Format: Paperback|Change

on 18 February 2016
Because I enjoyed Cinder so much I had really high hopes for Scarlet, unfortunately they did meet the high expectations I had. However I did really enjoy it.

This book we still have Cinder but Scarlet is thrown into the story too. Scarlet's grandmother is missing and Scarlet realises there's a lot about her she still doesn't know. Scarlet meets a wolf and it turns out he may have some information on her grandmother she really doesn't want to trust him but finds herself drawn to him. As the uncover thing the find Cinder and the three of them must stay ahead of Levana who still is set on Marrying Prince Kai.

This book took me longer to read that the first. It struggled to hold my attention in places mostly on the parts about Scarlet. If it hadn't of been for the fact that I was determined to find out what happens and finish the series I would have dropped it. That being said i'm glad i finished it as it picked up towards the end and I'm now looking forwards to the third book.

kymreadsbooks.blogspot.co.uk
on 27 September 2015
This book!!!!!

I read Scarlet within three days and it has been mind-blowing! After Cinder I didn't think the series could get better, however it did! What I really love about the books is the uniqueness that they come with, the author thinks of something so extraordinary and so different it leaves you wanting more and more!

At first I wanted to read about Cinder and her journey more than I did to find out about the new character Scarlet. As the book merges Scarlet and Cinder together, I found it incredibly interesting. This book had so many strong "twists and turns". I was left reading chapter after chapter and I a lot of the time I couldn't put the book down!

Another thing I need to mention is the two male characters. Without giving too much away there is one on Cinder's side and one on Scarlet side. The guys are both brilliant even though they both have equal parts one had me from the moment he spoke!

I highly highly highly recommend this book!!!
Blog Review:
Not gonna lie, I dropped Cinder and picked up Scarlet and read the first line and thought “I don’t care about this person! What’s going on?” Clearly when I had firstly assumed each book was about a different story line I had been correct, right? Wrong! Mostly. The story did continue where Cinder left off, but first we had to catch up on the life of the books’ namesake. I felt a lot happier when I checked the book description and learnt that Cinder and Scarlet were going to team up, cause I hadn’t read that before…(I don’t like to know what happens in a sequel until I’ve read the first one).

Once I got over all that however, I was just as fixated at I was reading Cinder. I felt like I was less interested in Scarlet than I had been in Cinder but I still burnt through this book pretty quickly.
One thing though, if Scarlets hair was curly, there would have been no combing going on!! (I protest this every time I come across it as a person with a head full of curls)
on 5 August 2015
I enjoy this story but not as much as Cinder. I found it hard to connect with Scarlet initially at the beginning since all I was interested in was reading more about Cinder. Also, if you read Cinder, you would have figure out the mystery surrounding the grandma, so waiting for Scarlet to catch up with the readers was a task and took a long time, so up to then the only interesting bits were reading about Cinder and Thorne. And I couldn’t get into the action scenes, it’s not the writer’s greatest strength and I found myself skimming those scenes to the end to see who won or lost.

The book did get more interesting halfway through with Scarlet’s storyline, and I do feel Scarlet and Wolf’s romantic relationship is much better done than Cinder and Kai’s, who I think just comes across more as friends than potential lovers.

Still I enjoyed some of it but not quite as gripping as the first book.
on 13 June 2013
This series (the lunar series is one of the best I have ever read. Although it is a little sci-fi ish at times your forget about that with all the powerful emotion packed plot line.) Empathy is strongly created with the main character. Now I can't stand sci fi ususally but bought this book on a whim and now can not wait until next year when the third book comes out. As I said WOW!! That is all I can describe my thoughts on the book as it so powerful with the underlying foreshadowing of society and then the emotional roller coaster you take with the maiin characters. The only down side, I thought , even though it does make the book all that much better, is the dramatic irony created makes you want to scream at the pages and tell the characters what is really happening. Abolutely fabulous read, so gripping I could not put it down.
on 2 April 2014
I enjoyed Cinder. Obviously, otherwise I wouldn't have bothered picking up the sequel - however, there was something about it that I think felt a little pat for me. I can't quite put my finger on it - maybe it was just that it's aimed at the YA market and it's been a loooooong time since that was me. Despite that, the introduction of new characters and an altogether faster pace in Scarlet had me thoroughly hooked.

