5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best
Amazing, fabulous, fantastic, the best Jacqueline Wilson book I've ever read!enchanting for kids of all ages I don't know how Jacqueline Wilson does it!
Published 18 months ago by Jo12

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Idea
I love reworkings of classic books and fairy tales, so jumped immediately at the thought of trying something like this out, especially by one of my favourite authors, Jacqueline Wilson. I enjoyed it, however, I feel that there is an equal amount of bad points to counteract the good ones.

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The Good Points:

1) There was a...
Published 19 months ago by India

5.0 out of 5 stars Best of the best, 9 Feb 2013

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 4 Feb 2013
xenofan "xenofan" (Kansas, USA) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A great idea for those long car journeys. I remember reading this book myself and its lost none of its charm. Certainly a recommended read.

3.0 out of 5 stars A Great Idea, 4 Feb 2013
India (West Yorkshire, England) - See all my reviews
This review is from: Four Children and It (Hardcover)

*SPOILERS AHEAD*

The Good Points:

1) There was a good mixed of language, not just simple "I said this," or "I did that." There were some words in there that I didn't know!
2) The story was simple enough to understand, and had a slightly magical feeling towards it, but complex enough so that children wouldn't get bored. It wasn't written condescendingly, either.
3) You could relate easily to all 4 children. Well, not so much the younger ones, Robbie and Maudie, but definitely Smash and Rosalind.

The Bad Points:

1) I didn't feel as if there was enough reality in there. I know the book is based on a magical creature, but some of the activities and adventures were ridiculous.
2) The plot was aimed at 6-8 year olds, but the actual content was aimed at older children, maybe 10-12. I found myself not knowing who the book was aimed at.
3) I feel that Rosalind wasn't really much of a character in the story, even though it was told in her perspective.

All in all, this book was good, but not anything special.

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic fun, 18 Jan 2013
lilysmum "lilysmum65" (uk) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a really high quality audiobook, telling the modern version of Jacqueline Wilson's Four Children and It. My daughter enjoys listening to audiobooks in bed at night if she can't sleep and she likes this one in particular because she is a Jacqueline Wilson fan and also has Five Children and It on audiobook too. She says she would recommend this audiobook to anyone who likes Jacqueline Wilson. It could be enjoyed by all the family on a car journey if the adults remember reading Five Children and It!

3.0 out of 5 stars a good story, I just wish she'd let a professional read it, 18 Dec 2012
Su (England) - See all my reviews
(TOP 50 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Why is it that some authors decide that they are so fantastic they want to read their own books for the audio version?

I have always maintained that the narrator of an audio book can make or break it, and that even the most fantastic story can be ruined by dreadful narration. In this case the author has decided to narrate her own work and she seems to rush through the work rather than pacing it and subsequently falls over certain words as she goes - also showing that the story needed a "professional" narrator not the author. Don't get me wrong I think that Jacqueline Wilson is a fine writer of children's stories but as a narrator of her own work ... well, maybe next time she might leave it to the professionals.

The Story: Two children, Rosalind and Robbie, are staying with their father and their step family (stepmother Alice, step sister "Smash" and half-sister Maudie). Things are not happy in the step household and tensions are running high between the two families so their Dad decides that they should go for a picnic in the woods. Apparently there is a sand pit in the middle of the woods!

Anyway, while playing in the sandpit the children discover a strange, furry and magical "It".

It's a good story; I just wish that Ms Wilson had let someone else read it instead of thinking that she that she was a jack-of-all-trades.

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant follow on from the classic Five Children and It, 9 Dec 2012
Jayne (London, UK) - See all my reviews
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The audio CD of "Four Children and It", read by the author Jacqueline Wilson, is a brilliant contemporary take on the Edwardian classic "Five Children and It" by E. Nesbit. (Five Children and It (Puffin Classics)) (There are other versions, including an abridged audio CD which we really enjoyed). You do not need to have read the original, but it adds an extra something if you have.

Just as in the original book, the adventure takes place during the long hot summer holidays. The premise of the story is that the children - this time 4 of them from a blended family (sister, brother, half-sister and step-sister) - come across the grumpy sand fairy and recognise it as the Psammead from E. Nesbit's classic, then decide to make their own wishes.

As in the original book, the Psammead is far more literal than the children, which means their wishes can have unintended consequences. What is delicious, as in the original book, is that the Psammead can only grant one wish a day and, once the wish is granted, it really is granted; this requires the children to deliberate carefully over whose wish they should choose that day, and then leaves them stuck with the consequences. The action all takes place in a contemporary setting, skillfully drawn by the author.

At 6 CDS running to over 7 hours this CD would be suitable for very long car journeys or short bursts at bedtime. Children (and adults!) of all ages were entranced by this CD. The reading is clear and engaging, and it does add an extra dimension that the book was read by its author, who is a global superstar amongst children's writers. She has quite a following and, if your child is a fan of the the author, they will get a real thrill out of hearing her read her own book.

For more content about the CD, Jacqueline Wilson and her books, see her bright, informative website.

4.0 out of 5 stars The Children liked this, 8 Dec 2012
Sussman "Sussman" (London CA) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 500 REVIEWER)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a more modern take on the classic Five Children and It novel, by E Nesbit. The story is well grounded illustrating a present day family. This is our first foray into Ms J Wilson's work and both my nephew and niece really loved it and at times were laughing out loud. I am no prude, but some the language I thought was slightly inappropriate, that said the target audience were very happy with audio production, and in their words they recommend it.

5.0 out of 5 stars Love it!, 1 Dec 2012
RJW - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)
My nieces live listening to this in the car.
Jacqueline Wilson is their favourite author, and having one of her stories in Audio form was a real god-send for a recent long car journey.
Found myself actually delaying the arrival time so I could hear the end myself!

5.0 out of 5 stars Four Children and it, 24 Nov 2012
This review is from: Four Children and It (Hardcover)
This item is very good and was despatched very soon after purchase i am completly satisfied with my purchase thankyou

4.0 out of 5 stars 6 x CDs read by Jacqueline Wilson - great entertainment., 15 Nov 2012
JK "Julie K." (UK) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (TOP 50 REVIEWER)
6 x CDs.
Read by: Jacqueline Wilson.
Running Time 7 hours 30 mins.

I enjoyed listening to Four Children and IT. Nothing wrong with modern interpretaion. Jacqueline Wilson hasn't attempted to copy E. Nesbitt's Five Children and IT and has, instead, taken an original concept and made it her own. A refreshing change for a whole new generation of children who might have missed out on the original.

An added bonus to hear Jacqueline Wilson read her own work and she does make a great job of it. Funny, warm and entertaining without too much silliness and no reliance on 'Disney style' sound effects. I do think the running time's too long, over 7 hours, Jacqueline Wilson does tire of her story on occasion. A shorter version would have been better for younger children who have no staying power where audio CDs are concerned and lose interest.

Sound/production quality is excellent throughout the discs.

Four Children and It
Four Children and It by Jacqueline Wilson (Hardcover - 16 Aug 2012)
6.00