‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

5.0 out of 5 stars Cress, 10 Feb 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 (Paperback)
Cinder and Thorne are still fugitives from both Luna and Earth forces, and along with Scarlet and Wolf are determined to stop Levana’s wedding to Kai and her plans for Earth. Their best hope is to free Cress, a Luna shell who has been stuck alone in a satellite for 7 years but is an excellent hacker. After Cress’s rescue attempt goes terribly wrong the group are separated, and they have to fight to survive and find each other again to have any hope to overthrow Queen Levana.

Cress is the brilliant third book in the Lunar Chronicles and it is just as good as Cinder and Scarlet, as it was fast paced and never dull. Meyer did a good job with the different POVs as she never focused too much on one character and I never got confused about whose mind we were in. However, while I love this book, it had the feel of a middle book as it was mostly set up for the last book, Winter.

I like how Cinder is surer of herself in this book and is will to risk her life for people she has never met, but she is still trying to deal with the morals of using her powers even for good. I also like how, even though they are miles apart, both Kai and Cinder are struggling with their responsibilities even with fighting again the odds. I really liked Cress as she is a very different person from Cinder or Scarlet as she is very nave and not confident but gets past this by pretending to be someone else and going into her own imagination.

I did not get on that well with Thorne in Scarlet, however, I really liked him in this book as we get to see how intentionally heroic yet imperfect he is, although he does remind me a lot of Flynn Rider in Tangled. I felt very sorry for Wolf in this book and I missed Scarlet, as even though she is in this book we did not see as much of her as we did in the last book. My favourite character is Iko as she makes me smile and I hope she gets a happy ending.

We get to see a bit of Winter’s character in this book and I cannot wait to see what happens in the next in the last book. I would recommend Cress to people who enjoyed reading the first 2 books.

4.0 out of 5 stars Still a high standard of quality storytelling., 26 Mar 2014
J. Lesley "(Judy)" (United States) - See all my reviews
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 (Paperback)
As the main character in book three of The Lunar Chronicles it seemed that Cress doesn't get quite as much of the novel dedicated just to her as the two previous books have to their characters. That becomes more understandable when you find that Cinder, Scarlet, and Cress along with all their friends (and enemies) have large roles to play in this adventure. Any reader new to the series will definitely want to begin with the first book, The Lunar Chronicles: Cinder, even though author Marissa Meyer has done a really good job of integrating the backstory of all the characters up to this point. Still, the stories of Cinder and Scarlet are so compelling it would be a shame not to read them.

The contrast in personality between Cress and the other characters is starkly drawn. It really was necessary for me to keep reminding myself of what an isolated life Cress had lived for seven years; alone on the satellite with only periodic visits from Mistress Sybil from Lunar to bring supplies and instructions for computer hacking work Cress was to be assigned. All the other characters in this series are either sure of themselves or at least sure of their mission so having Cress be so shy and socially awkward took a little getting used to. And yet she was made to be a character who had a talent which was essential to the success of any operation the rebels carried out. Even if that operation led to war between the Commonwealth and Lunar.

This series is continuing to be exciting and action filled, with strong characters who are written well and balanced. I'm glad Iko has a new android body so she can be included in all the action these young people become involved in, she's one of my favorite characters. The main characters mostly range in age from approximately 16 to 20 and sweet romance is definitely one of the themes in the novel. Also, the cover art for this series is some of the best I've seen in a long time. It is very distinctive and certainly eye-catching, making these books you will want to keep and display.

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the wait!, 11 Feb 2014
Jess (London, UK) - See all my reviews
I loved this book, if you enjoyed Cinder and Scarlet, chances are you will love this too. Just gutted that I have to wait another YEAR to find out how it all ends!

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 14 July 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 (Paperback)
Excellent product and service. Many thanks.

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't wait for the next instalment!, 15 Jun 2014
Jennifer May (Bristol, England) - See all my reviews
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)
it's not often that I'm with a series from the very beginning. Usually, I'm suspicious of book-hype in fear of another 50 Shades, but I picked Cinder up when it came out because I was intrigued by the re-imagining of such a well-known fairytale. I was completely blown away, and once I found out it was a series, well I HAD to have the next one. But oh no, the next boo wasn't out for a year and once I'd devoured that one I had to wait ANOTHER year which I was totally not cool with but it's been worth the wait. I usually get confused when reading a series with that much time inbetween because I forget who everyone is and what happened last time, so I really like how you're not only introduced to a new main character, but also get to see the previous characters in alternate chapters, which really helped jog my memory and meant I didn't have to hunt around for a synopsis of the previous book.

Cress was as fabulous as Cinder and Scarlet, and one of those few books that really makes the fantasy seem real. Even though I knew that there are no evil moon-people and cyborgs, I still completely believed in it because Marissa Meyer write about it so well.

Now just to wait another year for the final instalment...

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read!, 8 Jun 2014
Absolutely fantastic! Another brilliant read! This series has to get picked up and made into films! Cress is a brilliant adaptation on Rapunzel!

5.0 out of 5 stars Thorne!, 1 Jun 2014
The Lunar Chronicles series is fast becoming one of my all time favourites. The characters have been phenomenal from the start, and that very much continues in Cress. Cress is a welcome addition to the group, a very different character to Cinder and Scarlet but she fits in brilliantly. What I liked most about this book though was Thorne. He's such a likeable character and his dynamic with Cinder is awesome. The progression in the story was great with twists and turns I didn't see coming. Meyer has created a unique, lively and fascinating universe. I honestly think this series would make a wonderful TV series. I didn't want this to end, but I was so pleased with the ending. I can't wait to see what's next!! Princess Winter was introduced briefly, and she was intriguing to say the least..hoping to find out more in book 4!

5.0 out of 5 stars great third installment, 1 Jun 2014
After loving Cinder and Scarlett, I was very excited for book number three. The wider story in the series (war and strife between Earth and Lunar) really gains pace in Cress, in the aftermath of the events at the end of Scarlett.

I loved the character of Cress - Lunar shell and superhacker, left on a satellite between Earth and the moon, working directly for Queen Lavinia. She was a great addition to the team around Cinder and a nice contrast to the existing female protagonists (this is definitely a series with plenty of female characters to admire, although each is quite different).

It was also nice to see a bit more of Thorne in this book, after he'd established himself in Scarlett, he really came into his own in this one. The ending of Cress leaves us with a nice cliffhanger for the next in the series: everything is building towards a big climax, with great characters on all sides waiting to move forwards. I'm looking forward to the next release - this is turning out to be one of the best YA series I've come across in a long while.

5.0 out of 5 stars Magical and Addictive, 28 May 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 (Paperback)
Honestly I always worry about series in case as the authors continues to write and the story dwindles but in this case I didn't need to worry. Marissa delivered. This book kept me going for more to the point where I ignored to do my house chores and on occasion failed to hear someone calling my name. Needless to say it's enchanting and the new character Cress is both engaging and intriguing. I can't wait for the fourth to be released!

5.0 out of 5 stars Bought for my daughter, 12 May 2014
This review is from: The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 (Paperback)
I bought this book for my daughter for her 12th birthday and she is verrrrry fussy. She could not put this book down.

‹ Previous | 1 2 3 | Next ›

The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3
The Lunar Chronicles: Cress: 3 by Marissa Meyer (Paperback - 6 Feb 2014)
5.24