6,649 Reviews
 (5,342)

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault in Our Stars
Let me start out by saying that this book ripped my heart from my chest, crumpled it and then proceeded to throw it on the ground and trample on it in the most beautiful way imaginable.
Published 12 months ago by Alexandra

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings
Published on 15 Jan. 2013 by Marie

5.0 out of 5 stars The Fault in Our Stars, 5 Jan. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
I was slightly hesitant going into this book as I don't read many contemporary novels, and it was so hyped up by both friends and reviews I've read/seen about it that I was sure I was in for some major disappointment.
I couldn't have been more wrong. John Green's writing is something I rarely find, the kind where I never stumble over a word in mid-sentence because it flows so perfectly. The story itself was just phenomenal. I fell in love with the characters, I laughed at the dark humor, I cried continuously for a good five or six chapters and no word of a lie I have never cried at a book before (I tend to have somewhat of an ice heart).
Please, please do not be put off by the hype this book has received, it truly is warranted, and even if, like me, you don't tend to read much contemporary give it a go. This is one of those books that I feel pretty much most people could find enjoyment in. I already have a list of friends and family members that I will be loaning this book to because in my humble opinion everyone needs to experience the flawlessness that is The Fault in Our Stars.
A.

4.0 out of 5 stars Put aside any resistance, this is worth reading, 26 May 2012
Julia Flyte - See all my reviews
(TOP 100 REVIEWER)
I have to admit, even though I'd heard this book was really good, the thought of a young adult novel about teenagers with cancer didn't hugely appeal to me. My initial reactions were also somewhat less than stellar - everyone talks in a razor-sharp, ultra witty way that feels straight out of an Aaron Sorkin or Diablo Cody movie and not even remotely how any 16 or 17 year old I know speaks. I feared that it was going to be all style without substance, bouncing along until a requisite tearjearking conclusion.

I was wrong.

This is a book peopled with a group of characters that you really care about. At its core are the star-crossed lovers, Hazel (with terminal cancer) and Augustus (a cancer survivor). They meet at a cancer support group and become close, despite Hazel's desire to avoid becoming a "grenade" in anybody's life - by which she means someone who will unwittingly cause significant hurt through their passing. They are fantastically loveable characters, who flit between deep conversations about the meaning of life and finding refuge in video games and reality TV shows. I loved them both. Still do.

But the book is more than that. It's about coming to terms with the fact that your life will almost certainly never rise above insignificance - yes, you will matter to your family and friends, hey maybe even write a few reviews that people like on Amazon, but ultimately you probably won't make any life changing impact on the world. It's about the way we shrink from people with terminal disease only to laud them when they pass. It's about the impact that terminal diseases have on the families of those left behind. It's about teenagers growing up and learning to take responsibility for their own lives, defining themselves by who they are not what disease they may have.

I don't know if there's anything life changing here, but it's definitely a moving, entertaining and thought provoking book. Pretty hard combination to pull off. Kudos to John Green.

4.0 out of 5 stars A POIGNANT LOVE STORY, 26 Oct. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
A copy of ‘The Fault in our Stars’ by John Green was given to me to read by my fourteen year old granddaughter who had seen the film, read the book and was truly captivated. She is not an avid reader and I am grateful to the author for producing a novel that captured her attention and I hope this will be the start of a long ‘love affair’ with the written word.

‘The Fault in Our Stars’ had been on my reading list for some time. Initially recommended by Richard & Judy Book Club and was the ‘Spring 2013 Book Club Winner.’

It has been almost thirty years since I spent Friday evenings with my two daughters watching ‘weepy videos’ whilst eating crisps and ice cream. I must admit since then I steer clear of them, finding them too slushy, sentimental and predictable.

Predominately a Young Adult writer, John Green has written a story that deftly crosses all generations.
I was initially hesitant about reading this book having recently failed to complete a novel about teenagers, believing that at sixty two, I was ‘over the hill’ to appreciate a story involving young girls with a youthful outlook and mannerisms.
How wrong I was!!! ‘A Fault in Our Stars’ quickly became compulsive reading.

Hazel Grace has terminal cancer. When her mother insists she needs to ‘get out of the house and mix with people’ Hazel attends a Cancer Kid Support Group. There she meets Augustus Waters and they fall in love.

Theirs is a poignant love story, it is sad and may make you cry at times however it must be said that it is also touching, funny, uplifting, life affirming and will make you question your own beliefs regarding terminal illness and death, loss and grief.

Although you virtually know the end from the start – this is not a depressing story.
It is about terminal illness and its’ affects on the victims and those closest to them.
‘A Fault in Our Stars’ is a well written, quick, easy read, packed with dark humour.

This is a story suitable for all ages, even if you are ‘not into’ weepy tales, this will surely touch your heart.

Sometimes one needs to read outside their favoured genre/comfort zone to enable a truly unique experience.

On exploring the reviews there appears to be a relatively large amount of young adults who loved this book and anything that encourages young people to embrace the ‘written word’ has a ‘thumbs up’ from me.

