and loves long novels and poetry.

In being just an ordinary teenage girl she really fancies a boy and here is where we come across Augustus Waters, the boy who clenches death itself between his teeth just to prove it doesn't own him.

Through these two characters we are shown every agonizing moment of living with cancer and the fight not only to carry on living but to stop it from consuming your mind and your personality. The book seems to pose the question, if your entire personality has become nothing but the need to fight and survive cancer and there is no longer room for joy or even love, then in what way is that living?.

A large part of this struggle takes place within family circles, the parallel desperation and monotony of having a child with cancer is skilfully and subtly made evident by Green.

Ultimately Green strives to portray his characters not as those fighting cancer are often shown, forced into playing the role of brave and wise soldiers stoically enduring untold suffering. He shows them as they truly are, just people, beautiful wonderful people but people none the less. They have no choice but to keep fighting because they are given no other option and because to admit defeat means death.

It is not their struggle that defines them but who they are in spite of it, managing to live and to love and even have fun and laugh. They use every moment given to them in the most beautiful way possible and that is what makes them exceptional.

P.S. I didn't get a signed copy and I couldn't care less.
33 commentsWas this review helpful to you?YesNoSending feedback...