I appreciated the ambiguity around Wolf's character and particularly the ways in which Meyer dealt with the more familiar fairy tale aspects of her story, such as Scarlet's grandmother. I also liked that Cinder and Kai were still fully woven into the plot. The more of this series I read, the more I enjoy the sci-fi elements and clever story-telling.
on 5 July 2014
This is one of those series where the books get better as you go along. I loved Cinder, but I love-love Scarlet! There were times when pieces of Cinder came together in this book. Even some loose ends I had no clue were even loosened. I also enjoyed finding out the true meaning behind the covers. Really, every little detail came together for me here. I still love Cinder, the character most. She's the kind of kick-ass heroine I really enjoy reading, or even watching. Yeah, I think this series seriously deserves to be the next Hollywood blockbuster. I can't wait to read Cress now. I'm going to have to though, I only won a copy today. Yay, me!
If for some strange reason you haven't read this series, I urge you to do so.
Although this review will be spoiler free for Scarlet I am working on the assumption that if you're reading this you've already read Cinder. If you haven't then look away now because there will be spoilers ahead if you don't. Now we've got the warning out of the way let's get back to the actual review.

I really enjoyed Cinder when I read it last year so I couldn't wait to get my hands on Scarlet, I knew it would be a great read but it managed to blow me away. If you thought Cinder was good then you've not seen anything yet because Scarlet was absolutely fantastic! Seriously, my only disappointment with this book is that I've got to wait a whole year to get my hands on Cress. Marissa Meyer has masterfully woven two different plot threads so that you get to follow both Cinder and Scarlet on their adventures, although both girls are facing very different challenges the threads eventually weave together as they discover a common enemy.

Cinder was imprisoned as a traitor at the end of the last book and she is awaiting exile to Luna at the order of Queen Levana. She knows that she will be killed if Levana gets her hands on her so her only option is to escape from prison. In hiding and on the run she must try to uncover more about her past to understand why Levana is so threatened by her. I love Cinder, she is so practical and no matter what is thrown at her she uses her brain to find a way around it. She is struggling to accept the discoveries she made in the last book, it has changed everything she thought that she knew about herself and her upbringing but she doesn't sit around moping. Instead she becomes determined to find out who helped to keep her hidden all of these years and just why she was given all her cyborg implants. We don't get to see as much of Kai in this book but Cinder has an unlikely companion to help her with her investigations. Thorne was absolutely brilliant and he added a lot of humour to the story (don't worry though - Marissa Meyer hasn't created yet another YA love triangle for us!). I did miss Kai but we have a few chapters from his POV scattered throughout the book and to be honest I don't think we needed more of his story at the moment.

Our other heroine in this tale is Scarlet, a young pilot who works delivering produce from her grandmother's market to local shops and restaurants. Scarlet's grandmother has been missing for several weeks and she knows that something terrible must have happened to keep her away from her home for so long. The police refuse to investigate thinking that her grandmother has left on her own accord so Scarlet knows that it is up to her to uncover the truth. Scarlet doesn't trust street fighter Wolf but she has good reasons to believe that he can help her find her grandmother so she has no other option but to request his help. The romance that develops between them as they try to track down her grandmother was delightful to watch and I have to admit to swooning over Wolf on more than one occasion! He's definitely my favourite hero of the series so far. As much as I loved Wolf he definitely has a darker side and he is keeping plenty of secrets from everyone around him which makes it hard to decide if he's trustworthy.

I don't want to say too much more about the story other than to tell you to go out and grab a copy immediately. If you enjoyed Cinder you're going to love Scarlet even more and I absolutely can't wait until Cress is published. This is quickly becoming one of my favourite series so if you like fairytale retellings or futuristic science fiction you need to read these books. I'm actually kind of jealous of people who haven't read these books yet because they still get to experience reading them for the first time.
on 8 March 2016
Scarlet revels the background story of Cinder, give us more insight into minds of main characters. Scarlet is amazing strong female character not afraid of speaking up her real feelings. She fights for people she cares about and sees the good in them. Wolf is such twisted character - at first I felt indifferent towards him then I felt anger and then once I understood why hee is the way he is I felt sorry for him. Levana it's the evil one. The book is full of action and I really enjoyed it however Cinder is still my favourite from the series.
on 3 May 2014
I read the first book and couldn't wait for the second one. This book is just as good as the first one which isn't something that always happens when you get a series of books. Marissa Meyer is one of the best authors and I have become obsessed with this series of books. Anyone who has read and enjoyed the Cinder will love this just as much. Marissa has done a fantastic job with putting twist on these classic and loved tales and has created a plot that would keep even non reading lovers entertained! Overall it's an AMAZING book!!!!