5.0 out of 5 stars Heartbreaking, 2 Feb. 2014
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
This is the third John Green novel I’ve read, and it’s definitely my favourite. As a character, Hazel captivated me from the start. She’s been terminally ill for several years, so her attitude towards life is intriguing, insightful and believable. Augustus didn’t resonate with me quite so much. He’s a little less believable – perhaps a bit overly extrovert. Nevertheless, I still understood why Hazel was so drawn to him.

The Fault in Our Stars is a quick read; I finished it within a day or two. That’s thanks to its addictive storyline and John Green’s smooth writing style that lets you forget the words and see the world beyond them instead. The direction of storyline isn’t as straight forward as I thought it would be when I first began reading, and I loved that about it. I did figure it out quite early on, but it didn’t matter.

Strangely, considering how much of an emotional wreck I can be, I didn’t actually cry while reading The Fault in Our Stars, which is a bit disappointing. I felt utterly sad, of course, but the lack of real tears tells me that my connection with the characters and their lives was not quite strong enough. I would have liked to have been pulled just a little further into the story, and I think that it was my faltering belief in Augustus that stopped me. I would have benefitted from a better understanding of Augustus, I think, but I just couldn’t quite get to grips with his personality.

That said, I’d recommend The Fault in Our Stars to everyone. It reminds you how precious life is, and how lucky we are to be healthy. It reminds you to take every opportunity you get, and I love that about it. I’m sure The Fault in Our Stars will stay with me for a long time, and I’d be tempted to revisit it again in the future if I feel like I’m forgetting.

3.0 out of 5 stars Mixed feelings, 15 Jan. 2013
Marie (Manchester, UK) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
Hazel was diagnosed with metastatic thyroid cancer at the age of thirteen. Three years later the disease is being kept at bay indefinitely thanks to an experimental new drug. Her days are spent carting her oxygen tank between college, home, and Cancer Kid Support Group. Her treatment regime means that she has little time for friends her own age, and besides, now that she's a Cancer Kid most of them don't know how to behave around her anyway. So she is intrigued to say the least when an attractive and witty young man named Augustus Waters turns up unexpectedly at support group one week.

The predominant niggle that stopped me from really losing myself in this book is that Hazel and Gus just don't come across as realistic teenagers at all. They both have this incredibly verbose, Dawson's Creek-esque way of speaking that is laden with cheesy metaphors. The whole thing is narrated by Hazel, and the insight that that gives into her thought processes and inner dialogue makes her just about relatable, but Augustus feels like he's reading from a script the whole time. I had this sense that for every frank exchange of emotions between them, they had spent five minutes flipping through a thesaurus beforehand. I found this really annoying to the point that it prevented me from becoming emotionally invested with either of the characters.

What it does really well is illustrates how immensely trying it must be to be a sick teenager, be it with cancer or any chronic disease. I believe John Green drew on his experiences of working as a chaplain at a childrens' hospital to write the novel, and he has certainly made plenty of astute and unsentimental observations about the realities of living with illness. At just the age when you should be finding your independence and forging a groove for yourself in the world, you are forced to rely more heavily on the adults around you than ever. A 16-year-old in the UK is legally allowed to get married or join the army but when it comes to making decisions about their own healthcare the law is complex. They can give consent to medical care but if they want to refuse a particular treatment their wishes can be overridden by their parents or doctors. It's no wonder that Hazel talks about herself and her fellow Cancer Kids as feeling experimented on. And she's got the extra burden of guilt of knowing that her parents have to forgo treats and holidays because of the costs of her medication and care.

The tragic relationship between Hazel and Augustus is what this book is all about - there's a slightly strange side-story about taking a trip to Amsterdam to meet Hazel's favourite author, but other than that there is not much plot to speak of. It's for that reason that I think so much of a reader's enjoyment of this novel will depend on their own personal world view and experiences of cancer, illness, and losing loved ones. The subject matter is so emotive that it's bound to provoke an almost visceral response that runs much deeper than any assessment of the words on the page. It wasn't for me, but you can't argue with the widespread acclaim it has received that shows it has tugged on the heart-strings of many.

5.0 out of 5 stars Faultless, 13 Nov. 2014
This is the first John Green book I've had the pleasure of reading, and if the rest are ever half as good as this one I'm going to be in heaven. About 5 years ago an ex of mine recommended me Looking for Alaska . I never got around to reading it while we were together and when we split I tried to avoid everything that reminded me of them as much as possible. I wish I hadn't. This book has had me laughing, crying and begging to know what happened next. I had it for a few days on my Kindle and when I was looking for something new to read I thought I would give it a shot, well my Kindle hardly left my hand that day haha.

The book is based on real situations, heartbreaking situations but real. And yet John Green still has the power to put humour in there, young love and adventure. Even though Hazel & Augustus are both riddled with cancer some how they never let it beat them. They don't cut themselves of from the world just waiting to die and expecting people to feel sorry for them, they just in a way get on with it.

This book is wonderful. Just wonderful, and as a first John Green book for me I've got to say, I've caught the bug haha. His ability to attach you to his characters is something I haven't seen in a long time. They are intelligent, inspirational and insightful. Not only are the main characters well written and thought out but any of the characters that pop in and out of the book also , along with Hazel & Gus, will pop in and out of your heart.

