4.0 out of 5 stars The Jolly Christmas Postman
This book was actually bought as a Christmas present, but as fans of Janet and Allan Ahlberg and especially The Jolly Postman, we sneaked a peek {or two}before wrapping it up.
Published on 6 April 2003

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but the original is better.
If you have a choice between the two, then I would get the original version as it will outlast as the more classic of the two. However at Christmas this version works very well and it makes a good Christmas present for small children.

Published on 4 Jan. 2010 by A. Kirk

4.0 out of 5 stars The Jolly Christmas Postman, 6 April 2003
By A Customer
Not quite as funny as The Jolly Postman which is exceptionally entertaining for children and adults alike, The Jolly Christmas Postman is still a very good children's book and one they will ask for again and again. I would say it has appeal to a large age range from as young as 2-3years literally to adult, its one of those books you do actually enjoy reading, makes bedtime effortless!

5.0 out of 5 stars A true delight!, 10 Nov. 2004
KP (Northants, UK) - See all my reviews
This a truly wonderful book, with a great little novelty items in each envelope. The Humpty jigsaw puzzle is my 3year old's favourite. Every page has fabulous illustrations, as you would expect from Janet Ahlberg, with loads of detail - just the sort that children love to pour over. My nearly 6year old daughter also still loves it. Highly recommended!!!

5.0 out of 5 stars timeless classic, 27 Nov. 2001
By A Customer
I think this book is fantastic especially since it was one of my favourites when I was small. There are lots of fun puzzles and bits to look at inside- the sort of thing adults pinch from their children just for fun!!

5.0 out of 5 stars I have yet to find a better, more magical Christmas book, 17 Dec. 2014
Chris M (York) - See all my reviews
(TOP 10 REVIEWER)    (HALL OF FAME REVIEWER)
This review is from: The Jolly Christmas Postman (The Jolly Postman) (Hardcover)
My mother bought this book for me when I was just seven years old (a while ago now!), I was never big into reading but as a child I loved this book and still have my original copy having bought a number of copies since as presents.

If not familiar with The Jolly Postman format, you journey with the very jolly postman and as he delivers the letters you get to open them (some pages double as envelopes), and in each wonderfully illustrated envelope there is an equally beautiful letter or item (humpty dumpty gets a jigsaw of himself that you can help him to put together!). This interactive book really is magical, and made more so by the Christmas element; in my opinion this book is very slightly better than the original ‘Jolly Postman’ book.

This book really makes for a lovely gift and even those children not as keen on reading, like I was, will enjoy this special Christmas book.

5.0 out of 5 stars charming and fun book, 7 Nov. 2003
By A Customer
I bought this book last year for my three year old niece who loves me reading to her. She asks for this book over and over and knows it by heart she always puts all the inserts back very carefully so as not to lose them and often we find her simply amusing herself by looking at the beautiful illustrations. The best christmas book she has had so far.

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice, but the original is better., 4 Jan. 2010
A. Kirk (UK) - See all my reviews

The pictures / text / 'deliveries' are all very good and sufficient to keep interest levels high and the child will return to book a number of times.

5.0 out of 5 stars The Jolly Christmas Postman is far from second class. He is your special delivery worth waiting in for time and time again., 25 July 2012
The Ahlberg duo is the perfect parcel.
The writing and the illustrations are integrated perfectly so each balances the other, placing no doubt in the worthiness of having the distinguished Kate Greenaway medal tacked next to their names.
Children and adults are invited to join this loveable postman on what can only be seen as one of his most important rounds of the year- Christmas time. The anticipation, excitement and magic of this season are all captured within this book.

Along the way we meet classic children's characters from popular fairytales and nursery rhymes. Where we have invited this book into our own private and intimate settings, the reader is rewarded. We too are privileged to observe first hand what the Four Bears would receive in the post from Goldilocks, (as expected not a thank you card for the bear's hospitality,) to seeing that no character is too minor and that there even can be post for the diminutive Gingerbread Boy.
Each character met on this dynamic journey, is personalised and strongly established through clear verse and can easily be recited by any child.
From the point of view of any aspiring writer, there is so much that can be taken and used for personal development. What can be seen as the initial attraction of this children's story is the innovative `craftsmanship' that is evident from just reading the title. Writing a story about a postman, a figure that is unnoticeably present within every child's life and shaping him into a warming and personal character is unique. However, working alongside this with the notion of no matter what age you are, there is a spark of delight when you receive a handwritten envelope in the post. This simplistic idea, which creates escapism from the moment you read the first verse and is written as though being seen straight from a child's point of view, is enviable for any writer.
The tone of the book is so strongly evident; it's light hearted, warming, friendly and comforting. The clarity of the voice, that lacks any edge of a patronising tone that can be evident within some children's books, also combines gentle humour picked upon by adults. Allan Ahlberg has a clear sense of who all his readers are and what they take pleasure in.

The Jolly Christmas Postman encapsulates everything worthy of a timeless, interactive and first class children's book, which every new and old writer strives to be. For years to come not only will children associate this as a magical and integral part of their childhood but adults too will have a keepsake of their own nostalgic memories.
Read this book alone, read it in company, read it quietly, read it out loud but what you must do is read an Ahlberg book and immerse yourself in a work of magic.

5.0 out of 5 stars Ho Ho Ho and a parcel that needs signing for, 17 May 2009
The prolific Ahlberg husband and wife team strike gold again with a Christmas version of their classic 'The Jolly Postman'. There's nothing wrong with capitalizing on a good idea as long as it's done carefully and with integrity; this is a smashing book with lots of fun fairytale characters and interactive bits and bobs fro kids from 3 upwards. Unfortunately my 2 year old daughter got to her bigger sister's version and the extra bits quickly disappeared; however it's a decent price on here and a nice adaptation of timeless kids' favourite.

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely gifts for the whole family, 15 Nov. 2013
I brought this book for my daughter for the run up to Christmas. First I thought that it is quite expensive for a book, when opening all the pages and finding the letters, games etc it is worth every penny. I found it wonderful for myself and reading the book it was a pure delight and I can see my 3.5 year daughter loving this book. The only thing is that I would not recommend this any age lower than three as some of the items are delicate and difficult to get out of the envelopes.

My daughter loves playing games and each of the pages has something special for the nursery rhyme character. I can see that this is going to take us a long time reading as we will have to play all the games as we read the book.

Delightful purchase for any Christmas stocking, any small gift for friend's children. I am certainly looking forward to reading this book with my daughter.

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots in this one book, 5 Jan. 2013
Games, Letters, and all sorts in this book it is lovely but I think I bought it a year too early. My 3 year old loved the big bad wolf and opening all of the envelopes but the story/charactrers were rather lost on him and some of the pieces are rather delicate. The final page is wonderful.

The Jolly Christmas Postman (The Jolly Postman)
The Jolly Christmas Postman (The Jolly Postman) by Janet Ahlberg (Hardcover - 10 Oct. 2013)