5.0 out of 5 stars Still Colfer
Published 12 months ago by Amazon Customer

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, Gory, not for me
I got an e-copy of this through NetGalley to review.
Published 19 months ago by Barmy_Bex

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Still Colfer, 7 Dec 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1) (Hardcover)
I didn't purchase this book from Amazon, I brought it when Eoin Colfer came to our school! I must say that I am a huge Colfer fan, having read all the Artemis Fowl books (which I own), Half Moon Investigations, The Ledgend of... books and The Wish List. This book, although not as good as Artemis Fowl, was a very intricately weaved web of mystery, murder and fun! I really enjoyed the character of Chevron (Chevie) Sevano - the young FBI agent, who always seemed to get into trouble. She's a brilliant character full of sarchasm, a bit like Mulch Diggums, the dwarf in the Artemis Fowl series. Overall, this book is an excellent read for Colfer fans. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!

5.0 out of 5 stars Awesome!, 17 Jan 2014
This review is from: The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1) (Hardcover)
I must say I was absolutely delighted with this book. We all know that Artemis Fowl is a hard act to follow, but I can't wait for the follow up to this! I loved the characters, especially Riley the orphan waif. What's not to like!
Dodgy FBI members, Victoriana poverty,and best of all TIME TRAVEL-that's me hooked!
Well worth a read folks. :}

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good, 30 Dec 2013
I like it not as good as Artimas Foul but it is still a good book worth buying. If this turns into a series I recommend it

4.0 out of 5 stars Warp factor 9.9!!, 23 Dec 2014
John O'sullivan "narsil" (limerick, ireland) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1) (Hardcover)
After the Artemis fowl fairy magic joyride this book comes as a refreshing change of direction, with pseudo science time machines and under age FBI agents mixed with victorian footpads and demented London magician/ assassins. Chevvie makes for a tough leading lady and Riley a lovable orphan with an interesting skill set.
The book is an easy read, hard to put down with colfers trademark speed of action and genius for detail. Finishing the book leaves you wanting more!, and the untied strings promise a future that won't be tied up in just one or two more books.
Overall a great new start to what feels like a great new series!

2.0 out of 5 stars Confusing, Gory, not for me, 17 May 2013
This review is from: The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1) (Hardcover)
I got an e-copy of this through NetGalley to review.
I read the Artemis Fowl series by Colfer and really enjoyed them so was excited to see what he would do next. I saw this advertised and thought it sounded quite good. I'm never really a fan of time-travel stories but if they are done right I can get by, and besides I love things set in the Victorian era (not sure why but anyway) so I got ready to enjoy this new book.
I have to admit that I didn't particulary enjoy it though. I found the basic plot idea fascinating but it seemed to pass very slowly. I was checking the percentage progress through the book so often I felt like the pages were hardly moving. The set up was good and the whole world is built well, but it then turned into a cat and mouse game. Garrick would chase Riley and Chevie and almost catch them, they would escape at the last minute and he would chase them again, and so on, repeat. Yes the circumstances they escaped from were different but it didn't make much difference to me. I just wanted them to either beat him or be captured and get it over with.
As for the characters, they remained that, characters. Usually when I read I connect to the people and they become real, leaping off the page but these didn't seem to do that, the closest to it happening was Riley, he had a certain charm, he was a loveable rogue. but that wasn't enough to make me really care.
Garrick himself confused me, he went by a few different names, I think! I got muddled with references to things/people and places in the past. Then I wasn't sure if he was jsut a magician or if he actually had special powers or whether he was something worse, Colfer often refers to him as 'it was like the Devil himself was after us'. He had strange skills and would do illusions (which again confused me) and seemed to be able to do things and know things that wasn't normal. Some of it is explained by the process in the Time machine, but the rest was just strange.
Chevie, although written as 17 seemed older to me, she has worldly experience and a sharp tongue and she just read as at least 20. She was a bit moany and irritated me a little bit. I did like the way she takes charge in the 'past' and takes Riley under her wing.
Parts of the book seemed to pick up and I would start to dive in, then I would get turned around or they would run around 'escaping' again and I would sigh.
This book took me the best part of a week for me to read, which for me is really slow, I just didn't feel the need to pick up the book and continue it. Instead of snatching any minute I could to read, i would look for something else to do to put off having to pick it up again.
Maybe it just wasn't the book for me, but I really struggled with it.
I know Colfer is a fab writer, he's shown that before but this time for me it just fell flat.
Also, I'm not sure if this is supposed to be YA or Middle Grade, but it had a lot of gore in it. And I mean a lot, I was shocked by it. There are a lot of deaths and killings but some of them described in more detail than I felt necessary. At one point he describes how to pick the correct knife to kill someone, to make sure it cuts through muscle and bone. That's just gross. I mean there are a lot of books with fighting and blood in, but they are usually against monsters or zombies or something, it's different, not quite as real. I was surprised by it.

Anyway, the idea was good and it had it's moments, but for me this book just didn't make me go WOW.

4.0 out of 5 stars Colfer's next flight of fantasy., 19 Jun 2014
Generally good as are most of Colfer's stories well told and fairly fast moving. More adult than Artemis Fowl, thoroughly enjoyed it as a light and entertaining read.

4.0 out of 5 stars Intriguing start to the new series, 13 Jun 2014
Took a while to get in to but then I was hooked. Hope this series becomes as good as Artemis Fowl, if so we're in for a treat.

5.0 out of 5 stars Move over arty!, 28 May 2014
Best book I've read in a long time.
Artemis fowl was very good this book is as good if not better

5.0 out of 5 stars Fabulous book, 27 May 2014
My Daughter LOVES anything by Eoin Colfer, and this book didn't dissappoint...now to buy the second book in the series!

4.0 out of 5 stars Great book, 10 Feb 2014
i like this book because it has an end type feeling halfway into the book. i found it hard to read at the start with a lot of background info not revealed however once started its hard to put down. i would recommend this book to Artemis Fowl readers. i can easily relate chevron to mix of Holly and Mulch.

this book is also mysterious. a bit darke than AF but dwfintley giving you the sense that you are 1 step in front of the villian an 3 behind the heros.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 4 | Next ›

The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1)
The Reluctant Assassin (WARP Book 1) by Eoin Colfer (Hardcover - 11 April 2013)