5.0 out of 5 stars Cress, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress (Paperback)
Cinder and Thorne are still fugitives from both Luna and Earth forces, and along with Scarlet and Wolf are determined to stop Levana’s wedding to Kai and her plans for Earth. Their best hope is to free Cress, a Luna shell who has been stuck alone in a satellite for 7 years but is an excellent hacker. After Cress’s rescue attempt goes terribly wrong the group are separated, and they have to fight to survive and find each other again to have any hope to overthrow Queen Levana.

Cress is the brilliant third book in the Lunar Chronicles and it is just as good as Cinder and Scarlet, as it was fast paced and never dull. Meyer did a good job with the different POVs as she never focused too much on one character and I never got confused about whose mind we were in. However, while I love this book, it had the feel of a middle book as it was mostly set up for the last book, Winter.

I like how Cinder is surer of herself in this book and is will to risk her life for people she has never met, but she is still trying to deal with the morals of using her powers even for good. I also like how, even though they are miles apart, both Kai and Cinder are struggling with their responsibilities even with fighting again the odds. I really liked Cress as she is a very different person from Cinder or Scarlet as she is very naïve and not confident but gets past this by pretending to be someone else and going into her own imagination.

I did not get on that well with Thorne in Scarlet, however, I really liked him in this book as we get to see how intentionally heroic yet imperfect he is, although he does remind me a lot of Flynn Rider in Tangled. I felt very sorry for Wolf in this book and I missed Scarlet, as even though she is in this book we did not see as much of her as we did in the last book. My favourite character is Iko as she makes me smile and I hope she gets a happy ending.

We get to see a bit of Winter’s character in this book and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next in the last book. I would recommend Cress to people who enjoyed reading the first 2 books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a high standard of quality storytelling., 26 Mar 2014
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)    (REAL NAME)
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress (Paperback)
As the main character in book three of The Lunar Chronicles it seemed that Cress doesn't get quite as much of the novel dedicated just to her as the two previous books have to their characters. That becomes more understandable when you find that Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress along with all their friends (and enemies) have large roles to play in this adventure. Any reader new to the series will definitely want to begin with the first book, The Lunar Chronicles: Cinder, even though author Marissa Meyer has done a really good job of integrating the backstory of all the characters up to this point. Still, the stories of Cinder and Scarlet are so compelling it would be a shame not to read them.

The contrast in personality between Cress and the other characters is starkly drawn. It really was necessary for me to keep reminding myself of what an isolated life Cress had lived for seven years; alone on the satellite with only periodic visits from Mistress Sybil from Lunar to bring supplies and instructions for computer hacking work Cress was to be assigned. All the other characters in this series are either sure of themselves or at least sure of their mission so having Cress be so shy and socially awkward took a little getting used to. And yet she was made to be a character who had a talent which was essential to the success of any operation the rebels carried out. Even if that operation led to war between the Commonwealth and Lunar.

This series is continuing to be exciting and action filled, with strong characters who are written well and balanced. I'm glad Iko has a new android body so she can be included in all the action these young people become involved in, she's one of my favorite characters. The main characters mostly range in age from approximately 16 to 20 and sweet romance is definitely one of the themes in the novel. Also, the cover art for this series is some of the best I've seen in a long time. It is very distinctive and certainly eye-catching, making these books you will want to keep and display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 11 Feb 2014
Jess (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book, if you enjoyed Cinder and Scarlet, chances are you will love this too. Just gutted that I have to wait another YEAR to find out how it all ends!

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant book! The series gets better and better, 5 Feb 2014
Cress is a fantastic read, which doesn’t take long to devour at all. It’s action packed! It’s not often that a series gets better and better with every book, but (so far) I can safely say that this is the case with the Lunar Chronicles.

I thought the introduction of Cress was brilliant. She’s an innocent character, but she’s also quite feisty. She fits in nicely with Cinder and Scarlet despite being quite different to them. Thorne and Wolf are still brilliant characters. I didn’t see nearly enough of Scarlet (who I think is a fabulous character) but I definitely liked Cinder more then I have done in the previous two books. Cinder is determined and strong. A real leader of the rest. I loved Kai as well, he’s developing wonderfully as a character. I can’t wait to see what happens to them all in Winter.

Marissa Meyer is a wonderful writer. I don’t always like a book that tells the story from many different points of view, but Marissa really makes it work. She is so creative. I don’t know how she thinks of such a wonderful, complex story that fits together so seamlessly, but I’m really glad that she has does. This series really is a pleasure to read. I can’t wait to read Winter.

5.0 out of 5 stars I Need More!, 29 Aug 2014
fredamans (Ontario, Canada) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress (Paperback)
Just when I started thinking how nicely this book brings the story together, it goes and leaves me hanging again. That's okay though. I could read about these characters endlessly.
I need to stress how bad these books need to be made into a tv series or movies. Hello, Mr. Director, are you listening to me?? They came to life in my mind and I'd love to see it visually on screen too.
I still love Cinder. She is literally the coolest cyborg ever! This is coming from someone who generally doesn't get into science-fiction. I guess that's a sure sign it's good reading.
I can't wait for more. Each of the fairytale retellings connect and yet are so different. I seriously can't get enough. I urge all of you to try them too!

5.0 out of 5 stars The lunar chronicles is one of my favourite series and winter is releasing on November 2015 still ..., 10 Dec 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress (Paperback)
Again a cliffhanger?? Why Merrisa Meyer why are you torturing us?? The lunar chronicles is one of my favourite series and winter is releasing on November 2015 still a year left for the fourth book...can't believe this otherwise I wouldn't have started reading the series. Now I need to re-read it again.

Cress, Thorne, cinder, Kai, scarlet, wolf, iko... Wow so many lovely characters

5.0 out of 5 stars My Favourite Series!!!, 31 Oct 2014
This is an amazing 3rd book of The Lunar Chronicles! Normally the first book is the best and then the rest are all average but every one of Meyer's books in this series are great! I cant wait to read the next book! It leaves you on a cliffhanger at the end of each chapter and forces you to read more!! Definitely worth 5 star rating!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress (Paperback)
Excellent product and service. Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next instalment!, 15 Jun 2014
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
it's not often that I'm with a series from the very beginning. Usually, I'm suspicious of book-hype in fear of another 50 Shades, but I picked Cinder up when it came out because I was intrigued by the re-imagining of such a well-known fairytale. I was completely blown away, and once I found out it was a series, well I HAD to have the next one. But oh no, the next boo wasn't out for a year and once I'd devoured that one I had to wait ANOTHER year which I was totally not cool with but it's been worth the wait. I usually get confused when reading a series with that much time inbetween because I forget who everyone is and what happened last time, so I really like how you're not only introduced to a new main character, but also get to see the previous characters in alternate chapters, which really helped jog my memory and meant I didn't have to hunt around for a synopsis of the previous book.

Cress was as fabulous as Cinder and Scarlet, and one of those few books that really makes the fantasy seem real. Even though I knew that there are no evil moon-people and cyborgs, I still completely believed in it because Marissa Meyer write about it so well.

Now just to wait another year for the final instalment...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 8 Jun 2014
Absolutely fantastic! Another brilliant read! This series has to get picked up and made into films! Cress is a brilliant adaptation on Rapunzel!

The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress
The Lunar Chronicles (Book 3) : Cress by Marissa Meyer (Paperback - 6 Feb 2014)