In all honesty, I'm not sure what to say about this book that hasn't already been said. There isn't much I can say because everyone will feel something different while reading it. So I'll leave you with something Hazel said instead, in hope that it will show you why myself like so many others find it hard to say anything other than "perfection" about this book :).

“Sometimes, you read a book and it fills you with this weird evangelical zeal, and you become convinced that the shattered world will never be put back together unless and until all living humans read the book. And then there are books…which you can’t tell people about, books so special and rare and yours that advertising your affection feels like a betrayal.”

5.0 out of 5 stars Story that strikes right at the heart where it will remain long after you close its covers, 31 Jan. 2014
Denis Vukosav - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Fault in Our Stars (Paperback)
“The Fault in Our Stars” written by John Green is a novel that will make you smile to tears and sadden you, a story that strikes right at the heart where it will remain long after you close its covers.

The novel main character, girl named Hazel is sixteen years old, suffers from a malignant tumor and very short life remains in front of her. And after a medical miracle happens Hazel will get the chance to live longer than anyone had hoped, a few years that will give her a chance to feel at least a little bit of teenage life.

Hazel will start going to meetings of Cancer Kid Support Group to meet kids who share the same problems and fears, in order to more easily accept the difficult and inevitable destiny before her.

There she will meet Augustus, guy a year older than her, who defeated a sinister disease, but lost his leg. And although Hazel did not want that to happen because she is afraid that due to this she will suffer even more, the two of them will gradually become closer, first as best friends, and then a step further.

Even though before her is battle that she has no chance of winning, Hazel will for the first time in her life feel immense happiness, will feel what it means to love sincerely, aware at all times that every day in front of her may be the last in which she will be with the one she loves more than anything…

“The Fault in Our Stars” is an emotional story told in a wonderful way that will touch everyone who will come to its last page; and although it may be objected in some moments it's a bit unrealistic in terms of thinking, speech and behavior of young people in those age, the overall impression of Green’s novel is that this is an smart, convincing and realistic work that everyone should read.

The end of the novel is very emotional and do not be surprised if you are like many readers worldwide wipe away the tears because no matter as much as we are taught that fairy tales do not happen in everyday life, Hazel and Augustus in a short time that they spent together wrote one.

John Green wrote a novel that once you’ll read it will become the standard by which to measure how much you’re touched by some novel, and it’s difficult to give a better recommendation.

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring!!! Very Disappointing, 18 Jan. 2015
After reading all the 5 * reviews, and after watching the film, I couldn't wait to get the kids to bed and get sat down to read this in peace. The film was by far one of the saddest films i have ever watched, truly an amazing film. Unfortunately though, the Book is probably one of the most boring books i have ever read! I was really struggling about a quarter of the way through, but i persevered as i kept telling myself it would get better. However, i did finish it and was so disappointed. I think alot of these 5* are being based on the actual film, and not the book which is totally misleading.

I certainly wouldn't recommend this to anyone. The film yes, but not the book.

5.0 out of 5 stars AMAZE, 23 Aug. 2014
This is one of my favourite books ever. It is about a girl named Hazel Grace Lancaster and her battle with Cancer. It shows exactly how life is like battling cancer, like how you are scared that when you die your parents won't have a chance at another life and how you have to do things you don't want to but you still try to have a normal life. Hazel has to go to support group where she meets Augustus Waters and they fall in love. I think that it is very honest and hard hitting and quite sad so it might not be for you. I think this book deserves 5 stars because it is IMPOSSIBLE to put down.

If you like this book I would recommend books such as Wonder and Looking For Alaska

5.0 out of 5 stars As Emotionally Devastating As It Is Exquisitely Written, 12 Jan. 2012
This is John Green at his best and oh is that good. The characters are beautifully drawn and heartbreakingly realistic, Hazel Lancaster doesn't represent anything and her suffering and that of her peers isn't meant to make any kind of point. It's just what it is, suffering. Equally so Hazel is simply Hazel, a girl who watches really trashy TV and loves long novels and poetry.

In being just an ordinary teenage girl she really fancies a boy and here is where we come across Augustus Waters, the boy who clenches death itself between his teeth just to prove it doesn't own him.

Through these two characters we are shown every agonizing moment of living with cancer and the fight not only to carry on living but to stop it from consuming your mind and your personality. The book seems to pose the question, if your entire personality has become nothing but the need to fight and survive cancer and there is no longer room for joy or even love, then in what way is that living?.

A large part of this struggle takes place within family circles, the parallel desperation and monotony of having a child with cancer is skilfully and subtly made evident by Green.

Ultimately Green strives to portray his characters not as those fighting cancer are often shown, forced into playing the role of brave and wise soldiers stoically enduring untold suffering. He shows them as they truly are, just people, beautiful wonderful people but people none the less. They have no choice but to keep fighting because they are given no other option and because to admit defeat means death.

It is not their struggle that defines them but who they are in spite of it, managing to live and to love and even have fun and laugh. They use every moment given to them in the most beautiful way possible and that is what makes them exceptional.

P.S. I didn't get a signed copy and I couldn't care less.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars by John Green (Paperback - 3 Jan. 2013)